• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If we are going to put up with being searched to board a public aircraft then we had better check our gear - thoroughly. Always assume that there may be something verboten in your bags if you use them for any purpose besides air travel.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    The TSA Blog: TSA Week in Review: Inert Suicide Vest, Grenades, Guns and More?
    IND+03-05-2013+IND+Images_Page_19.jpg

Anyone wanna fess up?
    I should be a hand model.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    The more you carry the more it becomes 2nd nature. I can understand not thinking about it. On that note what do you do if you are going to the airport by yourself. Your in a hurry at the parking area and your forget to leave it in the car. If the airport screener finds it can you run back out to your car and stash it? Or do the just take it once your in the metal detector or the feelup.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    The more you carry the more it becomes 2nd nature. I can understand not thinking about it. On that note what do you do if you are going to the airport by yourself. Your in a hurry at the parking area and your forget to leave it in the car. If the airport screener finds it can you run back out to your car and stash it? Or do the just take it once your in the metal detector or the feelup.

If they find it for you, you probably will miss your flight so you'll have plenty of time to figure the rest out.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I was traveling just after the 'lockdown' and I had a bag of tools.
    Hammer, screwdrivers, punches, binoculars, dial calipers, and other typical job site small hand tool stuff.
    I was running very late and when I checked in, they wouldn't let me check any baggage because the plane was boarding.
    I got my boarding pass and the lady at the counter said I had to carry on whatever baggage I had.
    Of course, when I got to the x-ray machine, the guy's eyes bugged out and he said
    "You can't take this on the plane!"
    I said "I know but the woman at the counter told me to carry it on."
    He said "I can't allow it"
    me: What do you want me to do?
    him: You can't take it on the plane.
    me: I'll tell you what, you have have them, I don't want to miss this plane.
    I ran for the gate, not quite OJ style but close, and when I got there the ticket taker lady was holding the door open waiting on me.
    she said "Glad you could make it.
    I told her that the security guy took a whole bag of tools.
    She said, check at the American Airlines counter when you return, I will get it and put it there for you.
    I went to the job and did the best I could without my tools.
    When I returned 2 days later, I went to the counter and sure enough they were holding them for me at the counter.
    That was before the Homeland security days, so I doubt that kind of thing would ever happen again.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    what the heck was the story with the inert suicide vest anyway?

It was some dude traveling to Florida, not sure why but I believe it was to train folks in tactics...he had a bunch of paintball guns, remote firing devices, couple dozen electric squibs/igniters, the vest and a bunch of HAZMAT stuff (KClO4, i.e. potassium perchlorate) to make homemade flash powder...I admired his setup. The red/white vest wires were fake but the orange wires were electric igniters that went to three black firing points (2 front/1 back). The dude would make flash powder charges and blow himself up to simulate a suicide bomber.

Everything was legit except for the HAZMAT...I believe the FAA went after him (fine) for trying to bring a few pounds of the stuff on a plane. He played it up like it was okay because he was in the national guard and it was for training but the DoD doesn't ship stuff like this on a commercial airliner. He's lucky the ATF wasn't interested...they don't take kindly to folks doing this stuff without a FEL.

Top Bottom