• ...and so much more!
  • jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Going to tumble some brass, I thought someone once told me not to use brass polish with ammonia in it, I am not for sure about this, have some brasso is it safe to use ? Would you put it in at the start of the process ? :dunno:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    While on the subject, what is a good additive, or what do you do to polish your brass? I've read about putting a dryer sheet in to keep down the dust, Turtle wax but it is the internet. I like to make mine real shiney, but I wonder about wear and tear. What say you? :popcorn:

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    I just use it the way I buy it at the store maybe let it run longer and it comes out like new with exception maybe of the primer pockets which I do a little extra work on.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Amonia will cause brass to change its temper and become brittle if exposed for long enough periods. For a lot of years now all I've used is ground walnut hull with a good squirt of any liquid car polish. Add the polish with the machine running and allow it to run 5 minutes or so before adding your brass. Run for an hour or a little more and you get brass that looks like new, or better, and has a wax finish that helps to protect against contaminants that cause corrosion. The drier sheet does help to contain some of the dust and lead deposits from the spent primer compound.

Those who will tell you to run corn cob media and allow it to run overnight or some other extended period of time just haven't learned yet.:D

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Hey thanks for the tip on the car wax, I will give it a try, got the walnut media from pet smart this morning my daughter seen the bag she thought we got a bird.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    Corn cob media. I have used the Frankford Arsenal polish, which is OK. Iosso gives high shine, but I believe it has some ammonia in it. My latest fave is Flitz, which gives high shine and low odor.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    If you only have Brasso use it, but leave the lid of the tumbler off so the fumes can evaporate. I have over 17 loadings on brass polished with Brasso/walnut and no ill effects. Otherwise use car polish (or my favorite) Lyman Turbo Brite Brass Polish. When using the Lyman Polish the cases come out a little cloudy so I put the tumbled brass in a folded bath towel and roll the towel till the haze on the cases is gone.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I tumbled 500-Pcs .223 brass used the crushed walnut I got from pet smart and some car wax I had, they looked really good and it was cheap, I will continue to use this process "Thanks for all the info"

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Car wax works ok, but Dillon polish or Flitz tumbler additive really shine.
    I would think if you use brasso on brass and use the brass until its life is up fairly quick, you should be ok. But if you use brasso and plan on hanging onto the brass for many years, you'll have problems.

In my new Thumlers Rotary Tumbler, all I've added is liquid dish shop and and water and the brass comes out amazing...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i use corncob media and flitz..... i dont like walnut hulls... while it does make short work of its its overly aggresive in my opinion.... i also have the luxory of tumbling brass for a very long time so i dont need it done in an hour.... i am on my same batch of corncob and flitz that i have been using for many many thousands of casings and its still working strong.

gasman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lyman turbo boost for tumbling will cause the liner in a Thumler's Tumbler to swell. Don't do this.:noway:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    NuFinish works.

I use walnut media and reduce the tumble time. I just like it clean - I don't need a mirror finish

Top Bottom