• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    So I'm turning to the brain trust one more time to get some suggestions.
    :D

I need a TV and internet provider. Does anyone have suggestions or experiences (good or bad) with companies for the Indianapolis area?

Thanks in advance! :yesway:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Ive had Comcast, DirectTV, and Dish Network. Here's a bit of insight for you.

Comcast, while having a bad rap for throttling internet, billing problems, poor customer service, etc is probably the easiest company IMO. They can provide you with both tv and internet on one bill, through one line. The internet will have decent speed, and as long as your aren't using a ton of p2p programs or using a ton of bandwidth, you shouldn't have throttling problems. The cable is all around pretty good, depending on the package, but you will have a good set of standard channels, good pic quality, and you can upgrade to packages with a lot more channels, more HD, and DVR, etc.

DirectTV, IMO is probably the best provider for just TV based on their standard channel packages and HD options. Their package upgrades are mostly for premium channels (HBO, Starz, MAX, etc) and not for the basics that you're used to. The only real problem I see is that they don't have an internet option. You'll have to go through ATT/Verizon to get DSL (YUCK!) or Comcast to get cable internet, and if you're doing that why not just get Comcast cable?

Dish Network. One word....SUCKS! I currently have Dish because that's what the apt complex I live at have wired in to every unit, and they give a decent price on TV and internet. The standard "Top 100" package is a joke giving you only about 1/2 of the standard channels that the other 2 give you, and along with that you have a infomercial or home shopping channel listed about every 2nd or 3rd channel on the guide (hope that makes sense). If you upgrade to the "Top 200" or "Top 250" packages each one only gives you a couple new "useful" channels that you may need that you get standard from other companies, so you really need to get the top package, with which you'll be over the prices of the other most likely. And again, you're running into the problem that you need another internet provider.

Also, one thing to note is that Comcast will use the cable internet to run your DVR and box top purchases, while the 2 satellite providers will need a phone line to work.

To sum it up, my #1 choice would be DirectTV with some package upgrades along with Comcast cable internet. That would be followed closely (because of ease) by Comcast cable (with a few upgrades) and internet. And in 3rd it would be DirectTV with DSL (ATT or Verizon I suppose). In NO WAY will I ever use Dish again!

Hope that helps.

Edit: I think Bright House is also a company in Indy. I have used their service while living over the summer with someone down there, and from a purely user exp. they seemed comparable to Comcast.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I have Dish Network for TV etc and Comcast for internet, as aclark said they have a habit of throttling internet speed but it seems better after they just lost a $16m class action against them for this.
    My friends have U-Verse which they love and that is what I'll get once my 2 yr contract runs out with Dish in October.
    Do not get satellite modem it's super slow and super expensive, which is why I have Comcast for that, also Comcast give you a free anti-virus program shame I have a Mac and not a PC so it doesn't help me

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    JDonhardt, i have multiple companies servicing my area, that's why i'm looking for some constructive feedback.

aclark, great breakdown. thanks for the info!

a-brit, any problems with u-verse freezing up with your friends? i'm guessing not if they love it. i had some friends that changed because of that problem. thanks.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    if you can, Verizon FIOS.

I can't wait for it to be available where I live. that 20/20Mb package has my name all over it :rockwoot:

For now, I have comcast, and to be honest it is pretty craptastic, but I prefer it over AT&T which is my only other option.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    My wife had Uverse when she was living near Indy. It was awesome. Her parents have it as well. You were able to record several items at the same time, and play back on any tv in the home.

It's not available here in So. Indiana yet. Our choice? Skip paying tons of $ for a service that does not come close to Uverse (Insight, DirectTV, or Dish). Instead, we have AT&T for internet, and then use Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. and Netflix for the TV. It works out great for us, and saves a ton of money for ammo!

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    We have had quite a few and for the price I'd stay stick with Comcast. They run so many promotions that if you stay on top of them, you can end up saving a lot more money. For instance right now we only pay 45.00 for internet and cable for 12 months. Then when the 12 months is up, we just call and get onto another one. Depending on who you get as a sales rep sometimes they give you new customer deals that come with hbo, or sports packages.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    So I'm turning to the brain trust one more time to get some suggestions.
    :D

I need a TV and internet provider. Does anyone have suggestions or experiences (good or bad) with companies for the Indianapolis area?

Thanks in advance! :yesway:

Loaded question that depends on where you live. For example if you live in Marion county if you live inside City/gov limits it's BrightHouse, outside it's Comcast, if you live withing 18,000 from one of ATT's switching stations you can get ATT U-verse.

Of course this all depends on where you live, this helps to know.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    Comcast, while having a bad rap for throttling internet, billing problems, poor customer service, etc is probably the easiest company IMO. They can provide you with both tv and internet on one bill, through one line. The internet will have decent speed, and as long as your aren't using a ton of p2p programs or using a ton of bandwidth, you shouldn't have throttling problems. The cable is all around pretty good, depending on the package, but you will have a good set of standard channels, good pic quality, and you can upgrade to packages with a lot more channels, more HD, and DVR, etc.

Ditto,.. to everything aclark said. I've been using Comcast for TV and 'interweb for about five years now.
    No complaints at all.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    We have had quite a few and for the price I'd stay stick with Comcast. They run so many promotions that if you stay on top of them, you can end up saving a lot more money. For instance right now we only pay 45.00 for internet and cable for 12 months. Then when the 12 months is up, we just call and get onto another one. Depending on who you get as a sales rep sometimes they give you new customer deals that come with hbo, or sports packages.

yea was thinking about this, but forgot to mention it. just call and say you want to cancel because without the promo its not worth the money to you. they will do what they can to keep you as a customer, which is usually giving you another promo.

As far as Uverse seems like you got some feedback there, and since I havent used it at all I wont even try to chime in on it.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    To get U-verse, you gotta have a VRAD(click) in your neighborhood and be within about 3k ft from it(local wire loop, not a straight line)

Not sure about locations other than the northern half of lake county and areas I worked down by Indy, Anderson, and Muncie.

Top Bottom