Two hunters who shot grizzly 24 times share their stunning story of survival…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    45acp was never a sibling of a much more powerful rd like the 40 Short & Weak.
    What does that have to do with power level? If anything, 45 ACP is the weakling in most standard loads compared to 40 S&W.

If .40 is short and weak, then .45 ACP is fat and weak.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Much more? Granted its been a few years, but the 40 shorty only has 60 ftlbs of energy over 45. So not much.
    I think you misunderstood my post.
    45acp was not weakened down from a more powerful version like the 40 S&W. 40 S&W came from the 10mm so it is different than the 45acp.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What does that have to do with power level? If anything, 45 ACP is the weakling in most standard loads compared to 40 S&W.

If .40 is short and weak, then .45 ACP is fat and weak.
    Everything. They actually increased the 45acp by making a 45 Super or 460 Rowland not decreasing its power over time with a shorter and weaker cartridge.

One was made because the original was to power the other was not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Insane!!! I would've never imagined that 2 full mags into a bear would still not kill it. What a crazy fact. Makes me really scared about going out hunting in nature because these really are everywhere... I mean sure, not Indiana, but STILL if I wanted to go out hunting in the Western Great Plains, I'd get mauled???? Dang, what's a good enough HANDGUN caliber to stop a bear in one shot??
    None. Read the thread. If a griz can take multiple 338 rifle rounds, no handgun is a sure thing.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    We have black bears in Perry and Crawford county.

The number one bear defense pistol is a 9mm with Buffalo Bore or underwood hard cast.

Most pro guides fishing and hunting carry a 12 gauge with slugs. A slug is devastating on anything.

Bears will hold you down and eat you alive legs and arms first then the liver and soft bits then bust your head open for your brain.

Then you become bear poop.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    We have black bears in Perry and Crawford county.

The number one bear defense pistol is a 9mm with Buffalo Bore or underwood hard cast.

Most pro guides fishing and hunting carry a 12 gauge with slugs. A slug is devastating on anything.

Bears will hold you down and eat you alive legs and arms first then the liver and soft bits then bust your head open for your brain.

Then you become bear poop.
    I listened to a podcast a few months ago from an Alaskan guide who took out a Brownie with a S&W Model 39 to save his fishing clients. It was loaded with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast, but I imagine his years of bear knowledge and skill with a handgun had as much or more to do with the outcome than the load.

https://www.americanhunter.org/cont...ishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    Shot placement...as your buddy is being mauled and you have an adrenaline dump coursing through your veins... This is why more rounds are always better. Sure a wheel gun is great and all for hunting, but when it comes to defending my life, I want as many rounds as I can get in a decent caliber.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Trying to hit the vital organ of a bear that is mauling your buddy.

Good luck with that...

Hitches up pants, spits,
    “Seems to me…”

hitting small vital targets when you’re hunting, i.e. you are the ambusher, seems different than when you are the ambushee. Need sumpin’ that tears big deep holes, and lots of them.

Pistol rounds weak for anything larger than a human, and even then …

T’were I hunting or hiking in country containing creatures like “King of the Hill,” somebody in my party would be the designated security element walking point or number 2, carrying in his hands a 12 ga shotgun with a full tube of slugs or maybe a .45-70 lever, ready to go, and he would not be sight-seeing, he’d be looking for ambushes. Most stories I read like this are short range affairs where people surprise the bear and the bear surprises the people.

It’s like them tiger hunters of yore. They essentially went looking to get ambushed. Only two shots in a double rifle, because of technology limitations of the time, but they were in very rightous calibers.

Carry a pistol just in case, then maybe you can shoot yourself while the bear is gnawing on your leg.

Spits again.

Of course you could just carry an AR-15, I heard they are so powerful they will rip the meat right off the bear and just leave the skeleton behind.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hitches up pants, spits,
    “Seems to me…”

hitting small vital targets when you’re hunting, i.e. you are the ambusher, seems different than when you are the ambushee. Need sumpin’ that tears big deep holes, and lots of them.

T’were I hunting or hiking in country containing creatures like “King of the Hill,” somebody in my party would be the designated security element walking point or number 2, carrying in his hands a 12 ga shotgun with a full tube of slugs or maybe a .45-70 lever, ready to go, and he would not be sight-seeing, he’d be looking for ambushes. Most stories I read like this are short range affairs where people surprise the bear and the bear surprises the people.

It’s like them tiger hunters of yore. They essentially went looking to get ambushed. Only two shots in a double rifle, because of technology limitations of the time, but they were in very rightous calibers.

Carry a pistol just in case, then maybe you can shoot yourself while the bear is gnawing on your leg.

Spits again.

Of course you could just carry an AR-15, I heard they are so powerful they will rip the meat right off the bear and just leave the skeleton behind.
    I have read reports of rifle hunters that were killed by bears where the rifles were found unfired with shattered stocks and barrels bent from bears swatting it out of their hands. While maintaining vigilance at all times sounds good in theory, much of bear country in Alaska is incredibly thick at ground level limiting visibility to just a few yards. The regular rain and fog don't help much either. The terrain in the linked article looks pretty thick as well, plus the bear was partially burrowed into the ground before surprising the hunters.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have read reports of rifle hunters that were killed by bears where the rifles were found unfired with shattered stocks and barrels bent from bears swatting it out of their hands. While maintaining vigilance at all times sounds good in theory, much of bear country in Alaska is incredibly thick at ground level limiting visibility to just a few yards. The regular rain and fog don't help much either. The terrain in the linked article looks pretty thick as well, plus the bear was partially burrowed into the ground before surprising the hunters.
    No guarantees in life, but a person is ready to shoot with the correct weapon in his hand is way ahead of everyone else.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hitches up pants, spits,
    “Seems to me…”

Spits again.

200w.gif

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jakeblackwell
    Top Bottom