• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Michigan has honored IN LTCH even before they had a carry license for their own residents. Years ago I called state police headquarters in Lansing just to verify that it was true and yes, it is true.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So are you saying you don't have to inform if its in the truck. If you read the to quiots that were in my post one says you have to inform if its in the vehicle not on you.

Well, I'll put the onus on SkullDaddy to back up his claim of "vehicle wide".

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm just quoting the law here- I'm no Michigan lawyer.

MCLS § 28.422

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in this state without first having obtained a license for the pistol as prescribed in this section....

...(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:
    (a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
    (b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
    (c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
    (d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
    (e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.
    (9) An individual who is a nonresident of this state shall present the license described in subsection (8)(a) upon the demand of a police officer. An individual who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

MCLS § 28.425f

...(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol... and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol... concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
    (4) An individual who violates subsection (1) or (2) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $100.00.
    (5) An individual who violates subsection (3) is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined as follows:
    (a) For a first offense, by a fine of not more than $500.00 or by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being suspended for 6 months, or both.
    (b) For a subsequent offense within 3 years of a prior offense, by a fine of not more than $1,000.00 and by the individual's license to carry a concealed pistol being revoked.
    (6) If an individual is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this section, the court shall notify the department of state police and the concealed weapon licensing board that issued the license of that determination.

If it were me, I would inform even if it was locked in the trunk, just to be safe. I'm not saying one way or another as to whether that is the law, but the statute raises enough questions in my mind, that I would err on the side of caution, personally.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure where the confusion is. The Michigan statute clearly says that if you are licensed in your home state (in this case IN) that you are ok.

The confuse lies with the "must inform" clause.

Some argue that, "concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle" includes a pistol lucked in the trunk and others say it doesn't. I'd argue that it includes holster, center console, under seat, glove box or anywhere that it's accessible.

If it's in the holster on your passengers waist then it's their gun, not yours so need to inform, right? But, it's concealed in your vehicle....

:dunno:

What's the worse that can happen? A $500 fine.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    The confuse lies with the "must inform" clause.

It's very simple. If you are carrying (CCing) under authority of your license, you must inform. If you are simply transporting your encased firearm, even if it's in the cab of your pickup, you do not.

If it's in the holster on your passengers waist then it's their gun, not yours so need to inform, right?

No need for the driver to inform, but the passenger who is wearing the gun must inform. All people in the car are considered "stopped" by the police. It has nothing to do with the driver. The driver might not even know a passenger is carrying.

Top Bottom