• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Ok INGO, here goes, I'm looking at 2 different firearms for truck gun/travel gun, one is the Shockwave in .410, because short shotgun. The other I'm looking at is the Ruger PCC, because it breaks down in half, and is compact, though it has to be assembled. I'm not planning on driving into a riot, or dangerous areas, but will be doing some traveling in the next few months. I like the Ruger, because it can use Grock mags, and can be carried in a small bag. I like the Shockwave, be cause it is a short .410 and can be carried in a smallish bag. The Shockwave has been tugging at my heart, but the Ruger jumped into the fray, when I realized my employee discount makes it comparable in price, and it shoots 9mm. What say you all?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Well 9mm will be alot cheaper to shoot than a .410 Shockwave. They're both cool and will do what you need. Id go for the ruger though. Alot easier to find ammo for it too if your traveling.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok INGO, here goes, I'm looking at 2 different firearms for truck gun/travel gun, one is the Shockwave in .410, because short shotgun. The other I'm looking at is the Ruger PCC, because it breaks down in half, and is compact, though it has to be assembled. I'm not planning on driving into a riot, or dangerous areas, but will be doing some traveling in the next few months. I like the Ruger, because it can use Grock mags, and can be carried in a small bag. I like the Shockwave, be cause it is a short .410 and can be carried in a smallish bag. The Shockwave has been tugging at my heart, but the Ruger jumped into the fray, when I realized my employee discount makes it comparable in price, and it shoots 9mm. What say you all?
    Between those choices I'd go with the Ruger PCC 9mm.

I also have one and they run great. I use the Glock magazine well.

20221112_140813.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    What’s the legal implications of using a truck gun in a defensive shooting?

I think if a person comes out blasting with what could be considered a offensive weapon might not be a good look.

Also remember other States are not like Indiana they will pick apart the incident. In order to find a method to send you to the big house.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I like the idea of a small light weapon for travel. If I had to do it today, to save money, I'd probably just take my CMMG Banshee with me. That thing is very small & light, and uses the same mags as my Glock 45. With a folding stock, or the upper taken off to lessen its already diminutive size it's even smaller.

However, when I originally got myself a "travel gun" I was worried about going to places that were unfriendly to AR style guns. Though I'm not planning to travel as much now, that could still be a concern. My solution for that was... lever gun.

A Chiappa 1892 Alaskan take down in .44 mag to be exact. The .44 magnum out of a carbine barrel is very potent, and being a take down, it's a real handy little thing. Lever guns may be slow to reload without a lot of training, but 10 rounds of .44 mag is pretty good for defensive use. A red dot & weapon mounted light makes for a very fast, capable weapon. Being a lever gun, it's not gonna be regulated by very many municipalities at all, and would not look too threatening in court.

This thing has sat leaning up against the wall next to the bed in many a hotel room ready to answer the call.

3 on log.JPG

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    We will be traveling in an SUV, this one doesn't have a cover over the cargo area, a suitcase, or computer bag looks less likely to hold a gun, I traveled with a full size rifle once, I was concerned about peeking eyes, plus going into a hotel with a rifle case reminds people of the Vegas shooting. The reason I'm focusing on these guns, is cost, and what Academy has. Deadeye, I like the belt fed semi auto! If I were to ever win the lottery, there would be signs....
    1726586925543.png

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I feel like a truck gun is there for immediacy. I wouldn't want to assemble my self defense during a need for immediacy. Shockwave.
    Yeah. That lever gun I posted before is more of a "travel" gun than a "truck" gun.
    I could always leave it together, as it's a small compact carbine, but I got it mainly because of it being a take down model. It has it's own little bag, but it can just as easily fit into a small pack or suitcase.
    Then again... immediacy is the carry gun.

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Yeah. That lever gun I posted before is more of a "travel" gun than a "truck" gun.
    I could always leave it together, as it's a small compact carbine, but I got it mainly because of it being a take down model. It has it's own little bag, but it can just as easily fit into a small pack or suitcase.
    Then again... immediacy is the carry gun.

View attachment 380817

View attachment 380818
    That style level was made originally for bush pilots. Size and weight was of concern and bush pilots normally don't have to deal with many thugs in the bush. First you land the plane and if you survive then you have a guide gun to help you get away from the bears.

Now the short barreled lever non takedown can go as short as 38 inches long and hold 8 rounds of pistol caliber and one in the hole 357/44/45 ammo. 16 inch barrel in 30/30 35 rem 44-70 should be about 4 or three rounds and one in the hole. Not shabby if you get a chance to top off.

SmokingTrigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2023
    Hancock County
    For immediate use. I just rely on my pistol. Shorter the barrel easier to maneuver in the vehicle should you need it. Longer barrel odds of getting caught on something/not getting it up when you need it.

If it gets to the point my EDC pistol will not be good enough. Just give me an AR. Which I'll travel with a 10.5 inch barrel 5.56 with a law folding stock.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The turtle got all lever happy and took thread to the other side of track. (What the turtle does see squirrels chase squirrels)

Ruger over shockwave. I have always liked the Ruger autos (10/22 owner) and the shockwave is not all that. Barrel to short 410 defense loads to expensive no pistol grip with no single point sling to make aiming better. With the ruger if you have to say let someone who has a limited amount of time shooting I bet they might have some experience with a 10/22.

I used to have a mossburg cruiser in 410. And it spent tons of time in the tractor cab truck cab and canoe. It was pistol grip but the single point sling made it ok to shoot aimed. Just had to get used to it. That one put lots of game down. Why because it was available. I traded it to a farmer friend for some work he did for me. I think he still carries II in the combine each fall.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Z06
    Top Bottom