• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's really not what happened. In the middle ages ordinary people did not have access to the Bible. It wasn't until after the printing press, when the Bible was translated into languages ordinary people spoke, that they had access. After the Reformation the Roman Catholic Church no longer had a monopoly on interpreting the Bible in the West. And that's just counting the West.
    A western and also probably a protestant bias is showing. Maybe that is what mean though, since you said middle ages which really only applies to western history. If you are stating access=printed copies you are correct. But its not correct to apply that reasoning to Church history.

Access to printed copies was not widespread due to cost. But going to Church, you heard the scriptures read. I would argue that is access.

The Latin Vulgate was a translation to put the Bible in the language of the people because the use of Greek was declining in the western Empire and the use of Latin was on the rise. That was late 300s.

Cyril and Methodios, missionaries sent to the Slavs developed the Slavic alphabet and translated the bible and liturgical texts in to the language of the people. This occurred in the middle 800s. They encountered friction from the West who were insisting on using Latin. In late 800s, Methodios, accused of heresy because he did not use Latin but Slavic, the local tongue. Was summoned to Rome and successfully defended his use of the local tongue in worship. This friction between the East and West does show already hints of the final separation in 1054.

It has always been the position of the Orthodox Church to translate the Bible and service texts into the vernacular.

Anyways, its a Trump thread and don't want to sidetrack any further.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A western and also probably a protestant bias is showing. If you are stating access=printed copies you are correct.
    I didn't mean just that. And I am correct. :):

Access to printed copies was not widespread due to cost. But going to Church, you heard the scriptures read. I would argue that is access.
    Access to printed copies wasn't widespread until after the invention of the printing press. And copies in one's own language, which I think was the biggest barrier, did not happen for another ~ hundred years.

And saying that access means hearing it from the church is not access, at least not in terms of my point, is access to the Church's interpretation. And I think the point you made seems to show a Catholic bias. If that's your religion, you're right. Eastern Orthodox is right. Lutherans are right. Baptists are right. Pentecostals are right. Atheists think they're right. The only ones that are unsure are agnostics. But on down the line, everyone thinks they're right.

Which was also your point. We both arrived at the same point, that people hear or read the same thing, and they interpret the meaning according to how it comports to their worldview.

The Latin Vulgate was a translation to put the Bible in the language of the people because the use of Greek was declining in the western Empire and the use of Latin was on the rise. That was late 300s.

Cyril and Methodios, missionaries sent to the Slavs developed the Slavic alphabet and translated the bible and liturgical texts in to the language of the people. This occurred in the middle 800s. They encountered friction from the West who were insisting on using Latin. In late 800s, Methodios, accused of heresy because he did not use Latin but Slavic, the local tongue. Was summoned to Rome and successfully defended his use of the local tongue in worship. This friction between the East and West does show already hints of the final separation in 1054.

It has always been the position of the Orthodox Church to translate the Bible and service texts into the vernacular.

Anyways, its a Trump thread and don't want to sidetrack any further.
    I'm talking Western middle ages where the Church (there was only one, notwithstanding Henry VIII's spat with the Church) was the only interpreter of the Bible. That's primarily the history that affects America most. But, worldwide there was not an explosion of Christian sects/denominations until the Bible was widely read. So again, we both get to the same place but through different perspectives.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think Bug in his typical style has left everyone guessing about what he's really getting at. Was it that Trump once had competent lawyers to choose from, but they were forced to take a figurative poison pill to preserve their reputations?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think Bug in his typical style has left everyone guessing about what he's really getting at. Was it that Trump once picked competent lawyers, but they were forced to take a figurative poison pill to preserve their reputations?
    I may be wrong. It's my interpretation that Rommel was a counterpoint to disprove JK's allegory. I've been wrong before tho.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Rommel was a brilliant tactician who opposed Hitler. That makes Rommel a bad guy? Nazism aside, Hitler's insane attempt to micromanage was, in a large part, costing Germany dearly, and Rommel knew it had to end.
    Sound advice about the use of shovels. ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It was an electoral landslide. Which doesn't reflect the will of the people, per se. It reflects the will of the states, which is what the founders had in mind. The US is a federation of the people organized by states where the states decide who will be the chief executive.
    Correct. But my post still shows just how few votes it takes to create an electoral landslide…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No prob. You can read a boot like him a mile away.

Some folks just can’t accept a defeat.

“On Any Given Sunday “

It doesn’t matter what I say in type, what matters is what I do in the real world.

Besides, I’ve got skin thicker than a water buffalo.

It’s the internet…….:lmfao:
    Yep, can’t stay away. His skin is so thick he cannot answer a simple question like what does the clause mean. Who does the constitution say selects the manner in which electors are chosen?

I answered every question you put to me, posted links to verify what I said.

What you got to back up your big talk?

Reactions: Mij

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Rommel was a brilliant tactician who opposed Hitler. That makes Rommel a bad guy? Nazism aside, Hitler's insane attempt to micromanage was, in a large part, costing Germany dearly, and Rommel knew it had to end.
    The same leftists cannot fathom why some confederate generals were recognized by the Union post war…

Top Bottom