• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Psh... Mars.... We need to focus on building a LARGE space station first. Fission powered. Then we need to focus on space TRAVEL before we worry about colonizing other planets. There's just NO WAY we're going to make Mars a habitable planet. Best we can hope for is mining operations on local planets to mine resources for ship building and propulsion. Once we learn how to survive long term in space, then maybe we'll have a chance. Until then, we're just spinning our wheels.

Reputable scientists of the time said there was no way man was ever going to fly - and proved it scientifically - about three days before Orville and Wilbur launched their Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, NC. The theory for terraforming Mars is already there, everything else is just engineering and could be done NOW, if we were willing to devote the resources to it that we devote to fighting wars. I was reading in Popular Science this weekend that a former NASA scientist/astronaut, Franklin Chang Diaz (how's that for multiculturalism?) is developing a nuclear-powered plasma thruster engine that could get a ship to Mars in 39 days instead of 6 to 8 months. That alone could make colonization of Mars doable. If Mars is 39 days away, the asteroid belt is probably only about 60 days away.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I was reading in Popular Science this weekend that a former NASA scientist/astronaut, Franklin Chang Diaz (how's that for multiculturalism?) is developing a nuclear-powered plasma thruster engine that could get a ship to Mars in 39 days instead of 6 to 8 months. That alone could make colonization of Mars doable. If Mars is 39 days away, the asteroid belt is probably only about 60 days away.

Picked up that issue to read the article. Interesting, and if all proceeds as the scientist hopes, we could see Mars colony within 30-40 years.

The article was interesting in that he was setting the asteroid belt as the first destination. Would make sense because there's minerals in them there asteroids. Would make the Gold Rush small by comparison.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    sounds like these guys have the warp drive.

from the FOXnews article: 'or a new kind of propulsion'

what the hell is going on here?

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, if you need any reading material for what to expect, I just so happen to have a COMPLETE Burroughs Barsoom collection for sale! Some of them first edition, none of them any younger reprints than 60 years :D

Sorta like a travel guide, dontcha know.

(stepfather died in April, I got much of his SF collection, selling off the rarer stuff, got complete Tarzan too.)

God, I love John Carter of Mars! And Tars Tarkas, Jeddak of Thark, and the incomparable Dejah Thoris.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    please pack up politicians & lawyers with a one way ticket. seriuosly though, you can't go without packing the BFG 9000

Top Bottom