• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    hey everyone i just got my ltch about 4 days ago. i know everyones thoughts on the hi point but thats what i bought for my first handgun. i really like it but it is a little to large to carry in a shoulder holster. so after looking around a little i have found two i would like for carry purposes. i can get the sccy cpx-1 for 289.99. seems like this company had many issues at first but have cleaned up since early models. the walther pk380 i can get for around 340. i like the fitment of both guns but im worried about the cpx-1. i have seen many complain that when firing multiple rounds a person with larger hands has problems bumping the gun to safety. just wanted to hear some reason on either gun. please no bashing just looking for a good carry gun that i can still shoot some rounds through every once in awhile. thanks

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Are you dead set on .380? 9mm is cheaper to shoot.

IMHO, the .380 is a nasty round that has a snappy kick. The 9 is more like a light push. If you could bump up your price range another $100 from the walther I think you will be much happier with the the purchase.

Oh, and please don't put you life in the hands of a sccy. Please. If you must use it, you MUST trust it. Sure people have some that work and some that don't. As a carry gun that chance shouldn't be taken.

Good luck and congrats on your LTCH!

BTW, if you're in the NWI area we could get together and you could try out MANY different guns.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I like that the Sccy is a 9mm. compared to the .380 of the pk380, but I don't know that I would trust the Sccy 100%. I would prefer at least a 9mm. for an EDC, but I would hate for you to spend that much money on a Sccy and it be unreliable. For just a little more you have many other options. What is your budget? I too really like the way the Sccy feels in the hand, but my personal experience is that it is not completely reliable. Mine had to have work done by my gunsmith before it ran reliably. My friend has had his to and from the factory 3 times and then the frame cracked while shooting.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a CPX-1. Here is the link to my earlier "thorough" review from a few weeks ago ...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handgu...y_cpx-9_a.html

I'd like to say I totally love it, but I don't - but I don't hate it either. It seems to be reliable, so far. And as to the other folks NOT recommending this as a first carry ... well this IS my first carry gun - because I couldn't afford anything better at the time and couldn't afford to wait either. I actually thought it might take years to upgrade, but I am actually getting in the process of evaluating / trying others that are better for my EDC. Anyway I think I am "getting used to it". It seems to be getting better, but I think a lot of my problems are "ME" not the SCCY.

The only thing I've seen in 9mm even close in $$ is Kel-Tec P11 and I like those even LESS.

I have no experience w/ the PK380, but I did not want a 380 due to limitations and expense finding ammo. Choices of ammo types are much more limited, supplies are more scarce, and it all costs more.

I am actually looking at several (ok alot) of other compact to sub-compact pistols in 9mm ... XD, SR-9C, Taurus PT111 and 24/7 Pro C, M&P Sub-Compact, G-26. ... these are the main choices. you may want to check these if your budget will allow.

Congrats on your LTCH, and :welcome: to :ingo:.

Good luck finding a good reliable EDC and let us know what you pick (or if you have more Q????'s ... I know I do ...)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm guessing you are looking at these particular pieces due to price points? If you look a little harder and afford yourself just a few more bucks, you can get something an entire level above.

For example, a certain INGO supporter sells the Ruger sr9c for $379.99. Not a whole lot more than the Walther you are considering, and I believe its a better platform for carry and self-defense.

Firearms for Sale!

Just an idea.

coaltrain444

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    im not dead set on any particular gun. i really do not like the kel-tec guns at all. im around the crawfordsville indiana area. ive read alot of bad reviews on the cpx-1 but i read alot of bad ones before i bought my hi point. i love this gun but im new with guns so maybe i dont know what im looking at. i know its accurate and hasnt had any failures. my budget for a carry isnt really a budget but if i save on this gun it gives me more for the next. i also understand a carry gun should be reliable. prices are very close but im undecided im might have to go shoot both first

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    im not dead set on any particular gun. i really do not like the kel-tec guns at all. im around the crawfordsville indiana area. ive read alot of bad reviews on the cpx-1 but i read alot of bad ones before i bought my hi point. i love this gun but im new with guns so maybe i dont know what im looking at. i know its accurate and hasnt had any failures. my budget for a carry isnt really a budget but if i save on this gun it gives me more for the next. i also understand a carry gun should be reliable. prices are very close but im undecided im might have to go shoot both first

I would trust a Hi-Point more than a Sccy honestly. I have fired many Hi-Points and own two. Never a single issue out of any I have ever fired. Well over 2000 rounds between a few different Hi-Points and no malfunctions. The Sccy however, fired two and both needed repair before functioning reliably and one of them still doesn't work after 3 attempts to fix. Just my experience.
    Don't want you to spend your hard earned money on a handgun with questionable reliabilty just to have to invest more down the road to get a better one and then take a loss on this one.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am in no way trying to bash anyone that owns one of these or who likes them. Heck, I own one! If you want to take a chance on one that is cool, but if you are looking for proven reliability with better peace of mind then there are much better choices. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom