• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Looking at a strong possibility of buying a new vehicle next year. My 05 Impala will probably of rolled over 200k by then and looking to get a truck to be able to haul more items rather than relaying on family members who have trucks. I would like a 4wd, V6, regular cab, long or regular bed, not looking to break the bank, and from 2011 and up.
    We got a new company truck a 14 Chevy Silverado with 4wd. It handles pretty good especially where we drive along side the tracks where the siding is rocks and ruts. I also been looking at the Toyota Tacoma's, and my dad owned a 2wd F150 for a good 25yrs before it went to the junkyard in the sky but never gave him too many problems. He use to drive from Valpo to Gary everyday and then from Hobart to Crown Point.
    These are the 3 models I have been looking at. Leaning more towards the Toyota, but would like to hear pros and cons from all sides. I would not consider Dodge worked at a Chrysler dealership and Chrysler has its problems.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Out of all the American manufacturers I would recommend a GM product. The 4.3 v6 is a rock solid engine good for 250k+ miles if well maintained. However the 4.8 and 5.3 v8s get around the same mpg and can haul more, they will cost more upfront, but resale on a v8 is much better. I cannot speak for the "foreign" makers as I have no experience. My uncle has a newer ford expedition that had the tranny replaced at 30k miles. I really like the RAM trucks too, but I do not know anything about the v6 in those.

I usually tell people to go test drive all that you can, pick the one that fits you the best, has everything you need and nothing you don't and lastly make sure it has a really good warranty.

If I were you I'd buy an older pickup for chore use and keep driving that impala! But I'm biased as my parents both have '05 impala SS. I love that 3.8..

Good luck, Jon

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Out of all the American manufacturers I would recommend a GM product. The 4.3 v6 is a rock solid engine good for 250k+ miles if well maintained. However the 4.8 and 5.3 v8s get around the same mpg and can haul more, they will cost more upfront, but resale on a v8 is much better. I cannot speak for the "foreign" makers as I have no experience. My uncle has a newer ford expedition that had the tranny replaced at 30k miles. I really like the RAM trucks too, but I do not know anything about the v6 in those.

I usually tell people to go test drive all that you can, pick the one that fits you the best, has everything you need and nothing you don't and lastly make sure it has a really good warranty.

If I were you I'd buy an older pickup for chore use and keep driving that impala! But I'm biased as my parents both have '05 impala SS. I love that 3.8..

Good luck, Jon

Yeah my Impala has the 3.4 with the leaky lower intake. Luckily knock on wood no issues with that yet, the speedo went out, and the trans has the common 1-2, 2-3 clunk shift. I've put a lot of highway miles on it bought it with 36k in 09 and sitting at just under 173k.
    I'm looking for more of what owners think especially if they have one older than 14.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Had 2 chevy w/t (1994 and a 1999) with 4.3L V6. 2wd. Great trucks. NOw I own a 5.3L V8 (1999). 4x4. Again, great truck. All have / had over 100k and going strong.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    My dad was always a ford man. He purchased a Toyota tundra ten years ago, and he buys one for every model year since. If it were me, I'd buy a deuce and 1/2 and bob it. His Toyota tundras have been the best trucks ever and I can't argue that fact. If you get the chance watch the Toyota hilux top gear uk episode so you can see the abuse they can take.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Toyota is a good choice, the engine is a good 300K engine if taken care of properly. Same engine that is in my FJ Cruiser and the reason I bought it used.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Toyota is a good choice, the engine is a good 300K engine if taken care of properly. Same engine that is in my FJ Cruiser and the reason I bought it used.

Not at all uncommon for the GM 5.3L to get 300k miles as well. Heck I have a 99 GMC Sierra with the older Gen 1 vortec 5.7L an she has 275k miles on her and still truckin.

I own (2) 2003 Chevy Tahoes with the 5.3L and they are both at or very close to the 150k mark and still going strong. I would skip the v6 in the chevy truck and just go with the 5.3L. They both get very similar mileage as said before. Why not have the power there if you ever want it for towing, etc. The cost difference wont be that much on a used vehicle anyway. I would think that the v6 would be "harder" to find anyway. You know how many 5.3L's are out there now? There are so many out there you can pick up a 100k-135k used engine for $600 easily, sometimes lower. Thats how many are out there now!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Had 2 chevy w/t (1994 and a 1999) with 4.3L V6. 2wd. Great trucks. NOw I own a 5.3L V8 (1999). 4x4. Again, great truck. All have / had over 100k and going strong.
    Why compare a 20y/o truck to a modern truck? Hell, there's a world of difference between the Superduties going back only to '07.

