• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Just ran my first load of 45 th my vibrating tumbler. Use Fitz media additive since the regular Fitz does such a great job on regular metals. They came out sparkling after 2 hrs. Question, do you need to add new polish additive each time you use the tumbler? Also, how do you know when the media (corn cob in my case) needs changing? Thanks---

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I use the Lyman Treated corn cob. I only add Flitz to it every 5 to ten loads. The media will get to the point it no longer polish's well, that's the time to change it.

Use a used dryer sheet in your loads to help collect dirt.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use Nu-Finish or something similar. I add every other time I tumble. Your best bet is to try another tumbler full and watch it to see how it looks then add if needed.
    The media will get pretty black, again you just need to see how it polishes, when its taking longer and longer its time to change. We've got media that's probably 2 yrs old if not older that we are still using.
    I run mine at night, I let it run till I get up in the morning. It probably needs changed, but like I said I run it while I'm sleeping.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    No experience with Flitz, but the advantage of using an auto polish such as Nu-Finish is that it applies a coating of polish to the case preventing tarnish later on.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Second Nu Finish. Been using it for a few years now with no complaints. Add a full cap to each new load and let the tumbler run for 2-3 minutes to mix things up. Shut off the tumbler, add brass, and let it run for a few hours (sometimes overnight for a lot of brass).

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Second Nu Finish. Been using it for a few years now with no complaints. Add a full cap to each new load and let the tumbler run for 2-3 minutes to mix things up. Shut off the tumbler, add brass, and let it run for a few hours (sometimes overnight for a lot of brass).

One capful with each new load? WOW, IMO you're using way to much, a capful should last for at least 4/5 or even more tumble loads.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I used Flitz in the beginning, too. I tried about a half dozen other things and landed on Scratch X.

meguiars-scratch-x-2-0-7-oz-scratch-and-blemish-remover-330x395.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nu Finish and pet store walnut here, with a used drier sheet for grime collection. Cleans brass up quite nicely in an hour in the CV-750.

Always looking for a better mix though. Where's the best pricing on the Scratch X 2.0? Looks like Amazon is no longer price competitive on a lot of automotive products... :xmad:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nu Finish and pet store walnut here, with a used drier sheet for grime collection. Cleans brass up quite nicely in an hour in the CV-750.

Always looking for a better mix though. Where's the best pricing on the Scratch X 2.0? Looks like Amazon is no longer price competitive on a lot of automotive products... :xmad:
    I bought the last bottle I picked up for a little over eleven bucks at either an Auto Zone or NAPA. Can't remember which... The comparative at WalMart is in a yellow bottle called Scratch Out and it's about eight bucks and change (last I looked...it's been awhile. That stuff lasts forever).

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've been using liquid Flitz to polish brass for many years. It does a great job. A little goes a long way. I usually add just a half teaspoon or so every time I run my Lortone tumbler. I use the liquid Flitz on my wife's silver, too.

oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    Just so everyone knows the Fitz I used that worked so well is made specifically for tumbler usage. It's called "Fitz Tumbler/Media Additive". The copy on the front panel states "Cuts tumbling time in half. Cleans,polishes and protects brass and nickel. Suitable for corn cob,walnut or other media. Ammonia free. No build up." I assume (??) it is a different formula than regular Fitz.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just so everyone knows the Fitz I used that worked so well is made specifically for tumbler usage. It's called "Fitz Tumbler/Media Additive". The copy on the front panel states "Cuts tumbling time in half. Cleans,polishes and protects brass and nickel. Suitable for corn cob,walnut or other media. Ammonia free. No build up." I assume (??) it is a different formula than regular Fitz.
    It may be a little different formula than the regular liquid Flitz, but the regular liquid Flitz contains no ammonia and can be used on just about any metal and even blued steel guns. I use walnut media. I used to use corn cob, but walnut cleans a little quicker for me. The corn cob puts a higher polish on the brass, though. I change out my walnut media when it doesn't clean well any longer.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I am another believer in Nu-Finish. It brings a great shine, and the casings don't seem to have much fine dust on them when I pull them out when i use it.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I use nu finish and i put about a tablespoon in every tumbler load. Run about an hour and a half. I soak my brass in simple green for a couple hours previous and they come out shiny nd clean. Its what works for me. Experiment and have fun with it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, some of you are talking about Fitz and others are talking about Flitz. Which is it? Both? I do not make enough money to use Flitz in my tumbler. IMO it is a rather pricey polish that I use sparingly on stainless steel firearms and when I am polishing mating surfaces during trigger jobs, etc. My last tube lasted me about 15 years. I have hardly put a crease in my current tube which I have owned for going on three years.

For the tumbler I use NU-Finish. Cheap, readily available and does the job. After all, I'm just going to take them to the range and shoot them again.:) None of my reloads have made it to a display case...yet.:)

Top Bottom