• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen
    With Michigan not accepting our Indiana carry license how can I legally carry in Michigan.

My thoughts are, can I appy for Michigan license even though I am an Indiana resident. Or, if I cannot do that can I get the Utah license and carry in Michigan?

My sister and brother in law moved just over the border and I really don't want that federal "spanking" for just driving over to their place!

4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen
    Last time I checked (around Christmas) they did not honor Indiana. I wonder if it changed Jan 1st.

I should have checked before I asked! Thank you

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Michigan has honored our LTCH for at least 16 years. (That's how long I have had mine.)
    Just wondered where you got your info when you Checked in December?

Also Michigan is an "INFORM" state. So if you have any official business with LE, (getting pulled over) you must inform the officer you are carrying.

TheBigTim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The confusion might be that Michigan doesn’t recognize an out of state license if you are a Michigan resident. For example if you live in Michigan and have an Indiana LTCH it will not be recognized in Michigan. It’s odd but a way to insure Michigan residents go through their process.

Carry on!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I've owned property in Michigan for 8 yrs. and they do honor indiana's LTCH. Only difference is that if LEO pulls you over you must tell them you have a firearm in the vehicle .

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    The confusion might be that Michigan doesn’t recognize an out of state license if you are a Michigan resident. For example if you live in Michigan and have an Indiana LTCH it will not be recognized in Michigan. It’s odd but a way to insure Michigan residents go through their process.

Carry on!

Yup, and it also makes thier residents pay a hefty price for thier right to conceal carry, funny thing about Michigan is that if you don't have a conceal carry permit you can carry OC, go figure?

4evercoltsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Goshen

Carry on!

This is probably what I did when I checked!:ugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...funny thing about Michigan is that if you don't have a conceal carry permit you can carry OC, go figure?

Actually, most states do not require any permit to OC.

Indiana is among the minority of "funny" states which maintain such an infringement on even unconcealed handgun carry.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I spent the first 21 years of my life in Michigan, the last 21 in Indiana. My parents and most of my family lives in Michigan, so I am there frequently- I carry with my Indiana LTCH all the time.

...and yes, that things about not recognizing Indiana LTCH for Michigan residents may be due to the facts that in Michigan, it seems not as simple to get a Permit (or whatever they call it) as it is ti get a LTCH in Indiana, and Indiana allows non-residents with "a regular place of business or employment in Indiana" to get a LTCH here.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Carry on!

I checked handgunlaw.us; MI does not honor non-resident permits if the holder resides in a different state. For example, they would not honor a UT permit for an IN resident. They would require the IN resident to have an IN license in order to carry in MI.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I used to live in MI and they accepted my LTCH until I switched my residency there and that was back in 2001. I traveled and visited my 1st ex wife's family there before that with no problems. Someone needs to do MORE RESEARCH... ;-)

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Michigan has honored our LTCH for at least 16 years. (That's how long I have had mine.)
    Just wondered where you got your info when you Checked in December?

Also Michigan is an "INFORM" state. So if you have any official business with LE, (getting pulled over) you must inform the officer you are carrying.

I've owned property in Michigan for 8 yrs. and they do honor indiana's LTCH. Only difference is that if LEO pulls you over you must tell them you have a firearm in the vehicle .

Everything that I have read and heard that you only have to inform the LEO if you are carrying your firearm. If its lockup in the truck you don't have to inform. So hows right or wrong or are they both right?

Top Bottom