• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Anybody else caught themselves maintaining trigger discipline on everything? It seems like every time I hold a drill my index is always up on the frame. Today it was a drain auger with a pistol grip. There I was, standing at the checkout, maintaining the four rules. Wouldn't want anybody to accidentally get augered in the face. I'm such a dork.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anybody else caught themselves maintaining trigger discipline on everything? It seems like every time I hold a drill my index is always up on the frame. Today it was a drain auger with a pistol grip. There I was, standing at the checkout, maintaining the four rules. Wouldn't want anybody to accidentally get augered in the face. I'm such a dork.

Muscle memory my friend. Muscle memory. That is a good thing.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

yes, and my wife was laughing at me during one home project and I asked what was so funny..... I apparently do battery changes like mag changes, too...

-rvb

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Actually, some professionals will tell you that you should be using your second finger to operate the trigger on a drill and your index rides along side to help guide the drill. Had a Milwaukee power tool rep tell me that once.

I have been doing it that way long before I heard about indexing the trigger finger.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have two friends with missing body parts due to power tools, nothing wrong with safety. Thanks for the tip on using the second finger, now I need to find something to drill.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Actually, some professionals will tell you that you should be using your second finger to operate the trigger on a drill and your index rides along side to help guide the drill. Had a Milwaukee power tool rep tell me that once.

With 25 years of commercial construction experience, I've never heard such a thing. Sounds like one less finger holding the drill and a terrible idea. Ever had a 1/2" Milwaukee drill ripped out of your hand when the bit caught? Not a pleasant thing at all.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    With 25 years of commercial construction experience, I've never heard such a thing. Sounds like one less finger holding the drill and a terrible idea. Ever had a 1/2" Milwaukee drill ripped out of your hand when the bit caught? Not a pleasant thing at all.
    For drilling holes? Sure, especially large holes. For running screws, I've always used my middle finger for trigger pull, and the index finger along the frame for added control.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    This is not dorky in the slightest.
    It has become so ingrained into your habits that you do it unconsciously now.
    That's nothing to laugh at; it's something to appreciate.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Glad you posted this,, I thought I was the only one that did this. I also have trouble simply setting the table,, I pick up the knives, like I am getting into a knife fight!!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I do too. I thought it was just me.

And I too prefer the middle finger with a supporting index for precision work. It's awesome.

But I'll be damned if Im gonna use that technique with the big dog running large bore bits or the hammer setting.

the middle finger also come in handy for Nerf guns during Nerf gun wars. The handles are just too damned small to use an index finger.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

I have been doing it that way long before I heard about indexing the trigger finger.

Oh boy, paging 5shot.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I do it all the time. Staple gun, even though I squeeze with all my fingers. Power Drills, etc. If it's a gun shape object, I find myself doing that.

Top Bottom