• WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So I was having an interesting discussion with shibumiseeker over here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/165912-perfection-4.html

and I posed the theory that trigger finger length/hand size has little to nothing to do with one's over-all size. And before anyone brings it up I do realize there is more to hand size than trigger finger length (there is also the size of the hand itself as well as width and what not)....and also one's frame size is as important as overall stature. But since the forum software only allows for 10 poll options I'm going to have to try and tabulate the results myself so I'm trying to keep this relatively simple.. Here is what I'd like everyone in the forum to do:

Measure your trigger finger with a tape measure if you are right handed use that hand. Lefties measure your left. Post your finger results in millimeters and also state which height group you belong to. Here is a picture to show exactly what I am measuring. I'm calling my trigger finger length at 69 mm.:

trigger.jpg

According to the CDC:

FASTSTATS - Body Measurements

the average American adult male is about 5ft 10inches in height. So I made up the following height classes to keep this simple:

TINY= 5ft. 4 inches or less

SHORT= 5ft 5 inches - 5ft 7 inches

AVERAGE= 5ft 8 inches - 5ft 11 inches

TALL= 6ft. - 6ft 6 inches

Ginormous= 6ft 7 inches or more

So my results are:

TINY - 69mm trigger finger

So please post what size class you are in and what your trigger finger measures in MM. Then periodically I will post the percentage breakdowns assuming I can whip something up in Excel to do the math for me! :D

edit - females are free to post and if I get enough data I will try to do something with those figures too. Please state in your post if you are female!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Heh. I'm in the short category at 5'7" and my trigger finger is 70mm :)

I find a bigger factor in grip comfort has less to do with finger length and more to do the the natural angle the thumb's metacarpals come off the carpals and where that sits. The further forward that is (more in line with the other four fingers) the less tolerant a person is of a wide grip. The tip of my thumb comes to about the middle of the proximal phalanx of my index finger. This far back requires me to have a fatter grip for comfort as otherwise it wraps my trigger finger around the front of the trigger to the middle phalanx. An x-ray of my hand shows my thumb coming off at a greater angle which is well suited for grasping.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Tall, 88mm. I'm 6'1, size 10 shoes, can (barely) palm a basketball, and have a giant (8+) head. My son's 15 and wears 12 shoes. Neither of us looks like a mutant. Not too much, anyway :)

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm on the high side of your avg group.

82mm trigger finger.

Interestingly enough, I'm left handed, and my right index finger actually measures a couple mm shorter.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Heh. I'm in the short category at 5'7" and my trigger finger is 70mm :)

I find a bigger factor in grip comfort has less to do with finger length and more to do the the natural angle the thumb's metacarpals come off the carpals and where that sits. The further forward that is (more in line with the other four fingers) the less tolerant a person is of a wide grip. The tip of my thumb comes to about the middle of the proximal phalanx of my index finger. This far back requires me to have a fatter grip for comfort as otherwise it wraps my trigger finger around the front of the trigger to the middle phalanx. An x-ray of my hand shows my thumb coming off at a greater angle which is well suited for grasping.

Well you certainly won the genetics lottery with that bone arrangement didn't ya?

:rockwoot:

Lucky bastage

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well you certainly won the genetics lottery with that bone arrangement didn't ya?

:rockwoot:

Lucky bastage

Nah, I pretty much have to have a MIAD grip for ARs and I can't shoot my Walther PPS worth a crap because it doesn't fit my hand well, even though I really like the gun. It is luck though that the caliber I prefer is primarily offered in a gun that fits me well :D

I've just adapted my life with things my body is suited for, that's why I like caving because having short legs and a longer torso and being shorter than average is a big advantage.

I don't rock climb seriously (I do climb but I'll never be really good at it) because I'm not tall and thin. Same with long distance running, or dance or stuff like that. Piano? Forget it!

I hope we get a fair number of responses here, I'd love to see the results when you run the numbers, and for that we need a statistical sample size that means something.

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    5'-11" with 80mm trigger finger.

Are you measuring to the web between your trigger finger and middle finger or to the crease of your finger?

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I am tall with 80 mm finger. Perhaps a more telling dimension would be from web between thumb and first finger (where revolver or pistol is held) to the tip of trigger finger. This would account for those of use with large paws and shorter fingers. More like measuring for length of pull on shotgun. By this measure, I am 116 mm.

Top Bottom