• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not sure what you mean, other than supporting ones I think are the best choice.
    Are you collecting signatures for candidates you support? Are you giving cash to candidates you support? Are you knocking on doors for candidates you support? Just what are the folks doing that are complaining about the choices, blaming the party, and suggesting the party controls who the primary candidates are.

I am involved in helping several candidates for the record.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nikki Haley is on the same level as kamala harris.

I'd rather we not race to see just how incompetent and stupid of people we can get running the country.
    Didn't Trump nominate her for ambassador? What did he say when she resigned? She's done a terrific job. We hate to lose her, and hopefully she'll come back. She's been a very successful governor.

For someone on the same level as Harris that's pretty high praise.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What are you personally doing to elect better candidates?

It's a reasonable question, but these days it's also tradable virtue signal as well. So what can one do personally? Not everyone is wired to do the most effective things. But hopefully we don't just sit on our hands while the world burns either.

I think the problem not just that we don't have better candidates to choose from. We have a **** system, where circumstances often conspire to give us a candidate **** list. Political parties help ensure that (though not necessarily intentionally). Primaries damn sure don't improve the list.

We have a **** list now. On the D side, up and down the ticket, they're all either part of ClownWorld™ or sympathetic to it. On the R side of it, they're all some varying degree of each: deeply flawed, self-unaware, incompetent, tradcon, and so on. Ain't nobody gonna fix that.

To me "support", at least at the national level, only means to be willing to vote for the least horrible choice (because they're all horrible) if they don't **** you off too much.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Are you collecting signatures for candidates you support? Are you giving cash to candidates you support? Are you knocking on doors for candidates you support? Just what are the folks doing that are complaining about the choices, blaming the party, and suggesting the party controls who the primary candidates are.

Which of those did you do for Trump? Why should I do that if I'm not satisfied with him as a candidate, but am stuck with the Hobson's choice of him or ClownWorld™?

There's little one can do about the choices for POTUS.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Didn't Trump nominate her for ambassador? What did he say when she resigned? She's done a terrific job. We hate to lose her, and hopefully she'll come back. She's been a very successful governor.

For someone on the same level as Harris that's pretty high praise.
    Nikky Haley and Kamala are not even close in comparison to each other. And that's the problem with low resolution thinking (related to binary thinking). But maybe that doesn't matter. Maybe one doesn't need to resolve individual differences in candidates at a certain point.

For the sake of argument, let's say there's a list of candidates you're willing to vote for, and a list of candidates you'd never vote for under any circumstances. Let's say there are 3 GOP candidates you'd vote for. And no one else. So all the candidates can fit into one of the 4 pigeon holes we've established. One each for the top 3 candidates, and then everyone else fits into the "nope" pigeon hole.

Does it matter then what are the individual differences between the "nope" candidates? They're all nope. I think it doesn't matter. At least until all the candidates that you would vote for get eliminated and you have to rethink your "nope" content.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County

Look, we are probably pretty damn close to believing the same thing. No I do not go door to door. Yes I have contributed money to candidates I support. The thing is, it is so expensive to run for office that I really do believe the best never make it. The people that have deep pocket donors make it. Doesn’t make a difference what you or I do, we don’t have the money to compete. At least I don’t. Again we probably agree, so I am going to end this here. Same team, different ideas. If we want to get the best this country has to offer, we need to somehow get big money out of the process. I don’t yet have a way to do that, but am open to people smarter than me that may have. Rock on.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It's a reasonable question, but these days it's also tradable virtue signal as well. So what can one do personally? Not everyone is wired to do the most effective things. But hopefully we don't just sit on our hands while the world burns either.

I think the problem not just that we don't have better candidates to choose from. We have a **** system, where circumstances often conspire to give us a candidate **** list. Political parties help ensure that (though not necessarily intentionally). Primaries damn sure don't improve the list.

We have a **** list now. On the D side, up and down the ticket, they're all either part of ClownWorld™ or sympathetic to it. On the R side of it, they're all some varying degree of each: deeply flawed, self-unaware, incompetent, tradcon, and so on. Ain't nobody gonna fix that.

To me "support", at least at the national level, only means to be willing to vote for the least horrible choice (because they're all horrible) if they don't **** you off too much.
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get." - George Bernard Shaw

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Which of those did you do for Trump? Why should I do that if I'm not satisfied with him as a candidate, but am stuck with the Hobson's choice of him or ClownWorld™?

There's little one can do about the choices for POTUS.
    It seems like you are complaining that THE PEOPLE insist on voting in ways you don't approve of

Seems a bit elitist

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It seems like you are complaining that THE PEOPLE insist on voting in ways you don't approve of

Seems a bit elitist
    Nonsense. The primaries are what they are. If you don’t get your candidate past the primaries what are you gonna do? If DeSantis happens to be viable (extraordinarily unlikely) by May I’ll vote for him. Otherwise I’m stuck with Trump. I don’t think I’m thinking of it any differently than you would if Trump weren’t viable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Cameron lost because Louisville has armies of dedicated pink hairs willing to take one or more for the cause. Whatever it takes.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    "Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get." - George Bernard Shaw
    That thinking is short term. What we always accuse American business of doing.

Sometimes a purging fire is needed.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That would be tougher to spot. His endorsement record would be inflated by all the gimmes he endorsed. Easier to spot his losers
    Well yeah but easy is for lazy. If I am to draw a conclusion on the value of his endorsement, I need to know if it swings the needle in a swing state.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How so? What policies has she implemented that Harris would have? Why would she not appoint conservatives to the court and admin?

She's a neolib, wants to go to war with most of the world, and bark off braindead insults rather than respond to criticisms.

Just kamala harris with an (R) next to her name. But because """"conservatives"""" are hopelessly obsessed with israel, they will eat up anyone who makes even a vaguely pro-israel statement, regardless of the rest of the person's qualities.

Which is why after israel was attacked, she started rising in the polls, even though she never managed to articulate a single policy standpoint or plan.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom