Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2008
    NW Indiana
    LP teens compacted in trash

By Matt Fritz

Published: Saturday, January 23, 2010 2:58 AM CST
    Staff writer

LA PORTE — Two city of La Porte teens were compacted inside a garbage truck early Friday morning.

According to a report from the city of La Porte Police Department, a 17-year-old male and 15-year-old female were dumped inside a Waste Management of Indiana garbage truck in an alley behind 701 Maple Ave. and were found relatively unhurt by police at 6:37 a.m.

Officer Kenneth Iliff of the city of La Porte Police Department reported that after learning of the incident, he arrived at the scene to find the kids standing in front of the truck covered in trash, mud and debris.

The truck driver, Jeremy Russell Sr., 34, of La Porte, said he dumped the Dumpster in the alley and returned the Dumpster back to the wall where it was sitting. But when he pressed the compact button he could hear people screaming to be let out.

At first he thought it came from under the truck, then a male voice said they were inside. So he hit the emergency stop and climbed to the top of the truck.

Inside he found that the compactor blade had the male pinned against the wall in the retraction mode and was within inches of severing his body.

The female had already been compacted, but since there were only 10 pick-ups that morning, he said there wasn’t a lot of force when she was being compacted against the rest of the trash.

He said he was amazed that they didn’t wake up when he was moving the Dumpster.

According to the report, both teens said they were just looking inside the Dumpster and the next thing they knew they were in the garbage truck being compacted. Both said they were OK.

When asked for their ages, the male told officers he was 18 and the female said she was 16.

Later, Iliff learned the pair were runaways, and that their true ages were 17 and 15, respectively.

Due to their real ages, and a noticeable injury to the boy’s wrist, the report said Iliff advised for an ambulance, which arrived shortly after and treated the teens.

When the girl’s mother arrived on the scene, she advised Iliff she would transport her daughter to the hospital.

The boy was transported to the hospital by EMS. When his mother arrived and learned her son would be arrested for giving false information to a police officer, she asked that he also be charged for being a runaway since it apparently was a continuous problem.

The girl’s mother asked that her daughter not be charged for being a runaway, advising that she needed physiological help.

The boy was released with minor wrist and hip injuries, as well as mild frost bite on the feet.

WTF! Why someone would choose to sleep in a dumpster is beyond me. I hope they are counting their nine lives!

LotsofGlocks

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Happens all the time is the crazy thing. I worked for a trash company for 2 years. And I couldnt tell you how may times kids would hide in the trash can to scare me or someone. Just plain stupidity and lack of supervison from there parents. :bash:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    needed physiological help

Huh? Is she not conjugating her estriol properly? How is someone going to help her with her physiology?

I am guessing someone misspelled 'psychological' and took the first suggestion on the spell checker.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    My girlfriend called me on Thursday or Friday and told me that her sister's best friend had run away from home with her boyfriend (in La Porte). The girl was 15, but I'm not sure about the boyfriend.

I guess they found them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My guess is that they used the dumpster for basic shelter. While it was warmer this weekend, it wasn't all that warm. Add to that some rain and other weather and I guess that would beat sleeping out in the open.

Still wouldn't be the place that I would pick.

And man, if they were "Doing it" in the dumpster, that is down right disgusting, and well beyond "Kinky."

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    In the hood I grew up in people slept in dumpsters all the time. I was about 10 or 11 when I figured this out. A friend and I were cutting through some apartments on the way to the store and heard rustling in a dumpster as we were walking by. We thought it was an animal and threw a rock in to scare it. Not an animal. Five guys jumped out after we threw the rock in.

Top Bottom