• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sam1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    :dunno:have always wondered about these do they rotate so you don't have to screw in and out dies? are they as solid practically as say a rockchucker jr?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    yes you buy extra turrets and after you set your dies your good to go....you just swop turrets.....just loaded a 100 45acp just a few min's ago....took less than 20 min's:rockwoot:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Seems a common choice

Lots of guys started out with and are still using Rockchuckers. I use a Dillon 550B for volume loading which is the large majority for me. If I was going to do competitive target shooting, I would go back to the Rockchucker. The really nice thing about the Dillon (maybe others also) is that you can set up a toolhead for a particular caliber then just change the heads when you change calibers. Easy to do as it is to say. The Dillon powder measure is accurate to plus or minus .1 grain. Good enough for the rifle shooting we do.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Lee turret and a Rockchucker and like both. The past few years, I have used the turret more. One of the best features , IMO , is the time savings of going from one caliber to another. I add a Lee's pro auto-disk powder measure to each turret head / caiber I get. For plinking, I have never noticed any difference in quality of the rounds I have produced from one to the other.

Now, my son uses the rockchucker. He is a 12 year old and whenever he claims to be bored, I nip that in the butt quickly by giving him 500 .357 sig cases and have him run them thru a .40 S & W die (carbide). This saves me from lubing them later on the turret using the steel sizing die.

inFALable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Hamilton Co.
    I've used a Redding Turret press for 5 years or so. It works well. It contributes very little run out to the ammunition.

For my long range ammo I load on a Harrel's precision turret press. It is much more finely made that factory built turret presses.

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I also have a Lee turret. The 2 things I like are not having to screw in and out dies (or check the adjustment) when I change calibers, and you can run several steps on a case by just rotating the turret and re-pressing. It saves on case handling time. When I do pistol brass, I pretty much do it from start to finish on each case. I polish the case with the primer still in. Then I size and de-cap on the upstroke and on the down stroke prime (for the pistol I don't worry about cleaning the primer pocket), rotate the turret, neck expand on the upstroke and dispense the powder (the Lee dies allow powder to be dispensed right through the top of the expander die), rotate, place a bullet in and seat on the upstroke. Depending on the caliber you can roate again to taper crimp, or if it is a roll crimp its already done with the seating step. For rifle, I lube, size and decap, then clean the brass, then do the rest of the steps together like I do for the pistol. The Lee press comes with an auto index kit that does the turning for you, but I've never gotten it to work that well, so I just rotate manually. I think its just as fast. Usually you're reaching for something like a bullet or a primer and can easily manage to rotate the turret at the same time you're pulling up the ram lever.

Top Bottom