• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    O'Bannon State Park near Corydon is an underused park. There have been times when we have been the only ones camped in a section. This was in July and August during the week. There is lots to do around the area, from Corydon and Leavenworth and just watching the Ohio River.

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Turkey Run has a special place in my soul. Ive been going there every year since I was 6. I'm now 29. I highly recommend camping at Cherokee Village though. Its right down the road from Turkey Run Camp Ground. The primitive area is far superior to any sites in Parke County.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well if kids get on your nerves, I'd say stay out of the State Parks and head more to the State Recreational Areas. The SRA's have much larger sites, you won't be crammed in on top of each other like in the state parks. Go in the off seasons and you'll be less likely to run into children. What's your beef with kids anyway, weren't you a kid once?

You're just asking for misery if you go to a state park. They're always crawling with children.

No i was never a kid, I was always to afraid of what my father would do to me to get in trouble or to embarrass him. Plus we find children to be useless. At 2 years old a child is still useless, at 2 years old a dog can fetch and do tricks.
    Not to mention children are not good financial investments. And they whine and cry, and invade your camp and then they trip over a tent rope, then there parents get in a huge fuss. Then they see a pistol on you and they just walk away. Really all the situations end up solving themselves, but we just hate kids.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well if kids get on your nerves, I'd say stay out of the State Parks and head more to the State Recreational Areas. The SRA's have much larger sites, you won't be crammed in on top of each other like in the state parks. Go in the off seasons and you'll be less likely to run into children. What's your beef with kids anyway, weren't you a kid once?

You're just asking for misery if you go to a state park. They're always crawling with children.

No i was never a kid, I was always to afraid of what my father would do to me to get in trouble or to embarrass him. Plus we find children to be useless. At 2 years old a child is still useless, at 2 years old a dog can fetch and do tricks.
    Not to mention children are not good financial investments. And they whine and cry, and invade your camp and then they trip over a tent rope, then there parents get in a huge fuss. Then they see a pistol on you and they just walk away. Really all the situations end up solving themselves, but we just hate kids.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    What is this about the Tunnel being closed? Never having been there, I don't know what this tunnel is. Is it a main attraction in the park?

91silvia

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Turkey Run, Spring Mill and Mcormicks Creek in that order.

I would also have to agree with this. I found clifty falls to be poorly maintained and dirty. As well, I remember the trails being so poorly marked that we hiked an extra 5 miles or so just to get back on track with where we wanted to go :noway:

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I would go to Turkey Run as a personal choice. My second choice would have to be McCormicks Creek. They are both very nice parks. (and turkey run is only a couple minutes away lol) Assuming its warm enough, you should go tubing down sugar creek. It's only $5 if I remember right. But if you take any alcohal, make sure you take your ID's also. CO's sit along the side of the creek tell people to pull over to check ID's :rolleyes:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I just got done yesterday sorting my travel bookmarks. For Indiana, I have been to Clifty Falls back in the late 90s. Unfortunately, the trail back to the falls was closed. DNR had put up a barricade due to a rock slide or something. I really just don't remember it that much. My favorite park is Turkey Run. This year, I hope to hit up Shades. I went to Shades back in the mid-90s and I just remember it being flat and boring compared to Turkey Run. I guess I must have been too young to really take in the park as I have heard Shades is similar to Turkey Run, just less facilities.

A few years ago, finally got back to Spring Mill SP and Brown Co. SP. Spring Mill is neat, but go when the village is open and up and running. Brown Co. SP is very nice as well. We didn't do any hikes in Brown Co. due to the weather (wet) but it has some very nice outlooks.

Late last year, visited Mounds SP in Anderson. Hadn't been there since the mid-90s and it is very nice. A very cool visitor's center, in addition to a lot of history. Walking around the Indian ceremonial mounds was neat. I went during the week and there was no one there early on. They had just a handful of people walking dogs, taking hikes, running. Very peaceful considering how big Anderson itself is.

Last year I also visited Fort Harrison SP in the NE part of Indy. I always thought that this park was flat grasslands, so I never visited. It has been open about 10 years, and for those years I have lived just miles from this place. It is actually a decent place for hiking. Nothing to fancy, but nice and quite when I was there.

Outside of the state park system, check out the Hoosier Nat'l Forest. I hear the Sycamore Loop/Trail is a nice hike. Deam Wilderness Some other areas of interest might be:

-Whiteriver Gorge Trail Whitewater Gorge Trail
    (Note: If you go and visit this trail, Google the highest point in Indiana. It isn't too far from this trail.)
    -Cataract Falls area .::Cataract Falls::. Indiana - Home (This is actually within the state system, a state recreation area).

Also, if you are willing to drive, you might want to check out some of the surrounding states as well. I hear KY state parks, at least some of them, put Indiana's to shame. I'm looking at a trip to Cumberland SP and Red River Gorge area, both within the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forest in Eastern KY. There is also the Shawnee Nat'l Forest area in S. Illinois and the Hocking Hills area in Ohio (SE of Columbus).

Note: Back in the mid-90s, my high school had a PE summer school class that was different than most PE classes. We traveled, had great times doing things at school, and away from school. It was during this time that I actually visited Brown Co., Spring Mill, Shades, McCormicks, Spring Mill, and Mounds state parks. All I can say is that get your kids out to these places, and make sure to take them when they are older as well. It wasn't till many years later that I would finally revisit these parks. Living in Indy, everything was always a drive, so I just kinda skipped out on visiting the parks. Looking back, I regret I hadn't visited more often since I love the outdoors and hiking. This year, I'm getting a yearly pass for Indiana parks, and I'm definitely going to visit the Hoosier Nat'l Forest to hike the Sycamore Trail/Loop and go and see Cataract Falls.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    We plan on doing everything out of our campsite, no hotels, no resturants, we just want peace and relaxation, and nice scenery. And we hate children, the less little bastards running around making noise the better. Also, I know Turkey Run is as gun friendly as places get, what about Clifty?

Like most Indiana campgrounds you would enjoy them both. But I would recomment staying hidden in your Norhern woods if you hate children and think they are little bastards. Most campers are family folks and you would probally not fit in.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Like most Indiana campgrounds you would enjoy them both. But I would recomment staying hidden in your Norhern woods if you hate children and think they are little bastards. Most campers are family folks and you would probally not fit in.

That's ok, I open carry all the time, so I don't fit in most places I go. But some of the family folk I have met camping don't know how to control there children, so I figure not fitting in with most family folk is a good thing.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    We have decided, and we are definitely going to Clifty Falls. Should be a great time, just hope its not too rainy in April.

Top Bottom