• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If it's wrong then why does it feel soooooo right?

Subvert the dominant paradigm: buy a futon, and a banana hammock and live life to it's fullest.

Anyone know what the camo pattern is? Looks very "Halo-esque"

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I first heard of the 300blackout my first thoughts were having a hell of a lot more range available to the platform. What you give up in drop you gain in the round's ability to buck wind, and maintain momentum. I'd think it'd be much easier for someone like myself to reach out with it than I could with 5.56, drop has never been hard for me to figure out after a few shots, wind is another matter for my novice abilities.

I'd absolutely love to get into the round, but I can't fund an upper right now, and I already have a deep stockpile of 5.56 built up. I would just rebarrel for it otherwise.

I just really wish the 7.62x40mm would have took off better and wound up standardized. That was some of the most impressive ballistics I've ever seen out of a practical wildcat for the AR15 platform. All those years ago reading up about what someone cooked up in that loading, had my jaw on the floor. I guess the 7.62x35mm is going to keep advancing, and may wind up matching the performance I first read of on the 7.62x40mm.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The camo is Kryptek I believe. They did some patterns for the family of camouflage testing the Army did.

I knew i could count on Booya

Kryptek-Outdoor-Camouflage-Patterns.jpg

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I knew i could count on Booya

Kryptek-Outdoor-Camouflage-Patterns.jpg

Finally, a decent one liner post with my name in it!! :). I've gotten to see and play with the Kryptek camo a bit and I like it a lot. I'm not the kind if guy that just jumps on board with the new stuff, but I do like this camo. Doin think its more functional then some if the newer ones the Army is considering? Not really, but I dig it anyway!

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    When I first heard of the 300blackout my first thoughts were having a hell of a lot more range available to the platform. What you give up in drop you gain in the round's ability to buck wind, and maintain momentum. I'd think it'd be much easier for someone like myself to reach out with it than I could with 5.56, drop has never been hard for me to figure out after a few shots, wind is another matter for my novice abilities.

I'd absolutely love to get into the round, but I can't fund an upper right now, and I already have a deep stockpile of 5.56 built up. I would just rebarrel for it otherwise.

I just really wish the 7.62x40mm would have took off better and wound up standardized. That was some of the most impressive ballistics I've ever seen out of a practical wildcat for the AR15 platform. All those years ago reading up about what someone cooked up in that loading, had my jaw on the floor. I guess the 7.62x35mm is going to keep advancing, and may wind up matching the performance I first read of on the 7.62x40mm.

The x40 case is too long for sub sonic use in a standard ar mag. Even the alot of the regular supersonic loads won't run right in a standard pmag. That's why they sell the modified lancers.

Another thing people over look with blackout is you can stock less projectiles or save buying bulk. Both my lr308 and my 300 blackout share the same bullets. I usually load a hornady 150gr bt for plinking loads for both.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Finally, a decent one liner post with my name in it!! :). I've gotten to see and play with the Kryptek camo a bit and I like it a lot. I'm not the kind if guy that just jumps on board with the new stuff, but I do like this camo. Doin think its more functional then some if the newer ones the Army is considering? Not really, but I dig it anyway!

It does look cool but damn is it pricey. I almost ordered some of the pants until i heard they are cut ass crack low, like what chicks wear to show off their undies. While the idea is enticing i may have to pass for now. BTW I'd be careful using quotes from me in your sig line as others might see it for what it is...a half naked guy on a futon that knew he could count on you for something.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If someone marketed a 6mm AR cartridge like the 300 Blackout has been marketed, people would wonder why anyone ever cared about 300 BLK to begin with.

If you think I'm crazy, do a Google search and check out the ballistics for yourself. A 107 grain Sierra Match King shot at 2900 FPS from an AR-15 would have better drop and wind performance than a .308 Winchester with any bullet, shot from any length barrel.

No, it wouldn't compete with a .300 Win Mag or 260 Remington, but it would be able to completely replace .243 Winchester in a smaller platform and better ballistics.

Hard to believe that 6.5 Grendel has caught on so well when the same cartridge necked to 6mm would be an even better match for the powder capacity.

Tell me I'm crazy if you want to, but this cartridge would shoot like a laser from an AR-15:
    http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    BTW I'd be careful using quotes from me in your sig line as others might see it for what it is...a half naked guy on a futon that knew he could count on you for something.

I never knew you rolled that way, Booya....

wink-emoticon.jpg

:D:): I'm happily married with 3 beautiful children, if a half naked guy on a futon can count on me, then anyone can! That's just the kind of guy I am!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If someone marketed a 6mm AR cartridge like the 300 Blackout has been marketed, people would wonder why anyone ever cared about 300 BLK to begin with.

If you think I'm crazy, do a Google search and check out the ballistics for yourself. A 107 grain Sierra Match King shot at 2900 FPS from an AR-15 would have better drop and wind performance than a .308 Winchester with any bullet, shot from any length barrel.

