• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Enough of something to have a dreamy peaceful death if it came to it.

Otherwise, several acceptable mating partners, enough material to build a homestead/habitat, and a robot army of construction bots... first couple of years of food, fertilizers, chickens, goats, beneficial bugs. Fabrication equipment. Nuclear power plant. Set me down near the ice cap, and we'll start building. Our own form of government, of course.

And what I would start doing is sending unmanned containers with supplies.

I'd volunteer for that. Or to the asteroid belt. That's where the real money will be at.

Last edited:

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I got it, first we are going to need to build an ark, then we will gather up 2 of every kind of animal one of each sex and then we will sail erh i mean fly it to mars. along with these animals we will take inmates from the county jail and drop them all off. anyways its a good start

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    I think we need to get serious about terraforming if we are going to seriously think about putting human on mars.

Humans cant live in suits and enclosures forever - for a few generation, sure... but long term you will need more supplies than can be trucked in. The planet would need to have a breathable atmosphere, because eventually people would need to get out and about in order to search for resources.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'll be packing plenty of radium bullets and a good sword for all of the Barsoomian style adventure that is sure to take place.

Well, if you need any reading material for what to expect, I just so happen to have a COMPLETE Burroughs Barsoom collection for sale! Some of them first edition, none of them any younger reprints than 60 years :D

Sorta like a travel guide, dontcha know.

(stepfather died in April, I got much of his SF collection, selling off the rarer stuff, got complete Tarzan too.)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm pretty sure my kit would include things that haven't even been invented yet (but will be for this mission). ;)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's probably going to have to wait for a fusion-power generator; colonists are going to need a reliable source of energy to crack the O2 out of the ice. A billion-dollar max price tag will basically mean slow suicide for the colonists. They'll need to be able to grow food, make oxygen, make replacements for equipment, shelter and clothing. They'll need basic medicines and the means to make more. They'll need entertainment and information systems, communications gear, ground and/or air transport. Also, four personnel are not enough for a "colony"; at most they will be a science expedition. The concept is a step in the right direction, though. We need to get off the planet and get access to the resources of the solar system. It might help the environment (for anyone who really cares) to get most manufacturing space-side as well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nature has provided the most efficient means of producing fuel and oxygen through natural photosynthesis.

Just give me a bunch of seeds. We'll have that planet rocking in no time, assuming the martian soil has the proper amounts of nitrogen and other minerals.

I'm assuming the ship will be converted into shelter once we land.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Psh... Mars.... We need to focus on building a LARGE space station first. Fission powered. Then we need to focus on space TRAVEL before we worry about colonizing other planets. There's just NO WAY we're going to make Mars a habitable planet. Best we can hope for is mining operations on local planets to mine resources for ship building and propulsion. Once we learn how to survive long term in space, then maybe we'll have a chance. Until then, we're just spinning our wheels.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom