• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    On a related note, a relative is graduating from college and moving to the left coast for employment. He will fly there with minimal belongings and live in company supplied temporary housing until he finds an apartment and sets up his own place. He owns a small arsenal -- too many to take in checked luggage. What is the legal/best way to transport his guns to the left coast AFTER he has gotten settled? I suspect they may have to be shipped to an FFL? Correct? Any alternatives short of a cross-country trip?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    On a related note, a relative is graduating from college and moving to the left coast for employment. He will fly there with minimal belongings and live in company supplied temporary housing until he finds an apartment and sets up his own place. He owns a small arsenal -- too many to take in checked luggage. What is the legal/best way to transport his guns to the left coast AFTER he has gotten settled? I suspect they may have to be shipped to an FFL? Correct? Any alternatives short of a cross-country trip?

They are HIS guns. No transfer of ownership across state lines means he (or anyone) can ship them to his door.

Don't use USPS for handguns. UPS or Fedex.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

The state of residence matters a whole heck of a lot in this instance.

Federal law, you can indeed ship firearms to yourself - as long as you're the one who opens the package.

It wouldn't surprise me if CA laws are more strict on the self-shipping. Also, CA has state laws governing what kind of firearms they allow their subjects to have.

I think there are also some wonky laws in some of the other larger cities (Seattle, perhaps??) as well.

Have the guy get settled and then do DUE DILIGENCE on the new state and local rules. If he has to talk with half a dozen different FFLs as a starting point (much like LEO, they're not experts in the law. Everything said will need verified!), that's a good start.

If it IS CA he's moving to - have him look into CalGuns.net Or even another large 500lb gorilla website like GlockTalk.com or AR15.com in order to start learning about his new overlords.

-J-

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Was doing a search and came upon this thread about interstate travel with firearms, and i have a question.....with the recent passing of New Yorks Safe Act, which prohibits the possession of high capacity magazines, and "assault style weapons", does FOPA still hold true there? I read not too far back that a guy travelling from Texas to Maine was arrested for having weapons in his vehicle, after local LEO found him sleeping in his vehicle by a bank (dumb for doing that). I havent heard what the disposition of his case was, but as it pertains to me, i will be travelling home to Maine from Indiana in the latter part of March, and will be bringing a few firearms to shoot at my dads place, but would really prefer to not have New Yorks finest position their boots on the backside of my neck for having "high capacity magazines, and an assault weapon" in my vehicle.

My plan was to have the long guns locked in one case with bolts removed and placed in a second locked box with the magazines. Pistols would be locked in a third box, with barrels removed and placed in the locked magazine box, and the ammo locked in a third box.

Would I have any issues with this if I was stopped, or had a MVA while in NY, or should I do something else, like mail my mags to my parents house, and inform NYSP that i will be traversing through their state with said firearms.

I would love to completely by-pass NY all together, but geography has hindered this as I cannot reach Maine without going through that God Awful state.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Was doing a search and came upon this thread about interstate travel with firearms, and i have a question.....with the recent passing of New Yorks Safe Act, which prohibits the possession of high capacity magazines, and "assault style weapons", does FOPA still hold true there? I read not too far back that a guy travelling from Texas to Maine was arrested for having weapons in his vehicle, after local LEO found him sleeping in his vehicle by a bank (dumb for doing that). I havent heard what the disposition of his case was, but as it pertains to me, i will be travelling home to Maine from Indiana in the latter part of March, and will be bringing a few firearms to shoot at my dads place, but would really prefer to not have New Yorks finest position their boots on the backside of my neck for having "high capacity magazines, and an assault weapon" in my vehicle.

My plan was to have the long guns locked in one case with bolts removed and placed in a second locked box with the magazines. Pistols would be locked in a third box, with barrels removed and placed in the locked magazine box, and the ammo locked in a third box.

Would I have any issues with this if I was stopped, or had a MVA while in NY, or should I do something else, like mail my mags to my parents house, and inform NYSP that i will be traversing through their state with said firearms.

I would love to completely by-pass NY all together, but geography has hindered this as I cannot reach Maine without going through that God Awful state.

Repeat after me, "Unloaded, encased, inaccessible, and separated from ammo..."

Now are you asking whether or not communist governments in Nanny States like NY will actually OBEY the law? Why would they when sometimes we can barely get our local guys in Indiana to follow simple laws.

In today's society government is not expected to follow its own laws but you are not only required to and have absolutely no defense in ignorance of the thousands upon thousands of laws spread through all of the states which you will travel but are expected to go above and beyond the written laws to appease authority's own version of "common sense" at times.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I drive often to Colorado, and I always unload and place my Glock in the back for both IL and KS. I usually never stop in IL.

Side story… My dad had a friend that was a rather "opinionated" retired Army colonel that was stopped in IL for speeding. He had a loaded 911 under a newspaper in the front seat. He got mouthy with the LEO and his car got search. He ended up spending a few days in jail and told to get out of the state, and they also kept his 911. He probably was let go easy. But if you don’t do any of that, you’ll probably be fine. :)

Top Bottom