Trigger Locks In Gun Stores - Won't Remove Them...Is This New?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Screw the big box stores. Support your LGS.

This ^^.

I didn't lay the cash on the counter, but that's what happened to me too.

Maybe they aren't interested in selling guns to actual shooters?

We'll show them Rhino. Let's go in, start trying on sports bras, and loudly announce: "I guess we finally found something they won't mind letting us try out first!" It will be great, trust me.

I know there are folks from Braddis...Orion...and a few others in here - what say ye? What is all this?

I really don't want to come off as tart, but I really don't get what you don't understand about this. The stores you are attempting to buy from are - and I really can't emphasize this enough - NOT GUN STORES. They make most of their money off other things. At a Big Box store, the people who call the shots are NOT GUN PEOPLE. They are corporate employees who always act in the interest of minimizing financial risk to the store. Which, to them, means making sure none of "their" guns ever go off in the store, causing disruption and keeping them from selling that "other stuff." Guns are special items, not like buying a toaster. You need to buy from "gun people." People who understand you wouldn't spend several hundred dollars on a gun, not knowing what you're getting into trigger-wise. People from places like Bradis would not know how to answer your question about these places, because they are gun people, and they understand your needs as a buyer. They are as different as a cat and dog from the type of places you're describing. Their only business is guns, and they will accommodate you properly as a "gun person."

Leave those losers alone, and make the trip to a gun store. It's worth the trip.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    The number 1 complaint I hear from gun shop owners is people buying from box stores and needing someone to work on said firearm. Buy from a gunshop, get to know the owners and develop a friendship. I have purchased many Mosins over the years from the Dunhams from Marion and Wabash. Got to be pretty good friends with the store managers. They still wont break rules and pull a trigger lock. When I walk into a gunshop I don't have to worry about trigger locks. I also know that any questions I have will be answered honestly.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I asked at Rural King, I was told that at one of their locations at some time in the past, a person had asked to see a pistol, loaded it with a round out of his pocket and committed suicide so corporate policy is the lock/ziptie, etc., stays on.

Even after a purchase, a salesperson holds the package and walks you to the exit before handing it over....and yes, the personnel I've talked to understand how silly the policy is.

Not too many years back, there was a story about a guy who walked into a Rural King in Illinois I believe, and asked to see an AR15.
    Clerk handed it to him and he promptly loaded it with ammunition from his pocket and started shooting customers.
    I believe the perp was killed.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    The rural king story is told to people in all ways and shapes but I doubt it ever happened. They use an outside consultant company wide to make sure they go over and above the letter of the law to ensure they keep their firearms licenses. The hoops you have to jump thru to sell a firearm to someone are substantial. If you aren't willing to buy without dry firing and an excess of paperwork hoops while you wait then shop local.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This ^^.

We'll show them Rhino. Let's go in, start trying on sports bras, and loudly announce: "I guess we finally found something they won't mind letting us try out first!" It will be great, trust me.

I really don't want to come off as tart, but I really don't get what you don't understand about this. The stores you are attempting to buy from are - and I really can't emphasize this enough - NOT GUN STORES. They make most of their money off other things. At a Big Box store, the people who call the shots are NOT GUN PEOPLE. They are corporate employees who always act in the interest of minimizing financial risk to the store. Which, to them, means making sure none of "their" guns ever go off in the store, causing disruption and keeping them from selling that "other stuff." Guns are special items, not like buying a toaster. You need to buy from "gun people." People who understand you wouldn't spend several hundred dollars on a gun, not knowing what you're getting into trigger-wise. People from places like Bradis would not know how to answer your question about these places, because they are gun people, and they understand your needs as a buyer. They are as different as a cat and dog from the type of places you're describing. Their only business is guns, and they will accommodate you properly as a "gun person."

Leave those losers alone, and make the trip to a gun store. It's worth the trip.

I too go in gun stores and usually buy from my guy in Shoals, but it's surprising that Bass Pro (just visited the one in Memphis this past weekend - the pyramid - same story), a store whose only clientele are outdoors men and women, would follow suit with all the other "box stores". No one I know would buy a firearm without trying the trigger. Period.

I guess, back to my original question, please tell me real gun stores aren't going this way. Please tell me there's no law or rule forcing stores this way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I too go in gun stores and usually buy from my guy in Shoals, but it's surprising that Bass Pro (just visited the one in Memphis this past weekend - the pyramid - same story), a store whose only clientele are outdoors men and women, would follow suit with all the other "box stores". No one I know would buy a firearm without trying the trigger. Period.

I guess, back to my original question, please tell me real gun stores aren't going this way. Please tell me there's no law or rule forcing stores this way.

Lawyers.

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    if i cant check the trigger out on a gun before the purchase. I wont purchase it. I think the few bucks one saves at the big box stores is not worth it. Simply put you get no expertise, advice, or service after the sale to save what 25 to 50 bucks.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Haven't heard anyone from a gun shop chime in, so I sent an e-mail to Kentucky Gun Company and asked them what's going on. Here's their reply:

"I don’t know why they are doing that. Probably some idea a lawyer came up with for liability reasons. We won’t be doing that.

Thanks,

John"

Top Bottom