• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My son and I traveled from Fort Wayne to ORD to JAC (Jackson, WY) for a vacation. We both carried our pistols in our checked baggage. He checked a Taurus 1911 and a Springfield XD .40 S&W. I checked a Glock 26. All three arrived safely.

However, we each concealed a knife in our bags. I had a Kershaw Storm like this one:

Kershaw® Storm Knives : Cabela's

My son had a Winchester pocket knife, similar to my Kershaw. The knives were concealed in the bag so that the only way anyone would know they were there is by the X-ray done to inspect the bags. We know my son's bag was inspected TSA because they left their calling card in the case. There was no calling card in my bag.

When we arrived in JAC, our knives were gone. No one else had access to the bags except the TSA in Fort Wayne. They had to X-ray the bags because we declared the firearms were int he bags. The X-rays would have revealed the knives in the bag. This is the only way anyone would have known the knives were there. Clearly, the TSA people saw the knives in the X-ray, opened the bags and removed the knives.

We will pursue redress and we will report it to the supervisors at Fort Wayne International Airport. Still, I doubt anything will come of it. They will investigate and do nothing. The frustrating thing is that this is not the first time those TSA people have stolen things from my bag.

Yep, our recovery dollars are at work—hiring thieves to examine our bags for valuables they can later pawn. Makes me proud to be an American, it does!!

Thanks for letting me rant! It will help me calm down soon

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Are you sure that TSA only had access to them? REALLY sure? Because I can name a few others that did........ :)

They scan all the bags the go onto a plane. Even if they are checked, even if you don't declare anything.

Things do get looked into, you just have to know the right people to call...... just calling up the TSA and getting mad at them will not get you far at all.

There was a guy that complained about someonething on one of our flights the other day and was fired up but knew who to call and ask for and he got to near the top and trust me.... questions were being asked, I saw first hand.

Will you get your knives back? No....... but next time it might help you some to check your bags once you pick them up at your destenation....... when stuff is missing take it to the lost bags people and complain on the spot...... the longer you wait the easier it is for them to think that you removed them then complained.

Again chances are high that it was not TSA and was a bag monkey... hopefully they have cameras on people that inspect the bags....... hint......

If you want to know who to talk to PM me with the airline you flew with and at the very least I can tell you who all to ask for.... people that most passengers would never think of.

Last edited:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    So many people without jobs and you have to be victimized by working thieves. Next time I would have a manager personally check your luggage before and after it's loaded. Maybe they will start compensating for the working thief.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My understanding of TSA search procedures is that if they search your bag by hand, they must insert a "leave behind" notice that advises the owner. Perhaps this process has been changed. My gut feel is that you got taken by the airline bag handlers and not TSA. Good luck in your pursuit.

FWIW, I leave anything home or ship it to a known address ahead of time if my items have any sentimental or replacement value....

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Are you sure that TSA only had access to them? REALLY sure? Because I can name a few others that did........ :)

They scan all the bags the go onto a plane. Even if they are checked, even if you don't declare anything.

Things do get looked into, you just have to know the right people to call...... just calling up the TSA and getting mad at them will not get you far at all.

There was a guy that complained about someonething on one of our flights the other day and was fired up but knew who to call and ask for and he got to near the top and trust me.... questions were being asked, I saw first hand.

Will you get your knives back? No....... but next time it might help you some to check your bags once you pick them up at your destenation....... when stuff is missing take it to the lost bags people and complain on the spot...... the longer you wait the easier it is for them to think that you removed them then complained.

Again chances are high that it was not TSA and was a bag monkey... hopefully they have cameras on people that inspect the bags....... hint......

If you want to know who to talk to PM me with the airline you flew with and at the very least I can tell you who all to ask for.... people that most passengers would never think of.

It was TSA. No doubt. The knives were hidden in such a way no one would know they were there unless they saw the X-ray. I know the routine, but htis is the third time this has happened flying out of FWA. It has to be the TSA agents. No one else would know to look in both bags, dig through the bag to the bottom, lift up the concealment cover and then find the weapon. Had to be someone who saw the X-ray, opened the bag and then knew where to look in BOTH bags. TSA - no doubt!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My understanding of TSA search procedures is that if they search your bag by hand, they must insert a "leave behind" notice that advises the owner. Perhaps this process has been changed. My gut feel is that you got taken by the airline bag handlers and not TSA. Good luck in your pursuit.

