• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I like my F250, the only thing besides the typical Ford rust I have dealt with is tires, oil, and now a master cylinder that went bad after someone rear ended me.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I had a '90 Chevy 1500 W/T 4x4. Put 150K on it and sold it. Bought a '96 ZR2 and put 170K on it. It had the 4.3V6 and was trouble free. Bought an 02 Silverado 1500 Z71 with the 5.3 V8 and 42K on it in 04 and put 253K on it. Now I am driving an 04 F150 Heritage 4x4 XLT that had 21K miles on it when I bought it last year. Fresh off the farm, basically never driven. I never had any issues with either Chevy. I have owned 3 Ford and 4 Chevy trucks over the years and have had less issue and been able to get more trouble free miles out of the Chevy trucks. The Fords were still good trucks though. When the 04 Ford rolls over 250K, I'll replace it with a Chevy if I can find the right one. I never buy new (not since the '90 W/T), won't finance one and can usually find a low mileage well cared for truck if I'm willing to take 4-6 months looking.

Dodge, .....nah.

Toyota, Nissan, no experience.

Dirty Steve

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    We do also have an 07 F150 with close to 150k miles on still runs good. its got some get up and go compared to the 14 chevy or our old 05 F250 that finally got traded . I work for the railroad so our trucks take an abuse driving over tracks and on the sidings. I don't do much heavy hauling, the wife has her 08 PT which I think is a POS based on the issues it has had.
    My wife does 3 craft shows a year the Wanatah Scarecrow fest, Kouts Christmas fest, and New Buffalo show in Michigan. It would be nice to help her out it takes her usually 3 trips with her PT and 2 trips back when I bring my Impala. It would be nice to put her tables and hardware in the back and not worry about playing tetris with two cars. Her stuff doesn't weigh much. My dad gets consumer reports and I do browse through it when i visit. It looks like for what I want to do and what you all have been saying its getting closer to the F150 and Tacoma.

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    My dad was a ford man, so me being the son had to go chevy. Allways ribbing each other one way or the other. I feel the trucks now days are all fairly close in lasting/performance IF they are well maintaned. My 94 silverado has 221,000 plus and water pump only thing, my 05 running great with 125,000 but man that four door is sure sweet.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Toyota Tacoma is a great option. And they also hold their value. Even with 200,000 miles on them. Went through a p/u phase and bought a Tacoma TRD 4X4 double cab. Had the 4.0 V6. Strong truck had no problem pulling a 20 foot trailer with 4-wheelers on it or a boat. Great truck overall. Easily sat 4. If I ever get another truck it will be the Tacoma.

As for mileage I averaged 20.8 MPG on each tank.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    My only advice-don't get a regular cab. There is a reason they don't make very many of them any more. Nobody wants them and they are hard to resell. I learned this lesson the hard way.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My only advice-don't get a regular cab. There is a reason they don't make very many of them any more. Nobody wants them and they are hard to resell. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I would agree with this. Regular cab trucks are still around mainly as commercial vehicles.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I was looking at the access cab on the Tacoma. don't really plan on having no more than 3 in my truck. The 07 F150 we have at work leans back pretty good do the newer ones still do that?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I like my F250, the only thing besides the typical Ford rust I have dealt with is tires, oil, and now a master cylinder that went bad after someone rear ended me.

I think the rust issue is about the same for Chevy, Dodge, and Ford. Everyone I know that has a truck 96 or newer is seeing rocker panels, cab corners, bumpers, bedside, fenders, and some tailgate rust. A few of them even keep their trucks extremely clean year round.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    Been a Ford guy since I got my DL at 16 yrs old (34 now). First truck I bought was a 1976 F100 Ranger, an old farm truck. Then I purchased my 99 Ranger w/ a 4 cyl. Great truck, really good on the gas, and cheap to maintain, wish I had never sold that truck... Next was a 01 F150 4x4 that was bad a$$! Since then I've had a 02 Taurus for the Boss Lady, and still have a 04 Heritage F150, and an 04 Expedition. I've been looking heavily into the new F150's w/ the Eco-boost hear it's a baaad boy. Love my Fords!

Top Bottom