• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks folks. The Garmin has been my favorite of the two from all I've read. When plunking down nearly 400 bones for something, I really don't want to take the decision lightly.
    Again, thank you for your input.

Even though I am late to the party, I will concur. My older garmin (truck specific) has kept me and my 379 Pete/48 ft. covered wagon out of trouble quite nicely.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Even though I am late to the party, I will concur. My older garmin (truck specific) has kept me and my 379 Pete/48 ft. covered wagon out of trouble quite nicely.

:yesway: I've requested delivery routes in MI and WI, but I know I will probably get some Chicago deliveries as well. Though I've driven in the city extensively, it's a real pain to try to find all the low clearances. I'm hoping a good GPS will help make that a bit easier.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    :yesway: I've requested delivery routes in MI and WI, but I know I will probably get some Chicago deliveries as well. Though I've driven in the city extensively, it's a real pain to try to find all the low clearances. I'm hoping a good GPS will help make that a bit easier.

The truck specific Garmins are pretty good at this, but I've always backed up a GPS with a good map. Then again, I overplan for trip routing.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    If you have an iPhone, try the Waze app. The company was recently purchased by Google, which I think says a lot.

The app will route you based on real time traffic data, and users can report road hazards, speed traps, etc. IMO, it should be the app of the year.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    There's no way I'll ever quit using my atlas 100%, that's for sure. I love maps and I love having a picture of where I'm going before I start. The quick reference of the GPS will be nice, though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How often do you buy a new one? They become outdated pretty quickly.

It will give you a notice you need to update. You simply hook it to your internet-connected computer via USB cable, drop a few bucks, and you are good as new.

VostocK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Garmin also makes the g1000 glass cockpit that you see in a lot of aircraft these days. I'd trust it over Rand Mcnally who is known for making books.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    What makes you think Garmin is better at truck routing?

I'll take Rand McNally who knows actual legal truck routes and produces those in book form over a glass cockpit which knows nothing about size and weight restrictions .

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    What makes you think Garmin is better at truck routing?

I'll take Rand McNally who knows actual legal truck routes and produces those in book form over a glass cockpit which knows nothing about size and weight restrictions .

Both have have the ability to input your rig's height, length, weight, and HAZMAT classification. The Garman has the additional traffic monitor (which as I have read, really only works in major population cenaA ters because it relys on a FM signal to transmit data)
    I've read lots of reviews and people have reported quite a few of the Rand McNally units losing power, not charging, etc very early in thier supposed life span. Both have people reporting routing errors, though a few more to the Rand.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Both have have the ability to input your rig's height, length, weight, and HAZMAT classification. The Garman has the additional traffic monitor (which as I have read, really only works in major population centers because it relys on a FM signal to transmit data)
    I've read lots of reviews and people have reported quite a few of the Rand McNally units losing power, not charging, etc very early in thier supposed life span. Both have people reporting routing errors, though a few more to the Rand.

Good point. You are right that it generally works in highly populated areas and in some cases highly traveled roads (like I-24 from Nashville all the way to the Kentucky state line for example) and not in all rural areas, although the infrastructure seems to be catching up in most places where such information would be relevant.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Which GPS did go with... I'm looking to get one that has the ability to speak the address I want,, using the gps on my phone drains the battery to quick.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Which GPS did go with... I'm looking to get one that has the ability to speak the address I want,, using the gps on my phone drains the battery to quick.

Stay away from the Rand McNally. They have had lots of issues with the unit just freezing up.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Hard to beat Garmin with their Lifetime map and Lifetime Live Traffic updates. Not sure about more rural areas, but in Chicagoland area, the Nuvi does a good job of advising on traffic jams, etc. and providing alternate routes. At least the car model I have.

Since this popped back up, curious what the OP went with.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Loves has a special now the latest double throw down billy bad a$$ rand... $399 with an $80 mail in rebate. You would of thought for $400 a gps wouldn't freaze up.

Id like to have one, but I can't bring mt self to spent that much on a gps when my phone does the same thing. But like I said it kills my batt with the gps and Bluetooth going all day, the charger can barly keep up.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Really?
    I'd tell most all of them to speed up and drive the speeds they used to in the day when if you wanted to cover some miles in a hurry, you ran with the truckers.
    These days, if you run with the truckers, they drive so slow you wonder if you're ever gonna get there. :):
    Split speed limits and/or governed trucks.

Just don't drive US 129 between Maryville, TN and Robbinsville, NC in a semi.

Top Bottom