• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike46060

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hamilton Co.
    I can't decide. I like them both, but there can be only one.

There are positives and negatives for each one and I'm torn. Anyone have experience with these that can offer any insight?

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Las month I picked up a Trijicon Accupower. It is the same as the Accupoint, but runs on a Cr2032 battery. I prefer the reticle it offers over the Accupoint and PST reticles. Definitely worth a look and comes in right between the Accupoint and PST price point.

mike46060

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks. I'll take look.
    What color reticle did you go with? I'm used to using anow Eotech, so I'm not sure how well green will stand out against green foliage.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Having had both, I preferred the Accupoint. But, with that being said, I also prefer optics that don't need batteries. So maybe I'm a little biased. You won't be disappointed with either optic though.

mike46060

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hamilton Co.
    It came down to the price and warranty. I stopped by the Cabelas in Dundee on my way back home today. They had a factory refurbished PST 2.5-10x44 that I was able to get for $370. I wasn't planning on buying one so soon, but that was too good a deal to pass up.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    I just purchased a Vortex PST this week. I will say my experience with the scope was a real let down. Out of the box the scope looks great, nice turrets, side focus, and nice finish. But once got to the range that is when I was disappointed.

The glass is horrible, worse than my $80 Simmons 22 mag scope.

The scope is always out of focus (blurred like when your eye prescription goes bad). I have tried every adjustment to remedy the problem with no success. I did torque the rings to 18in/lbs. I also removed the scope and the problem was still there. So its no the parallax locking up.

Also, once the magnification is over 8 power, you cannot use the scope because the clarity of the glass is so poor.

Compared to my Burris Mtac 3.5-10 set at 10x. I have to have the vortex at around 14x to get the same magnification. Combine the two previous problems with the vortex and the scope is useless at that power.

So my conclusion of my actual scope. I would rather mount and use my $80 Simmons that I can actually use. Initial disappointment from Vortex! My PST is the 4-16 and after discovering my problem I did some online reading and I am not the only one with the clarity problem at higher magnification with this scope. Vortex does know its a problem and is still selling a problematic scope.

Now let me say. I have talked vortex and the scope is already on its way to them for them to look at. They even emailed a return shipping label (which they should).
    I am waiting to see what they are going to do. I hope they make it right, since I do like some of the features of the scope. If not the scope will be returned to retailer. I will say in the future I will probably stay away anything Vortex. I shouldn't have to send in a brand new scope for repairs that the manufacturer knows is a problem. Their are too many other good options out there.

Indyfishyak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have just recently just purchased the Vortex PST and at a 1/3 the cost Primary arms 4-14 x 44 illuminated. Depending on what you are trying to do with it, unless you are at longer ranges glass clarity IMO means nothing. I think you are looking at trying to find a higher quality glass but if not for you but others reading this. Look at Primary Arms. I think hands down better bang for the buck of their pier price comp of SWFA (fixed) and you get a FFP variable power illuminated for less than $350.

lastly the vortex warranty is pretty hard to beat. I have no experience with the other scope.

mike46060

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hamilton Co.
    I mounted it on my Sig last night. I'm having issues getting the both the reticle and image to be crisp. I'm a little disappointed. I was only looking at something about 20 yards away so I'm hoping that when I take it to the range it will look a little better.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have no first hand experience with shooting a rifle with a PST on it but have handled them a couple times(6-24) and was not impressed. I too have heard of glass clarity issues with the 4-16 PST's. I have owned a Crossfire 2 6-18ao and thought it had better glass than the PST as the image on the 6-24 started to get fuzzy at and above 20x. I do still own a gen 1 razor hd and love it, only way I would replace it is for the gen 2. The razors are leaps and bounds better than the PST's but also significantly more expensive. I have been looking at scopes in the $600-$900 range with a 14-16 power on the high end of magnification and sadly the Vortex isn't anywhere in the running, even with the warranty. I would recommend looking at the new Burris XTR2 if want something with similar features to the PST and reportedly has better glass.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you had clarity issues with a PST, you should have sent it to Vortex. I've not seen any with clarity issues, and my 4-16 is very good. On par with a Leupold MK 4.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If not the scope will be returned to retailer. I will say in the future I will probably stay away anything Vortex. I shouldn't have to send in a brand new scope for repairs that the manufacturer knows is a problem. Their are too many other good options out there.

