• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I load .45 Colt for my New Vaquero and an 1873 Winchester clone. I use a lot of Herco powder. 9 grains under one of my hard cast 240 grain truncated cone bullets. The Herco fills a lot of space in the .45 Colt case. Runs around 850 fps out of the 5.5" Vaquero and 975 fps out of the lever gun. Very accurate out of both. Recoil is easily managed in the Ruger and very mild in the big Winchester.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Excellent advice to use a moderate burn rate powder with high bulk to best fill the large .45 Colt case for accuracy, low recoil, and ignition reliability.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Herco is a large grained powder manufactured by Alliant (the company formerly called Hercules).
    The name of the powder is obviously a self-reference from before they rebranded the company itself.
    I'm unsure how widely available it is off the shelf in brick and mortar locations.
    A look around online isn't promising.
    Graf's, MidwayUSA, Midsouth Shooter's Supply, Natchezz, and even Powder Valley don't have it in stock.
    Strange...

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I buy my Herco from a LGS that has been around for decades and is off the beaten path. I have a feeling that he is breaking it down out of large kegs.

Top Bottom