• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    We have chased trespassers out of our woods for as long as I can remember.

When confronting trespassers, just where would the law stand on brandishing a weapon?
    I dont mean having them lined up in your sights, but having a pistol in hand, or preferably a long gun of some sort. I only ask as most trespassers we encounter are hunting, and thus armed themselves, and the odds are strong that if we have caught someone, it is because we were out hunting as well. I would hate to get into trouble because I can see a trespasser calling the law because some person had a gun and chased them off.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It would be nice if gates were all that it took to curb trespassing. Seems that if someone were going to trespass, then a closed gate wouldnt stop them. Signs work about as well, they keep honest people out, but then an honest person would just ask, instead of just assuming.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It would be nice if gates were all that it took to curb trespassing. Seems that if someone were going to trespass, then a closed gate wouldnt stop them. Signs work about as well, they keep honest people out, but then an honest person would just ask, instead of just assuming.

The signs are to cover thy butt, incase you have to get physical or have to use your gun;)

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    We have several gates as we have approximately 10 pastures year round and an extra two when the crops are down. We have cattle and even they know where the feed lot is during the winter there is just entirely too many nutrient rich fields waiting for them to come chew the cornstalks out of.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    You give them an inch they go a mile. Yes to ONE guy ends up being him and his buddies, then just his buddies, then the buddies of the buddies...

This is why my answer is always NO. Then there is no doubt. I see you out here, YOU'RE TRESPASSING.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    ^^ this!!! all you need is parts of one body and people will believe it :D

I remember reading an article in the paper about a lady who got in trouble for setting bear traps in her yard.

Every year she put out a **** ton of Christmas decorations and lights, and every year vandals would steal and destroy them. So, she set the traps.

Ended up SHE was the one who got in trouble. I don't recall if someone was actually caught in one, but I would think they would have since it made the news...:dunno:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I remember reading an article in the paper about a lady who got in trouble for setting bear traps in her yard.

Every year she put out a **** ton of Christmas decorations and lights, and every year vandals would steal and destroy them. So, she set the traps.

Ended up SHE was the one who got in trouble. I don't recall if someone was actually caught in one, but I would think they would have since it made the news...:dunno:
    yep thats true. your not allowed to do it. its sad. people can sue you and get away with being the criminals anymore. the good guys almost always lose anymore. im for wild west justice. and duels :):

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    if you put a sign that says "homeowner not liable for unauthorized vehicles" you can't really get in trouble if he doesn't see and avoid the butcher knife in the sidewall of his tire.

also... lift the drive axle(s) a half inch off the ground and loosely tape rocks to his wheels. It will look like its on the ground, but he'll start up the truck, put it in gear, hear the rocks smack into the wheelwell and the speedo will wind up to speed....the truck will stay still.
    or wrap big (1/2'' wide) zipties on the driveshaft to give a really nice buzzing sound as he drives away.

the aforementioned are non-damaging pranks to pull to discourage trespassing. y'all can pm me if you want anything that is a little more proactive.

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I just love all the criminal behavior being bandied about as viable options...

-J-

Given the situation, the admission of past criminal transgressions, and the fact that he has been snooping around the property, what would you do exactly? Response time is FAR longer than it would take for them to get the hell out of dodge.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But unfortunately there are laws that would bring penalties for most all of the ideas listed. You are left to call the police every time you see them on your property. You might set up video or those game cameras to document his trespass.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I can't even imagine how angry I'd be if I had people doing that to me on a consistant basis. It's kind of reminds me of those old car chases where the cop takes off and doesn't realize that there's a long cable attached to a tree on one end and his axle on the other. Crying shame.

Also reminds me of all those times you see cars on fire on the news. Crying Shame.

The old valve stem trick is a pretty nice one, but I don't know if it goes far enough. Lossening up a oil pan or similar plug, something put in the gas tank to kill the engine or anything along those lines would be a crying shame.

I've spent my whole life trying to get setup to buy & own land. I desperately hope nobody ever did anything like that to me. When it comes to someone crawling around my property uninvited where my kids are, I just don't even want to think of what I'd do.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I can't even imagine how angry I'd be if I had people doing that to me on a consistant basis. It's kind of reminds me of those old car chases where the cop takes off and doesn't realize that there's a long cable attached to a tree on one end and his axle on the other. Crying shame.

Also reminds me of all those times you see cars on fire on the news. Crying Shame.

The old valve stem trick is a pretty nice one, but I don't know if it goes far enough. Lossening up a oil pan or similar plug, something put in the gas tank to kill the engine or anything along those lines would be a crying shame.

I've spent my whole life trying to get setup to buy & own land. I desperately hope nobody ever did anything like that to me. When it comes to someone crawling around my property uninvited where my kids are, I just don't even want to think of what I'd do.

Not to mention if he gets hurt breaking the law I am liable for his injuries.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Get ya some salt rocks loaded up and wait for him to come back and light him up! He wont be back after that! If he is stupid enough to come back after that then use your own descetion.

Top Bottom