• Has this happened to you?

• Total voters

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Just wondering how many of you have either seen someone else hunt your tree stand or noticed that someone else was there? It has happened multiple times to me and want to make sure I'm not the only one who finds it disrespectful.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I've not seen any signs of people doing it. It's my property so I shouldn't see any signs of it. I've got my place heavily posted.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    You're a lucky one, I'm interested In what the public land hunters deal with. I myself am on private property but other hunters in the area like to make whatever is there, theirs.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Although Ive never found someone in my stands, or found anyone using them, I voted yes because I have found other peoples treestands on our farm.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Although Ive never found someone in my stands, or found anyone using them, I voted yes because I have found other peoples treestands on our farm.

I would suggest waiting until they are in the offending stand and then do what comes natural with your chainsaw.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Just wondering how many of you have either seen someone else hunt your tree stand or noticed that someone else was there? It has happened multiple times to me and want to make sure I'm not the only one who finds it disrespectful.

Most public ground it's not lawful to leave a stand up, is it? I leave some ladders up here on the home place and occasionally my BIL accumulates a new one for me that somebody else puts on his place. Finders keepers if you trespassed to put it up.:dunno:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I would suggest waiting until they are in the offending stand and then do what comes natural with your chainsaw.

I havent found any since Ive been old enough to do anything about it. I always just told my dad and he dealt with it. Im not really sure what ever became of them. If I find any now though, itll be Christmas in the woods. :):

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Have a buddy in southern Indiana who has 70 acres and lets me and a buddy hunt his property. My buddy has had two ladder stands stolen. He ven chained the second one up but they must've used bolt cutters.

The owner has ran several people off his land. It's well posted as private but these douchebags don't care.

I use a climber. Summit viper SS

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've had to run off numerous people from my uncle's land in Putnam County. It's very hilly so people will creep through the creeks and ravines and expect not to get caught.

knoxace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    On public land you can leave your tree stand , I leave one up all deer season on public land . DNR sets the dates that you can . think its a week b4 and week after . you must put your name address and phone # on it . Sofar none of mine have been stolen . I am not sure but i think if you leave it on public land anyone can use it ? I really dont have a problem with someone using it once but im sure if they made a habit of it it would stop . MOST will respect your property .

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW I have hunted public ground near other's stands and never seen anybody come to use them. Either they had vacation changes, something come up or hunted way different times or maybe just once or twice. I bet some folks place multiple stands but only hunt one or two, either those hunted stands smoking hot, or they just wanted to stake out a lot of "claims" to save spots.

It's public ground.

Don't hog it.

Pack it in or out, or if you leave it overnight use something where the access can be limited- either a fold-over on a ladder stand you can lock out, or climbing sticks you can bring back and forth.

I agree, most will respect other's property. But then whoever leaves a stand out all yr and only uses it a few times, isn't being respectful of the property in general, and that it is for public use.

Really simple IMHO..........if you want to hunt public land, leave a stand out, and keep others out of it...........use a hang-on with climbing sticks, yank the sticks after you hunt.

As for removal times, I was yote hunting public land last yr, well actually this yr, late Feb and deer hunters had left several ladder stands out. No tracks in the snow, so we hunted from a couple. I know one was an aluminum jobby that was left from the yr before, never removed per regs. AFAIC that made it a public stand (not even gonna go into it, about how some folks drive their trucks back illegally to place ladder stands a week before gun). I didn't report them, but IMHO that BS means it's a public stand.

I don't gun hunt deer on public land, but come yote season I'll use those guy's illegally set up stands. If they don't like it and want to chat I'll be more than happy to discuss what I saw with them, and the DNR.

Dunno when stand removal time is, but most of the stands I found in late bow were there during yote hunting in middle/late Feb. Some still there.

Last edited:

knoxace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    FWIW I have hunted public ground near other's stands and never seen anybody come to use them. Either they had vacation changes, something come up or hunted way different times or maybe just once or twice. I bet some folks place multiple stands but only hunt one or two, either those hunted stands smoking hot, or they just wanted to stake out a lot of "claims" to save spots.

It's public ground.

Don't hog it.