FWIW, I leave anything home or ship it to a known address ahead of time if my items have any sentimental or replacement value....

A notice was placed in my son's bag. I did not receive a tag. Both bags were opened because both bags had a knife hidden deep inside and both were removed. It had to be TSA agents who saw the X-ray, knew which bag to open and where to look. Again, this is the third time it has happened to me. TSA is a group of thieves—at least in Fort Wayne.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It was TSA. No doubt. The knives were hidden in such a way no one would know they were there unless they saw the X-ray. I know the routine, but htis is the third time this has happened flying out of FWA. It has to be the TSA agents. No one else would know to look in both bags, dig through the bag to the bottom, lift up the concealment cover and then find the weapon. Had to be someone who saw the X-ray, opened the bag and then knew where to look in BOTH bags. TSA - no doubt!

When they run things trhough x-ray it is pretty easy to tell when stuff is hidden (trust me I took their x-ray test for applicants and scored higher then anyone and finished faster then anyone in a while..... took them 2 years to call me though haha).

When they dig through everything things don't stay were they belong, if they find or know something is hidden they will pull it out of it's hiding spot to check it out.. chances are they just trhow it back in the bag. I know people that have had the TSA go through the bags and everything was all moved around......

Like I and others have said..... far better chance that it was a bag monkey. TSA throws the knife back in the bag..... bag monkey goes through a few and takes the knifes.....

Or another thought...... bag is not ziped up all the way and the knife that is just thrown in falls out between them and the airplane..... next guy sees that it is not zipped and zipes it up.

Now if you really wanted to you could file a complaint and ask for the video tapes of the TSA screener and the bag monkeys (cameras all over the place) and if they find someone taking stuff at about the same time that your bags were going through then guess what.......

TSA would not be dumb enough to put a notice tag in a bag then steal something out of it...... could be that there was a notice in both and when the bag guy was diging in them that tag fell out........ OR..... a bag guy had the time to really dig in them and had a few notice tags that he found and put it in trying to put the blame on TSA.......

Also remember that bags are transferd from plane to plane if you don't have a direct flight...... so that means bag guys touched your bag at FWA then at ORD then at JAC..... TSA only touched it once.... If you had any kind of a lay over in ORD then your bags sat around for a while...... out of an airplane.

Ever notice guys in the pit (bagage compartment) that are just sitting in their waiting for the tug to come and one of them is out of site? No Cameras in there...... the ones that are theives have gone into enough bags to know all the hiding spots.

95% chance that they were taken at ORD.

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Dave what do you not understand about the knives were in hidden pockets that only could be seen by X-ray?

Do baggage handlers have access to X-ray?

I don't understand why you keep pointing fingers at everyone but the low wage earning, High School educated TSA employees.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Dave what do you not understand about the knives were in hidden pockets that only could be seen by X-ray?

Do baggage handlers have access to X-ray?

I don't understand why you keep pointing fingers at everyone but the low wage earning, High School educated TSA employees.

Apparently you did not read all of my post......

So let me be a little more clear so that you unterstand......

TSA x-rays the bags (they check all of them PERIOD)... they see the knives and see something else that does not look right so they open the bags up..... the find the knives but don't put them back were they found them because they don't have the time and just throw it in.

When the bags are waiting to go on the plane or the next one the bag guys (rampers) end up going through them and take them.

Or the knives are never removed but the rampers find them..

Like I said, the rampers that steal I am sure know all the hiding places. Do people that break into cars not know all the places people hide stuff?

P.S. Bagage people make LESS then TSA..... so that argument is pointless.

TSA starts around 11 and goes up to 16 or so....... Bagage starts around 10 and does not go up much..... have heard or some making 8.

I had a bag ripped up and the lock was gone.
    Nothing missing from the bag though.
    The airline replaced the bag in Indy.

Yep, know who to talk to and you would be suprised what the airlines will replace.... or at least pay you for.

Top Bottom