No, it wouldn't compete with a .300 Win Mag or 260 Remington, but it would be able to completely replace .243 Winchester in a smaller platform and better ballistics.

Hard to believe that 6.5 Grendel has caught on so well when the same cartridge necked to 6mm would be an even better match for the powder capacity.

Tell me I'm crazy if you want to, but this cartridge would shoot like a laser from an AR-15:
    http://www.6mmar.com/6mmAR_Turbo_40_Improved.php

If loaded to subsonic speeds, how well does the 6mm perform? Many of the 300 BLK subsonic rounds are 220 grain 30 caliber bullets, enabling it to still deliver a whollup at lower velocity.

Can you get significant performance like the 300 BLK out of a 10" barrel?

The 300 BLK is not popular because it is the "best" at anything, and did not get popular because it is the best long range round - it is popular because it is an extremely versatile round that excels in SBR length rifles with suppressors. A magazine filled with supersonic rounds being fired out of a 10" barrel is arguably more capable than 5.56 being fired from a 16" barrel - but a simple magazine change to subsonic yields a capable round without the attention.

If you compare a .338 to a 300 BLK, it is obvious which one would come out on top at 1,000 yards... but the 300 BLK, in my opinion, is still a more versatile round for the AR15 platform.

SAAMI spec means alot, too.

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If loaded to subsonic speeds, how well does the 6mm perform? Many of the 300 BLK subsonic rounds are 220 grain 30 caliber bullets, enabling it to still deliver a whollup at lower velocity.

Can you get significant performance like the 300 BLK out of a 10" barrel?

The 300 BLK is not popular because it is the "best" at anything, and did not get popular because it is the best long range round - it is popular because it is an extremely versatile round that excels in SBR length rifles with suppressors. A magazine filled with supersonic rounds being fired out of a 10" barrel is arguably more capable than 5.56 being fired from a 16" barrel - but a simple magazine change to subsonic yields a capable round without the attention.

If you compare a .338 to a 300 BLK, it is obvious which one would come out on top at 1,000 yards... but the 300 BLK, in my opinion, is still a more versatile round for the AR15 platform.

SAAMI spec means alot, too.

A barrel that shoots a 210 or 220 SMK is not going to be the proper twist rate for a 125 grain supersonic bullet, and a rifle zeroed for one is not going to shoot the other one without substantial adjustment. The powder capacity of the 300 BLK is also not well-suited for bullets at 210 and 220 grains, especially as range increases. The 300 BLK with heavy bullets is at best a sub gun with a little more power.

300 BLK basically reproduced what 7.62x39 already was--a cartridge with a bullet too big for its powder capacity.

I think it's a cool gimmick for subsonic ammo out of a suppressed SBR, and I wouldn't mind having one to play with. That said, my enjoyment of rifles is generally focused on longer range accuracy and performance, and I think the compromises made went in mostly the wrong direction.

That said, just like nearly any other non-magnum cartridge that uses a .30 caliber bullet, I always wonder if it wouldn't have been more successful if it'd used a 6, 6.5, or 7mm bullet, which I think offer better performance until powder capacity approaches something like 30-06 size.

Continuing to use the .30 caliber rather than these other three choices is primarily based on history and not performance.

But to more closely address your question, has anyone shot subsonic 6.5 Grendel?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    A barrel that shoots a 210 or 220 SMK is not going to be the proper twist rate for a 125 grain supersonic bullet, and a rifle zeroed for one is not going to shoot the other one without substantial adjustment. The powder capacity of the 300 BLK is also not well-suited for bullets at 210 and 220 grains, especially as range increases. The 300 BLK with heavy bullets is at best a sub gun with a little more power.

300 BLK basically reproduced what 7.62x39 already was--a cartridge with a bullet too big for its powder capacity.

I think it's a cool gimmick for subsonic ammo out of a suppressed SBR, and I wouldn't mind having one to play with. That said, my enjoyment of rifles is generally focused on longer range accuracy and performance, and I think the compromises made went in mostly the wrong direction.

That said, just like nearly any other non-magnum cartridge that uses a .30 caliber bullet, I always wonder if it wouldn't have been more successful if it'd used a 6, 6.5, or 7mm bullet, which I think offer better performance until powder capacity approaches something like 30-06 size.

Continuing to use the .30 caliber rather than these other three choices is primarily based on history and not performance.

But to more closely address your question, has anyone shot subsonic 6.5 Grendel?

It's not a gimmick that the .300 shoots subsonics so well; thats what it was designed to do. JD Jones initialy designed the .300 Whisper to replace a 9mm MP5 SD. More punch with the same or less noise than a s suppressed 9mm subgun. It's just a happy coincidence that you can also load it to 7.62x39 ballistics for longer range shooing out of an inherently more accurate platform than the AK. It wasn't designed to be a super long range caliber at all. It is a pretty versatile caliber that does several jobs fairly well. If you want a super accurate, super powerful long range caliber you should really be looking somewhere besides the AR-15 platform.

Top Bottom