Pack it in or out, or if you leave it overnight use something where the access can be limited- either a fold-over on a ladder stand you can lock out, or climbing sticks you can bring back and forth.

I agree, most will respect other's property. But then whoever leaves a stand out all yr and only uses it a few times, isn't being respectful of the property in general, and that it is for public use.

Really simple IMHO..........if you want to hunt public land, leave a stand out, and keep others out of it...........use a hang-on with climbing sticks, yank the sticks after you hunt.

As for removal times, I was yote hunting public land last yr, well actually this yr, late Feb and deer hunters had left several ladder stands out. No tracks in the snow, so we hunted from a couple. I know one was an aluminum jobby that was left from the yr before, never removed per regs. AFAIC that made it a public stand (not even gonna go into it, about how some folks drive their trucks back illegally to place ladder stands a week before gun). I didn't report them, but IMHO that BS means it's a public stand.

I don't gun hunt deer on public land, but come yote season I'll use those guy's illegally set up stands. If they don't like it and want to chat I'll be more than happy to discuss what I saw with them, and the DNR.

Dunno when stand removal time is, but most of the stands I found in late bow were there during yote hunting in middle/late Feb. Some still there.
    If you only hunt once or twice sure pack it out . I start in bow season and i use the stand I put on public land at least 3 times a week all season even in firearm season . Except the week I was on vacation ... my buddy used it that week did not want the seat it get cold . back to the OP use my stand its in the middle of a few thousand acres of public land . plenty of room and there are still a few big ones out there . just use plenty of sent blocker ......

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have had it happen several times at my parents. On guy even had the balls to argue that the tree stand was his and he was on his own property....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    when i was 9ish it was one of the first times i had ever sat in a tree by my self. my father was in a tree 50-75yds away so he could keep a eye on me. it was opening morning of shotgun season i we were in our trees way early due to a 9yd being overly excited. i saw a flashlight comming up the fenceline on property we (my father and i) were the only ones allowed to hunt. it got pretty close and dad came out of his tree to see who it was. before he got out of his tree the light crossed the fence right behind my stand (20yds) and came over and tied his gun to my rope. before my father got there i pulled his gun up the tree. you talk about a supprised look on his face when his gun took off up the tree.

he and my father had a long talk, i lowered the gun and we went back to hunting

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    "Hunting, trapping, chasing or retreiving game on private land without the consent of the landowner or tenant" is a violation of Indiana Hunting Regulations per page 5 of same. Ssoooo...

I found a huge side by side stand built of treated lumber in my woods several years ago. Must have been a carpenter by trade/want'a be hunter as it was really nice construction.

Real hunters get permission to hunt other peoples private property first.

Guess you can tell I'm not a deer hunter. No one had permission to hunt my property and they had to have passed by the no trespassing signs.

Returned later with a chain saw and left it in a pile of firewood size pieces right where it stood. Added the ratchet straps to my box of tie downs.

It takes less time to get permission than to scout out an area for optimal stand placement.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Last year I noticed a couple of cigaratte butts at the bottom of my stand, I don't smoke. Then I found a gut pile walking from my stand one morning about 40 yards from my stand, most likely a kill from my stand. Noticed another pile very near the first one a few weeks later. I probably won't put a stand in that spot again. Seems to be way too common on state property, but unless you catch the guy in your stand, there's not much you can do.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Back in the day we would have climbed the tree and jerked their you know what out!

Not even necessarily back in the day. I found a guy hunting in one of my stands, on my land, in Putnam County in 2009. I told him there were 2 ways he was leaving immediately but only one of them involved him being alive. I haven't seen the guy back since.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    yep, actually had a guy climb up my dad stands while he was in it... Needless to say he was shocked when he got about 1/2 way up and my dad yelled at him and had his bow at full draw while asking him to climb down.

For full disclosure this was the second time that season my dad had thrown this person off his property. he then had him charged with trespassing.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I have seen it on my Dad's property. It isn't close to either of us so we don't get to watch it much. I noticed when I was turkey hunting they liked my nice double ladder stand that they took it. Kind of a bummer and of course would love to catch them doing such things.

Top Bottom