• ...and so much more!
  • Ripshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Dallas/FT. Worth area
    Hello,
    As a resident of Texas with family in Marion County I joined INGunOwners to familiarize myself with the Indiana laws associated with a LTCH because Texas has a reciprocity agreement with Indiana.
    One question I have is do I need some kind of permit to carry in Indiana while visiting family even though I have a CHL(Concealed Handgun License) from Texas? I kind of think I don't but just want to be sure.
    Also what is the proper procedure during a traffic stop in Indiana as far as letting the officer know you have a CHL or LTCH ?
    Any other comments, experiences, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Here is a link to the Texas laws and FAQ's about CHL, traffic stops and other things in case someone is interested.
    TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing

I did a search on this subject but I could not find anything I could use so I do apologize if this has been discussed before now.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Your Texas CHL is valid here.

Indiana law does not require that you declare you're legally carrying when approached by law enforcement.

An excellent compilation of frequently asked questions can be found up above in the FAQ. ;)

Welcome to ingo.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Just come on up! You don't have to inform a cop on a traffic stop, I went to Texas awhile back and cc'd the whole time, you can do the same here! Try to time your visit with one of the planned INGO events, and enjoy!....oh yeah.......:welcome: to:ingo:

Ripshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Dallas/FT. Worth area
    Thank you for the welcome and the info.

Below is the law for Texas CHL holders and why I asked about Indiana.

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license
    holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's
    person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license
    holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license
    holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the
    department and the license holder's handgun license.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    to familiarize myself with the Indiana laws associated with a LTCH because Texas has a reciprocity agreement with Indiana.

You are welcome.

However, please remember the reason I had to get the reciprocity agreement was Texas did not recognize Indiana's license. Indiana has universal recognition of all states and all foreign countries.

Your Tejas license is valid in Indiana according to the terms thereof, e.g. you must carry concealed, you must carry with a revolver or self-loader as you qualified with, and you must wear pointy elf boots, a big hat, and yell out "yeeeeeehaw" at odd times.

Here is your typical Texan visiting Indiana law:

images

Also what is the proper procedure during a traffic stop in Indiana as far as letting the officer know you have a CHL or LTCH ?

You stay cool and stay quiet, much safer that way.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Follow your Texas terms, and you are alright. That includes concealment, even though Indiana license holders can carry open. No need to declare to an officer, but being from out of town I probably would.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Someone correct me if i am wrong..but doesn't In. law allow you to carry under the SAME rules you would in your home state? If Tx. doesn't allow open carry then you aren't allowed to open carry here?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but doesn't In. law allow you to carry under the SAME rules you would in your home state?

eat, very close. The controlling language is "according to the terms thereof" of the license.

A Texas requirement mandates concealment and a certain type of pistol so you have to do that while in Indiana.

The other Texas laws, e.g. the goofy "51%" law or carrying in a vehicle, are statutes, not terms of the Texas license so they do not apply in Indiana.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    RipShot, :welcome:
    Indiana isn't as bad as I thought it would be moving from FW. Been here 5 years now. Good folks. Good local beer (but if you bring me some Rahr, I will be your bestest friend).
    Despite the stories you hear on INGO about problems with cops, I have yet to have a bad encounter (and I OC about ½ the time)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    former Carrolton resident here, come on up and enjoy your visit.

Even though Marion Co isn't as "Texasy" as most of the counties that surround it.

Ripshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Dallas/FT. Worth area
    $mooth

Thanks for the welcome. My brother and family live in Indianapolis and I travel there once in a while. I'm glad you like it up there. I found the people to be very friendly also.

I'm trying to find a good link to read the laws on LTCH in Indy.
    We usually drive up there and cross through parts of Illinois. I also need to read the laws for Illinois as far as carrying a pistol in a vehicle while traveling or passing through.

You are right about the beer up there!. I plan to try and bring some Lone Star beer on my next trip and see if anyone likes it.

Ripshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Dallas/FT. Worth area
    Thank you Mr Hickman.

I am familiar with the Carrollton area.
    I've always enjoyed my visits to Indy especially the canal walk downtown and look forward to coming back.

Mr. Habib
    I will check out that link. Thanks.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ripshot,

:welcome: to :ingo:! The majority of the Indiana laws regarding use of force and firearms can be found in the IC, Title 35, Articles 41 and 47.

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 41 Table of Contents

Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents

Specific info on use of force can be found at IC 35-41-3-2

If you have any questions after reading, feel free to ask here. Most of us are not lawyers and unless you hire them, those who are are not YOUR lawyer. ;) Even so, we'll be happy to help however we can.

Blessings,
    Bill

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Also, as far as IL is concerned:

Here are te codes for IL concerning firearms:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilc...43&ChapterName=WILDLIFE&ActName=Wildlife+Code

720*ILCS*5/*Criminal Code of 1961.

Here is a link to a brochure put out by the IL state police:

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

The brochure put out by the IL state police doesn't follow EXACTLy along with state law or rulings by the IL courts on the requirements to have a gun off your property.

Generally you can have a gun in your vehicle that is unloaded (& a loaded mag isn't considered a loaded gun as it is in some states) & completely enclosed in a case. The case can be the center console or any zippered, latched, snapped, etc type of case. It doesn't have to be locked or inaccessible either as many think. You also don't need a FOID card as a non-resident.

You are also protected by the federal "interstate transportation of firearms" law (or what some people call the "peaceable journey" law) but those restrictions are more strict than just following IL law.

18 U.S.C. § 926A : US Code - Section 926A: Interstate transportation of firearms

Under that law your gun needs to be unloaded, locked in a case & inaccessible to the occupants of your vehicle.

Top Bottom