Two Hypotheticals I was wondering about.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Another advamtage of owning a rust bucket. No one would want to steal it but if they tried I can tale the keys out while it's running which I always do so they won't get very far without being able to turn it over when they shut it off haha
    Most car thieves don't steal them because they're nice - well - not unless they're planning on taking it to a chop shop.. Sure - that happens - but I'm not sure what % of thefts happen for this reason.

If your car is stolen because you left it unlocked and running I'd say it's more likely purely a crime of opportunity and not because it's a sweet ride.

All of that said - they can always park it in their garage/somewhere secluded and get to work on the ignition either destroying the lock or doing whatever they need to be able to re-start it without the key. Heck - if the key can come out while it's running chances are just about any similarly shaped key will work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you better be careful with advice, but no Indiana Code quotes. You can't defend yourself to a police officer, or a court by saying, "someone on the internet told me".

And instead of quoting the IC, I recommend you take a class such as defense in the home, or Indiana Gun Law.
    Tactical Firearms Training offers some.
    There are others.
    If you're going to carry a deadly weapon, and have to deal with the court system, you better know what is right and wrong.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    It happened to me once, I drew, he immediately backed away and left. I'm sure he found an unarmed target that night.

Situation 2 I don't leave my car running if I am away from it so it would not happen.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I have heard of cases in which someone shot at the tires or engine of a car that was just stolen by a BG who was driving away and were brought up on charges of attempted murder or something of the sort because he was no longer a threat and the prosecutor probably saw the victim as just a bad shot who missed his intended target. Then you have to prove you weren't shooting to kill a fleeing BG and were trying to hit the tires. Not something I'd want to have to prove. So shooting the tires may not be the best idea. Cars are expensive, but not expensive enough to wind up in jail over it. You could spend a lot more money in legal fees. A lot of times, when cars are stolen, they're found ditched somewhere else. So you may get it back.

Did you miss my purple?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    It happened to me once, I drew, he immediately backed away and left. I'm sure he found an unarmed target that night.

Situation 2 I don't leave my car running if I am away from it so it would not happen.
    Ok, follow up question. After you draw and he runs/backs down, did you call the police or just let him go? I'm asking because I feel anytime I would need to draw my weapon a call to the police would be warranted?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Ok, follow up question. After you draw and he runs/backs down, did you call the police or just let him go? I'm asking because I feel anytime I would need to draw my weapon a call to the police would be warranted?
    While I would like to think I'd like to report it - I'd rather not deal with the line of questioning that would follow - depending on which officer responds I could very well end up disarmed and in cuffs having to defend that what I did was in self defense etc...

Just to many JBT's out there imho. Sad.

If shots were fired then I'd have no choice but to report it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    As a retired LEO I would say to everyone here DO not, I repeat DO NOT, I repeat again, DO NOT, EVER walk away and leave your car running as described here.

Turn it OFF and take the keys with you.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

At the time I lived in a state that did not allow concealed carry, so in that instant I would likely have gone to jail and any description I could have given matched half the city. I do regret not being able to, because this was not some scared kid, this was a really bad guy who had a really crazy look in his eyes. I dare say he has harmed many people before the event, and after it. My family still tells me they will never forget that man, and I smile and tell them he will likely never forget us either. One of the few times he had to change his underwear after an attempted crime. Make no mistake, he was about to die had he come much closer at all. I was very fast and accurate with my handgun, and had NO reservations about dumping several rounds in his body to shut down the attack.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    At the time I lived in a state that did not allow concealed carry, so in that instant I would likely have gone to jail and any description I could have given matched half the city. I do regret not being able to, because this was not some scared kid, this was a really bad guy who had a really crazy look in his eyes. I dare say he has harmed many people before the event, and after it. My family still tells me they will never forget that man, and I smile and tell them he will likely never forget us either. One of the few times he had to change his underwear after an attempted crime. Make no mistake, he was about to die had he come much closer at all. I was very fast and accurate with my handgun, and had NO reservations about dumping several rounds in his body to shut down the attack.
    Ok, I can see not calling given the situation, but if you are in indiana and it happens, I, IMHO, would call so they can get ol crazy eyes off the street or at least be on the lookout. But like mike said, doing that could end up with you in cuffs and trying to defend your actions. I guess this situation is the proverbial double edge sword?

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If someone is dumb enough to bring a knife to a gun fight, so be it. If I clear leather, lead is going to fly. Knife = threat to life/well being = you will be shot.

In the second scenario, #1, I cant leave my car running, as the parking brake is no good and it will roll away. If for some reason I could leave it running and walk away from it, I wouldnt do it in a situation that someone else was nearby. If the first two circumstances arent met, and I still walk away from the vehicle while its still running, the chances of me having a passenger are pretty high (Leaving the car running to keep the heat on/radio going) and in that situation, I doubt they would get away clean. Paying attention to me would take away from the person/s inside, and there is ALWAYS a second gun within reach of the driver/passenger in the car. Pay attention to me, they wont see it coming from the other side, and vice versa.

Top Bottom