If that's it's claim to fame, it isn't all that special. Just about any engine except a Chrysler can make the same claim. I don't think Toyota quality is as good as it once was, but if you aren't looking to do heavy hauling/towing with them (and you can stand the fugly aesthetics), I wouldn't say it would be a bad choice. I don't think Toyota trucks can really compete with the domestics in certain areas, but then the 150 sure has taken a nosedive in certain areas the last few years as well. If it's just going to be a vehicle that makes Menards purchases more convenient to get home or to save on the delivery charge for the next appliance or big screen television, just about any model out there will serve your purpose.

You might consider fronting some cash to peruse Consumer Reports on this. We have made a couple of vehicle purchases in the last few years and this was a valuable tool to have. Unless you wouldn't like to know that the electrical system for Brand X is rated the worst of them all because it's constantly going bad or that the drivetrain on Brand A doesn't have near the life the manufacturer says it does. Google searching your final candidates is also a good way to determine recurring issues with models and model years.

Incidentally, a "long" bed IS a regular/standard bed. Short is the odd one, and Ford should be reminded of that daily.

Full disclosure: I am driving or have driven the following vehicles regularly: '07 Ford Superduty, '99 Ford Expedition (which is the 150 truck), '98 Toyota 4Runner, '04 Chevy work truck w/ manual transmission, '96 Chevy Suburban, and '01 Chevy Suburban (the latter being enclosed versions of the K1500 truck). All of which have/had at least 115K miles on them, with the exception of the '04 because we just didn't have it that long.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    If you're looking at modern trucks, the GMs with 6 speed automatics and the smaller v8's outperform the V6 in mileage. Not so significantly that it offsets the intial purchase price imo, but at least you have more power available if needed.

I drive a 5 speed manual Dodge Dakota with v6 and average around 16mpg. On the highway the gearing is so short that 70mph is almost 3000rpm. Set cruise at 65 and get 15mpg. In my parent's suburban cruise at 70 i'm pushing 18mpg.

So don't necessarily throw out the option of the V8, gearing is just as important as displacement. A 4L V6 at 3000rpm cruising speed is going to suck down more fuel than a 6L v8 at 1700rpm cruising speed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was playing around on the Chevy website yesterday, putting together my dream truck...$59,000. My wife laughed.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I grew up a chevy man, but but as hard as I was on trucks it changed quickly. I have 3 Fords right now ranging from a 1995 F250 power stroke with somewhere north or 400k. The Odometer doesn't read anymore lol to a 2010 f250 5.4 gasser with 80k on it and a 2001 F250 4.6 with 230k on it.

Now Im not saying Chevy or dodge or anyone else is bad don't get me wrong, I prefer you get an american truck and right now the two trucks that tie for the most American made parts are the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra.

But here is my story, after a few Chevy's, mostly gasser small blocks I would have a lot of little parts break on them, the drivelines other than the motor seem much weaker than the Fords the suspension parts are much smaller, the body panels on the Ford are almost 2x as thick as the chevy. (this helps with small dents that may occur) anyways after broken trans, and many other parts having to be replaced I got a duramax... I have never had so many problems as I did with this truck, It seemed like I went through injectors all the time, broke the transfer case on it plowing and other things. I sold this truck to get out from underneath it, after a little convincing from friends I bought an old 1995 7.3 with intentions of upgrading shortly after I was able to make a little more money. The Ford has not had an issue since I bought it 5 years ago, since then I bought my wife a 2001 f150, not a lick of problems with that yet and we have had it two years, she drives it from Columbia City to Southern Indiana about once a month to visit her parents and I have full faith it will get her and my kids there safetly every time. After a while I decided I wanted to clean up the old 7.3 and put it in the garage so I bought a 2010 f250 5.4 and have already put 80k on it without a single problem.

I have found out why Ford is the number one selling truck for 36 years running.

Here is a good link if you are concered about buying American.
    Top 8 "Most American" Trucks for 2013 on Edmunds.com

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    We bought a new truck last year. 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab. It is our family vehicle and I am very happy with the truck. It is 4wd and has the 3.5 liter Eco-Boost V-6. I get about 22-23 mpg on the highway, 19-20 mpg on interstate and am averaging about 16 mpg for all driving. Most of my driving is short trips around town.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Only advice I could offer is go full-size if you can afford it. Gas mileage doesn't differ that much, especially if you don't drive a lot and the benefits are noticeable (for me they were anyway). YMMV. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab and love it.

Top Bottom