• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    My cousin and I will be hunting on our land for turkey come the opening of the season. Neither of us have ever hunted turkey or anyone on our property for that matter. We see them every now and then walking out of the tree line directly behind our house.

Since neither of us having any turkey hunting experience, I was hoping that all of you with your vast turkey hunting knowledge and experience would make a recommendation for a website with a beginner's guide or just write down some tips and pointers for my first time out. All I know right is to choke the 12 guage, wear plenty of camo, call with an owl or crow call to locate them in the morning, and shoot for the head.

coonslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    i have ben turkey huntin for 5 years now and have yet to get one called plenty in but always seem to get skittish i know that when u see turkeys in early year there usally not there when season rolls around and u want to get as close to were they roost at so u can get the toms when they fly down beofore the they hen up and yes blinds are legal i got a 20 dollar fold out one thats just fine for two people from wal mart

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Pattern your birds. Know where they are going and be there before they get there.
    You wanna be where turkeys want to go. Turkeys are pretty easy to pattern. Toms like to display in open areas so hens can see them. I have good luck in open areas.
    Use a couple of dekes, and call softly to startout. You can always increase volume if nothing gobbles or you don't see anything.
    Blinds are legal.
    Check out National Wild Turkey Federation.
    Good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    +1 for NWTF

Practice your cammo skills and as was said above you have to be still. Do your scouting now to see where the birds are moving around at on your property.

ryanrw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    For what it's worth, I never use locator calls. But, I know where they are before the season rolls around. That is your best "locator call". Try to get a close to where they fly down as you can without spooking them off the roost. That is your best chance at nailing one early.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Woodland turkey hunting is probably my favorite, probably more challenging than crop fields as there is less predictablility in movement to where they feed.:twocents:

Being well concealed and very still is critical. I usually look around before calling for some good cover like a fallen tree or weeds/brush to sit in (use tick repellent!). I have had jakes come right up to where they could peck on the muzzle of my shotgun when setting this way. Camo everything except your eyes.:)

Not being a good caller I have to depend on camo and the 10 gauge for a clean shot.:biggun:

Top Bottom