• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So I went shooting today…one of the guns I used was the S&W 22A.
    After about 5 or 6 mags through, there were a couple of misfires that I attributed to crappy ammo.
    Then there was one shot that was extremely much louder and smokier than the rest. After that, the slide did not go full battery. I took it apart, looked it over…didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.
    I put it back together and it was fine for about 4 more mags.
    After that, there was one misfire that I tried to clear and the slide was stuck closed. I ended up dropping the mag and taking the 22A apart to get the round out.
    It had a strike mark on it, but not as far in as usual. I chalked that up to maybe crappy ammo, again.
    I ended up having four times within about 20 shots that this whole thing would repeat…Misfire, stuck slide, disassemble to get the round out, etc.
    I took my PatchWorm and cleaned it on the spot. Oiled it. Put it all back together. Used different ammo…same deal.
    Here’s the kicker…
    When I put the slide back on before putting the guide rod, spring, and buffer in the housing, the slide would not slide on the rails. I’m talking with NOTHING in it…nothing obstructing anything… it was crazy. It just felt like somebody stuck super glue on the rails. After jostling it a bit, then it would slide back and forth like butter.
    I have no idea what’s causing it.
    Any suggestions?
    P.S.
    The ammo used that it did this with was Federal Champion, Winchester Wildcats, CCI Blazers and Remington Golden Bullet.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Call the factory about the recall. I have two of them and they were both on the recall list. One of them they replaced the barrel and slide and the second one they said if you held the trigger back it was full auto. They will e-mail you the shipping label and you can take it to any Fed-Ex pick up point. Turn around was about 9 days. A pretty painless procedure.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Recall info at the link

22A Recall - Smith & Wesson

Effected guns actually slam fired. They didn't have firing or ejection problems as Annie describes. I have heard of one with a similar problem and it had a cracked frame which was quickly replaced by Smith. The crack was in the vacinity of the rails. A close inspection may be in order. I've heard of some minor extractor issues as with other 22RFs but they don't fill the bill in this case.

Annie I would love to find out what you learn to be the problem. My 22A has gone through over 30,000 rounds with nothing more than expected issues.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I hope you figure it out Annie!
    When I had it all apart yesterday, I was looking all over it with a pen light.
    I didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but since I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I could have been lookin' right at it. :dunno:
    Mine is older than the manufacture dates of the ones in the recall link.
    BUT...it doesn't have that punch dot...
    I'm calling in the Marines.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I had a somewhat similar problem with mine jamming once or twice every mag. Usually the problem is just that I don't have it lubed enough. Mine is also older than the recall. I've never checked for the cracked or bent slide, but now that it has been mentioned I'll have to check it out

Top Bottom