• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nephesh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    I am waiting for my ILHP (seems like forever). Is it legal for me to take my gun to my Father-in-Laws property to shoot targets?

nephesh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    That kinda sucks, You can own guns but if you ever had to use them to defend your family before you had a chance to practice with them, oh well.. good luck:)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That kinda sucks, You can own guns but if you ever had to use them to defend your family before you had a chance to practice with them, oh well.. good luck:)

This is one of several laws in Indiana that needs changed. Most are very good as far as being gun rights-friendly, however other than transport to or from the place of purchase from or to your home or fixed place of business, transport between your home and fixed place of business, and transport between a place of repair and your home or fixed place of business, no, you cannot lawfully transport a handgun without a LTCH.

Of course, if the range at which you shoot offers gunsmithing, it would qualify-there is nothing in statute which requires you to have the gun repaired while there. Similarly, transport to a place of sale does not require that a sale happen, nor that there be only one sale (I think that you could, for example, transport it, sell it to your father in law, who would then sell it back to you, qualifying you to transport it back home.)

Note that all usual disclaimers apply: IANAL, IDPOOTV, IDSIAHIELN, and TINLA.

All of the above said, if you are transporting while waiting for your LTCH in the above manners, ensure that the firearm is unloaded and "in a secure wrapper".

Oh, and "Get the license."

Blessings,
    Bill

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The OP asks if it is legal to take his "gun" to his father-in-law's to shoot. If you are talking about a handgun and you do not have your LTCH then the answer is no as stated above. If you are taking a long gun, rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, etc. then you are perfectly legal. My other question is if you are in Indiana. You mention a ILHP which is unfamiliar.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Have any buddies that have their LTCH who'd like a day of shooting as well? Can your FIL come and get you? (provided he has his LTCH?)

-J-

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Actually if the india statute doesnt not specifically restrict it. then it is covered by the federal law.

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible."

"Indiana and Michigan--- Both states require a carrying permit to transport a handgun in a vehicle. Nonresidents are ineligible for permits; however, both states recognize carrying permits from other states. Exempt from the Michigan permit requirements are hunters with valid Michigan hunting licenses, or individuals with proof of membership in an organization with handgun shooting range facilities in the state, provided the handguns are unloaded and in a container and locked in the trunk or storage area of the vehicle. Both Indiana and Michigan exempt transportation of unloaded handguns during a change of residence. In Michigan, the handgun must be in a container. In Indiana it must be in the trunk or storage area of the car."

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Looks like it doesnt if your a member of a shooting club. Unless that means they also exempt the club rules of michigan. That is a very poorly worded sentence.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Actually if the india statute doesnt not specifically restrict it. then it is covered by the federal law.

"Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearms if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible."

"Indiana and Michigan--- Both states require a carrying permit to transport a handgun in a vehicle. Nonresidents are ineligible for permits; however, both states recognize carrying permits from other states. Exempt from the Michigan permit requirements are hunters with valid Michigan hunting licenses, or individuals with proof of membership in an organization with handgun shooting range facilities in the state, provided the handguns are unloaded and in a container and locked in the trunk or storage area of the vehicle. Both Indiana and Michigan exempt transportation of unloaded handguns during a change of residence. In Michigan, the handgun must be in a container. In Indiana it must be in the trunk or storage area of the car."

Looks like it doesnt if your a member of a shooting club. Unless that means they also exempt the club rules of michigan. That is a very poorly worded sentence.

Please read that again. Last I checked, we were talking about ranges in Indiana, not Michigan.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This has been discussed ad nauseum in dozens of other threads right here on INGO, so I'm not going to get into it again. It's been discussed so often, in fact, that it's the lengthiest entry in our FAQ (and even appears in two different sections). It's easy enough for you to find the LENGTHY discussions with the search function. I'm just going to post the statute again and then I'm done.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155; P.L.118-2007, SEC.35.

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Your right I just read the entire state law. Indiana Code 35-47-2

I am not sure why the federal page put both indiana and michigan together, no other state is listed combined but those two :(

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    no, you cannot lawfully transport a handgun without a LTCH.

True.

Of course, if the range at which you shoot offers gunsmithing, it would qualify-there is nothing in statute which requires you to have the gun repaired while there.

True.

Similarly, transport to a place of sale does not require that a sale happen, nor that there be only one sale (I think that you could, for example, transport it, sell it to your father in law, who would then sell it back to you, qualifying you to transport it back home.)

Two out of three ain't bad. :)

The law doesn't make the exception for transportation to a place of sale only from a place of sale to home or business...at least that's how I read it.

Oh, and "Get the license."

True again.

(OK, 3 out of 4)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

I think you are misunderstanding the term "notwithstanding".

As used here it means that it overrides any state laws to the contrary to allow you to carry your gun but only in interstate travel.

If you are an IN resident without a LTCH & traveling anywhere in the state, the federal law couldn't override state law.

If, however, you are a IN resident with a LTCH & you want to travel to another state that recognizes you permit, say Missouri, & you have to carry your gun through a state that doesn't, like Illinois, then the federal law overrides Illinois prohibition on carrying a firearm as long as the requirements of the federal law are met (i.e. locked up & unloaded, etc.)

It would not allow you to carry your gun to the state of Illinois if that is your destination.

The other thing you're misunderstanding is that if state (or federal for that matter) law doesn't specifically restrict it (anything) then by default it is legal & it wouldn't need the federal law to "cover" it.

Everything is legal until a law says its not. Laws are only written to make something illegal, not to make it legal. Thats the reason that OC in IN is legal because IN law doesn't say anything about CC or OC.

Top Bottom