• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    So it's often stated that "with modern hollow point ammunition, 9mm, .40, and .45 are all about the same". But what about non hollow point ammo? I know very few people who actually have the ability to amass thousands of rounds of JHP ammo, most people stock FMJ. So, in a SHTF scenario, where you have run out of JHP ammo, what caliber would you choose? stick with 9mm so you can put more rounds on target? swap to .45 to make a bigger hole? rely on the speed energy of a .40 to open a big cavity? What are your thoughts?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Shot placement is much more critical than caliber.

Remember, David killed Goliath with a rock and a string.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I agree, competance with the firearm and shot placement play a much larger role than caliber, especially the three you listed.

All 3 of those calibers are common in use, and widely available.

You can make srguments all day long about capacity, terminal ballistics, etc, but really they all kinda fall into the ford or chevy argument.

Train train train on what you own and don't sweat it.

Of course, having said that, with the line of thought you are on, I would go with a double stack in 45 acp. Nothing says hello quite like a .45!:D

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Right, that's kinda my point. most choose JPH on how well it works, how well they shoot it, etc. I dont know about you guys, but I choose what i shoot also on statistical data of stoppage, i.e. data on that mythical "One Shot Stop". Now, take away the thing that levels the playing field, the "modern JHP ammo", and would you still choose based on the same thing? Would you trust a .45 to stop someone faster than a 9, since the 9 no longer has that equalizer?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Well as they say 9mm might expand, but .45 will never shrink.

I can shoot either 9 or 40 or 45 pretty much the same across the board. But when it comes to FMJ I pick big and slow over small and fast nine times out of ten. Just personal preference and nothing more.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In a SHTF scenario, I would be most concerned with the availability of ammo. No matter how good my preps, stuff happens and what if something happens to my stash or it gets used up? So, I'm trying to figure out what caliber would be most common and most likely to have sources- my guess, 9mm Luger, second place, 9x19, third, 9mm NATO.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    In a SHTF scenario, I would be most concerned with the availability of ammo. No matter how good my preps, stuff happens and what if something happens to my stash or it gets used up? So, I'm trying to figure out what caliber would be most common and most likely to have sources- my guess, 9mm Luger, second place, 9x19, third, 9mm NATO.

That's why my EDC has two barrels for it :yesway::draw:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Oddly enough, just posted on placement and bullet performance over here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...6-average_firefight_rounds-4.html#post3818496

Given that all the major duty calibers penetrate adequately, FMJ can do just fine if you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Most folks I know typically stock about 50/50 JHP/FMJ, depending on what they can afford (some a bit more or less depending).

Can sure make a big difference in the budget.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    In a SHTF scenario I'm going with my AR and my 1911.
    My normal EDC is a Kahr PM9 (6+1 capacity) and a spare mag of Hornady Critical Defense. When those 13 rounds are spent I'm switching to my 1911.
    Going with my 1911 over my kahr I gain:
    2 rounds of capacity per mag (6 rounds up to 8 rounds)
    1/10 inch larger diameter bullet (.355 to .452)
    double my bullet weight from 115 to 230 grain (FMJ)
    Keep velocity of the bullet the same with a 5" instead of a 3" barrel.
    Easier to reload magazines of .45 than 9mm.
    If all else fails getting hit in the face by a 2 lb steel brick hurts more than a 1 lb plastic one.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I'm pretty sure if I have to break out my stash, over penetration is the least of my concerns. My biggest concern is what can I stash more of? That turns out to be 9mm.

Top Bottom