Trip to NY with a stop at Niagra Falls...Canada side quesiton.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm in a wedding (that I'm against, but that is another story) in June. Her family is from NY so guess where the wedding is? :rolleyes: I'll be sure to plan our trip with the gun laws in mind but my question is the side trip to the Falls. I've been there on business before and the Canada side is MUCH better and that is the side I want to take my GF to.

The question....How have you delt with a gun and going across the border to CA? I've found that you can apply for a permit (with LOTS or restrictions) but I'm not positive it would be approved for one and two, it's a huge PITA for a 4 hour stop.

Carrying Firearms and Weapons into Canada

Thanks

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I was just surfing the RCMP's site about this last week. Looks like all you ahve to do is have a form filled out (in triplicate), paperwork not signed until a canuck can witness you do it, and then that suffices as a "60 -day license"

It was like 25 bucks canadian or something like that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Restricted firearms
    Primarily handguns; however, pepper spray and mace are also included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The ATT will not be issued for hunting or self-protection purposes.
    You might be better off just finding a secure storage locker on the U.S. side.

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    NO handguns

It not a big deal to take a rifle or shotgun across if you have a valid reason, hunting or protection from bears while fishing. In the past I have just filled out the paper work at the border and paid my money. BUT I think handguns are a no no, I have heard of them taking the handgun, impounding the car and putting the driver in jail , it was a $10,000.00 fine in years past and you loose the handgun.

from the Canadian web page:
    Restricted
    firearms
    Primarily handguns; however, pepper spray and mace are also included in this category. A restricted firearm may be brought into Canada, but an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit must be obtained in advance from a Provincial or Territorial Chief Firearms Officer. The ATT will not be issued for hunting or self-protection purposes.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Geography was never my strong suit in HS. Legal issues, Other countries politics and carry laws were not my concern being from Illinois South suburbia originally. I had my foid card and lived within the rules there. Imagine my surprise when on my honeymoon I took the ferry from WA to Frday Harbor and Victoria BC. I look up see the no gun signs and thank God I left the pistol at home. I get there and there is NO CUSTOMS guy no Canadian guy trying to stripsearch us. Could have smuggled a WMD across in the stroller back in 93. I was so worried at first. Then was relieved and sad for canadians because even though Illinois was bad for guns. The canadians and their holdings are screwed. But Health care is free don't ya know. eh

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Having lived in New York until 2005, I can reassure you that they have NO sence of humor when it comes to unlicensed firearms (They do NOT honor ANY OTHER state permit) It makes no difference if you have it in a locked container in your trunk... if you're unlucky and get stopped, you'll be looking at an expensive visit.
    It's one reason my wife & I moved to Indiana. :patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Having lived in New York until 2005, I can reassure you that they have NO sence of humor when it comes to unlicensed firearms (They do NOT honor ANY OTHER state permit)

Having grown up in Detroit and crossed into Windsor on many occasions, I can assure you that they have NO sense of humor about ANYTHING. You DO NOT F@!$ with Customs.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    So basically a handgun is out and from what I am hearing I can't even bring a handgun into NY period much less Canada?

I did a lot of searching today but couldn't really find anything concrete about bringing a handgun into the state of NY. The handgun thing and Canada was a little wishy-washy, at least how I read it because it stated at one point that a handgun over 4.1" was good. It was a little contridictury to me.

At this point I'm not even talking about carrying, just having a handgun locked in the car in a lockable box and in my hotel room.

Is that is go or no?

If no, what about a rifle, i.e AR or shotgun?

Thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    So basically a handgun is out and from what I am hearing I can't even bring a handgun into NY period much less Canada?

I did a lot of searching today but couldn't really find anything concrete about bringing a handgun into the state of NY.

Well, do you have a handgun permit that's recognized by the State of New York?

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    New York only recognizes NY permits UNLESS you're Law Enforcement.
    New York City does not even recognize the right of out-of-state police (great law, huh???)

With a NY permit, each handgun must be registered and recorded on the permit, serial numbers must be included. If it ain't listed, you've just made a donation to their auction room and you'll be talking to one of NY's famously liberal judges (They also have a well earned reputation for NOT being inline with our viewpoints on guns) :rolleyes:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    When I did this a few years ago, we stayed @ a hotel (red roof inn) in Erie, PA. When we left, I asked the mgr if I could store my guns in their office safe (I explained the laws to them, as well). They were happy to help me out & I picked up my guns after going to Niagara Falls. It was only for a couple of days & I don't know if they would've been as willing if it was for a week or more, or if we hadn't stayed the night @ that hotel, too. The other option would be find a dealer just out of NY, contact them & see if they would be willing to keep them for you. Not sure how the transfer back to you would work, being a non resident (perhaps a dealer could answer this for you, too). Good luck.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Do not EVER try to cross the border with a pistol of ANY kind. Ask my friend Cathy who was at niagra doing the same thing you are and forgot she had a pistol in her glove box. 5 days in jail and her pistol was kept to be DESTROYED. Her final fine was 1k US dollars and of course loss of her pistol. I advise finding storage on the US side,it will not be easy though the US side is mostly a dump...if you never have been you will see what I mean.Perhaps a box at a local bank? Rental should not be more than 9-10 dollars for the month.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Do not EVER try to cross the border with a pistol of ANY kind. Ask my friend Cathy who was at niagra doing the same thing you are and forgot she had a pistol in her glove box. 5 days in jail and her pistol was kept to be DESTROYED. Her final fine was 1k US dollars and of course loss of her pistol. I advise finding storage on the US side,it will not be easy though the US side is mostly a dump...if you never have been you will see what I mean.Perhaps a box at a local bank? Rental should not be more than 9-10 dollars for the month.

Not just the US side, but OUTSIDE OF NY! The only thing that NY is not as restrictive as Canada is long guns. Pistol possession in NY w/o a NY license will cost you your gun, your freedom, thousands of $$ & maybe the right to own guns in the future (as in felony).

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Sorry. We're just trying to look out for ya.
    It wouldn't do anyone any good to have you go thru all that hassle. If you're still going, have a safe trip. Niagra Falls is beautiful.:)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Having grown up in Detroit and crossed into Windsor on many occasions, I can assure you that they have NO sense of humor about ANYTHING. You DO NOT F@!$ with Customs.

I lived in Royal Oak for two years and never made it across the border, how sad is that? lol

As for the OP, certainly sounds like it isn't worth it. I can see MAYBE chancing carrying in a locked box deep in the trunk in NY, but what good would that really do you...eh? :)

Top Bottom