It's a mass produced item, I know it sucks and left a bad taste in your mount but things like this unfortunately happen. Having to send back a brand new item because it doesn't work is always a possibility be it a scope, gun, car, electronic, etc. Sometimes things slip, it sucks, but the 4-16 PST is a nice scope. The 6-24s I've looked through has had some distortion on higher magnifications at longer distances and when the adjustments are near max the reticle can get out of center a little, but a scope near max adjustment usually act weird.

All that being said, I like Vortex, but I also really like every Trijicon I have and all their glass I've looked through.

Vortex scopes (higher end) tend to be a tad heavy, and Trijicons heavier yet. Just an observation but they're both pretty solid in terms of ruggedness

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I mounted it on my Sig last night. I'm having issues getting the both the reticle and image to be crisp. I'm a little disappointed. I was only looking at something about 20 yards away so I'm hoping that when I take it to the range it will look a little better.

Aim the scope into the sky and just focus the eyepiece on the reticule. Turn the magnification all the way down and look at something farther away. I think 20 yards is too close for anything higher than 2.5x.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24, and the glass is excellent. Even at full power I still get a nice crisp image. I used it at 400 meters this weekend, and could see the target perfectly. Anyone who has a vortex with fuzzy glass should contact them. They are reputed to have great customer service, and I would certainly hope they would quickly remedy the problem.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have an HST 4-16x and can't quite focus on a 1/4" grid target set at 25 yards. Farther targets look great, slightly better than my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x. The trij has a slight haze to it but beats the Vortex at night.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Probably not relevant to his thread, but my Vortex PST 1-4 is really nice. Very clear at its highest mag and I can go to 200 yds just fine. Zeroed it almost 3 years ago and still holds it.
    I get 1-1.5 MOA 3 round groups @100 out of a Colt AR but I'm still learning how to shoot.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Short range focus is a mathematical issue. You only have so much physical travel for the eye piece lens. With the HST, and most PST models, your general goal is longer range shooting and the scope is sized as such.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Just to update about my Vortex PST 4-16.

I got my scope back today from Vortex. All they did was adjust the parallax and re-purged the scope. After looking through the scope, it apparent that nothing was changed. Still very poor clarity and blurred. Obviously, I did go through all of the adjustment on the scope. But it never had any definition.

Since I am not happy with the scope. I went back to the store to return the optic. The employee that helped me out was very nice. I even compared my scope with other Vortex PST 4-16 they had in stock. All of the 4-16x glass looked the same. Then I had the employee look through both 4-16x to make sure it wasn't my eyes. The employee also agreed the glass was horrible on this particular model. We then compared many different brands and even the Vortex 6-24 PST. Every other scope that we both looked through was much better (employee also looked and agreed). The 6-24 PST was much better (a little fuzzy at max magnification) but was too big and had too much magnification for my needs. I ended up with a Leupold VX3I 30mm side focus which has very clear glass.

I am happy with the Leupold but bummed about the Vortex (I really liked the features of the scope). I've heard so much good things about Vortex and was really hoping that the scope had a problem that could be fixed. However from this experience and a Vortex 3x magnifier that I used to own, I haven't had the best experience with their quality. I will probably spend my money elsewhere unless they make some serious quality changes.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Lies! This is INGO, and Vortex is the only optic company worth looking at!
    I've had pretty poor luck with most of the stuff I've bought from them. They may have a terrific warranty, but I'd prefer to buy a product that I'm not likely going to need it for.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom