• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Meh.

He suggested more resources should be devoted to addressing mental health -- hoping to prevent shootings like the one in Virginia, which he called "really, very sad."

More government. I want a politician who doesn't think that the solution to every problem is more government. I would like one who says "Bad people do bad things. More government will not change this. Let's take steps to protect ourselves and each other as individuals."

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Trump did not offer specific solutions to addressing the mental health problem, but said there are '"so many things that can be done"

Uh........yeah. He's getting better at this politician thing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Meh.

More government. I want a politician who doesn't think that the solution to every problem is more government. I would like one who says "Bad people do bad things. More government will not change this. Let's take steps to protect ourselves and each other as individuals."

Any step in the right direction (and this is) I am open to. We can not do this. It has to be done by Gov. like it or not.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "This isn't a gun problem, this is a mental problem," Trump told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "New Day." "It's not a question of the laws, it's really the people."

And he insisted it should not be more difficult for "sane people" to get guns, pointing to Chicago's tough gun laws failing to prevent the scourge of gun violence in that city.

Sounds like he has been reading INGO.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    So this is a short list of what trumps been saying

1) Build a wall, the greatest wall in the world. --every american citizen should love this, and he'll make them pay for it through economic taxes imposed on mexico until they pay it off, which is easy to do since they need our manufacturing that has moved down there over the last couple decades
    2) repeal obamacare, get heavy with HSA's. Every working american should love this, tax exempt health care spending of your choice! awesome
    3) Get tough with China--Trump is an international business man. The president of the u.s. must help manage an economy(essentially a huge business). trump can do this better than any president in our life simply because of his experience.
    4) Wipe out ISIS---i bet trump would hand it over to the military and let the do their thing. He doesnt care about being politically correct or the media, this could lead to destruction of ISIS in no time
    5) Increase the size and strength of our military. Any right minded person should want the biggest and best military on the planet by far.
    Now i dont know about you, but if he does half of that, or only 1/6 of the few things i've listed, it will be a great accomplishment for this country, better than the last 6+ years that is for sure.

My favorite part about trump? He doesnt care about PC. He says what he thinks.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    So this is a short list of what trumps been saying

1) Build a wall, the greatest wall in the world. --every american citizen should love this, and he'll make them pay for it through economic taxes imposed on mexico until they pay it off, which is easy to do since they need our manufacturing that has moved down there over the last couple decades
    2) repeal obamacare, get heavy with HSA's. Every working american should love this, tax exempt health care spending of your choice! awesome
    3) Get tough with China--Trump is an international business man. The president of the u.s. must help manage an economy(essentially a huge business). trump can do this better than any president in our life simply because of his experience.
    4) Wipe out ISIS---i bet trump would hand it over to the military and let the do their thing. He doesnt care about being politically correct or the media, this could lead to destruction of ISIS in no time
    5) Increase the size and strength of our military. Any right minded person should want the biggest and best military on the planet by far.
    Now i dont know about you, but if he does half of that, or only 1/6 of the few things i've listed, it will be a great accomplishment for this country, better than the last 6+ years that is for sure.

My favorite part about trump? He doesnt care about PC. He says what he thinks.

x2

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Meh.

It is a necessary evil. I agree with the idea, but exactly how it would play out is a worthy discussion. I'm not sure how the solution of more freedom would help keep guns away from mental cases, but if you have an idea how it could work I would be interested in hearing it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There is no step in the right direction that includes the government.

OK.........Just curious how this can be rectified.
    Mental issue dealt with accordingly.
    Folks with paper trails proving psychosis can not own (legally) a gun.

Who will step up and do this. You, me, Rhino heaven forbid.

I realize Trump is a suck face wanna be politician but it does raise a good question.

Stop blaming the tool and go after the tool using it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As per: Trump: Mental health, not gun problem - CNNPolitics.com

Regardless what you think about Trump it's a refreshing change of pace to see common sense things being discussed, or rather reported, to a large audience.

At least there's that.

Any step in the right direction (and this is) I am open to. We can not do this. It has to be done by Gov. like it or not.
    I'm not a zero government kind of person like many of the libertarians are. But on this I have to agree with steveh. I ask, what can government do to fix this? Trump's right when he says it's a people problem. I'm at a loss for what people in government can do to solve the problem of crazy people who want to kill people. Are we going to have everyone psychologically profiled? How else do we parse the crazies?

Maybe we could offer more mental health programs. Do you think this guy thought he needed them? I think he was pretty convinced he's right and everyone else is wrong.

I think we have two choices. 1) improve the quality of our nation's individuals or 2) restrict enough freedom until the frequency of violence is tolerable.

I'd much rather we take on character. Not at the behest of government, because all government will do is impose politically expedient measures that at best treats the symptoms. For example, I guarantee that if we locked everyone up in individual padded cells forever, there would be zero shootings ever. If we choose a government solution, since we're not willing to lose that much freedom, we'll have to find a balance of lost freedom in exchange for reduced violence.

Values and character have been shunned by the popular culture for so long that they are considered taboo. I think we're seeing the results of that now. To me this guy sounds like he had disabling inability to cope with criticism that grew over time. People who worked with him several years ago said they never saw him act like this last TV station described. So it grew worse. Why couldn't he cope? What was missing? Did his parents raise a narcissist? I think many parents don't know how to teach coping. I encounter more narcissists now than I ever have back in the day. I think the quality of our character as a nation has dwindled. We don't care about life or liberty, just the pursuit of happiness at someone else's expense.

I think if we're not willing or able to address the character problem, and we're not willing to impose harsh restrictions on freedom, then we need more freedom to defend ourselves, not less.

Sorry for the screed. All that to say this. The only thing more government can give us is less freedom to defend ourselves. We'd need to defend ourselves less if we had higher moral character.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    OK.........Just curious how this can be rectified.
    Mental issue dealt with accordingly.
    Folks with paper trails proving psychosis can not own (legally) a gun.

Who will step up and do this. You, me, Rhino heaven forbid.

I realize Trump is a suck face wanna be politician but it does raise a good question.

Stop blaming the tool and go after the tool using it.

Did this guy have a paper trail proving his psychosis? If we use this case to say the proposed restrictions on guns wouldn't have prevented this, we have to admit that the psychosis paper trail wouldn't have prevented it either. People fall through the cracks. Finding all of them, or even most of them would necessarily impose a lot of things on everyone else.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    It is a necessary evil. I agree with the idea, but exactly how it would play out is a worthy discussion. I'm not sure how the solution of more freedom would help keep guns away from mental cases, but if you have an idea how it could work I would be interested in hearing it.

I don't think it's so much a case as more freedom keeping guns away from the crazies as it is more government not keeping them away from the crazies. Much like with drugs and other physical items the government likes to restrict the laws don't keep them out of the hands of the people who really want to get them. But those laws do get in the way of honest ordinary people just trying to go about their business without having to ask Uncle Sam for permission. I can't stock up on pseudoephedrine when it's on sale and I have to show my drivers license just to buy a box, but those restrictions sure aren't stopping the meth junkies from getting their fix.

And before anyone goes all absurd in the extreme with things like "why don't we get rid of laws against murder since they don't stop people killing each other" let's all just try not to get stupid. Many of us are simply tired of hearing that more government is the solution to every problem because that assertion is easily demonstrated as false. Some problems can't be solved by laws. Evil cannot be legislated away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did this guy have a paper trail proving his psychosis? If we use this case to say the proposed restrictions on guns wouldn't have prevented this, we have to admit that the psychosis paper trail wouldn't have prevented it either. People fall through the cracks. Finding all of them, or even most of them would necessarily impose a lot of things on everyone else.

Not so much him but 3 of the last 5 have.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not so much him but 3 of the last 5 have.

So how do you stop it? How many people have their rights denied that wouldn't actually harm others? Who decides what is the criteria? How do you make it so that the criteria isn't politically motivated?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom