• In US dollars:

• Total voters

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I keep reading how defense training (not just mine) is too expensive. So, how much should a one day class from a competent instructor cost?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Training is like a life insurance policy.....it IS life insurance. The more you have the better off you are. You have to know what your are doing when the SHTF. Get as much training as you can afford. The practice, practice and practice some more.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    There's too many variables to answer that question.

Range fees - night shoots - rifle ammo vs pistol ammo vs shotgun ammo - "safety course" vs NRA course vs "tactical".

But I will say this, you can expect to pay $50 to $100 per hour to get your car fixed. Heck, piano lessons are $20 an hour. Few people can actually make a living training - the overhead is HUGE. I think $200 per day for a standard class is not too much to ask. One-on-one should be $50-per-hour.

Few will pay it, but that's less than what it's worth.

On the other hand, many who will complain about price or never take a class at all will have no problem spending 100's of dollars on anything labeled "zombie", or whatever new gadget they can get to bolt to the rail of their AR.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You probably paid $300 to take Drivers Ed when you were a teenager. No one forced you to take it (maybe you didn't) Anyone (as long as they are tall enough to reach the pedals) can drive a car. An educated and trained driver drives within the lines, maintains smooth operation of the vehicle, understands traffic patterns, and possesses a working knowledge of traffic laws. A very well trained driver can operate a big rig, race car, or stunt car. The same is true for training with your weapon. An untrained person can probably point and shoot his firearm. He does not have knowledge on how to use his sights or retain his weapon in a close-quarters situation. Needless to say he may not be able to hit his target. Conversely, the person who has gone the extra mile (and spent the extra dime) in his training, will be more likely to use his weapon safely, accurately, and legally. He's more likely to see another day.

I've been through a lot of expensive training, most of which was not paid for out of my pocket. Even though I cannot afford much training right now, I think it is a valuable investment. You get what you pay for.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    On the other hand, many who will complain about price or never take a class at all will have no problem spending 100's of dollars on anything labeled "zombie", or whatever new gadget they can get to bolt to the rail of their AR.

Best
    Point
    Ever

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I've been through a lot of expensive training, most of which was not paid for out of my pocket. Even though I cannot afford much training right now, I think it is a valuable investment. You get what you pay for.

I agree! I too see it as an investment.

NRA Basic Pistol

I'm taking this class next week. It's $140 for an 8 hour course with 2 hours of range time. For someone like me brand new to shooting this class will be well worth the money. Wont be the last class I take, either. It was kind of a given, for me, when I decided to get a gun that I'd have to invest in some training.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    $200-250 a day is doable for me. Make that into a mandatory or expected two day class, I'll start weighing it out a lot more intently. I'd MUCH rather do a nearby one day class.

You guys got it right. Those that even discuss free classes will never come off of their own money for a class. They will most likely find an excuse to not show up even if you did do it for free. :twocents:

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Even @ $200 USD a class, that's 2-3+ opportunities to invest in yourself and train in a professional/educational environment for every new wonder pistol purchased............

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I agree on the point that good training is expensive, as it should be for the quality that you receive for said trying. That said, just about all training that I have done within the last few years has been free (search and rescue, emergency management, disaster response, etc.) or with minimal cost (lunch or gas) out of my pocket. The shooting courses that I would love to take are outside of my price range just to afford the required ammo count, let alone the course fee.

My fingers hurt from trying to rub to pennies together to make a nickel - and that's with paying bills off, keeping food on the table, kids in school and two jobs with no benefits. Truth be told, I'm kind of jealous of guys who can bank the money to attend.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    It isn't money, look at all of the new guns purchased here all the time.

It is safer for an ego to have a gun safe full of guns and assume you can use them.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I agree! I too see it as an investment.

NRA Basic Pistol

I'm taking this class next week. It's $140 for an 8 hour course with 2 hours of range time. For someone like me brand new to shooting this class will be well worth the money. Wont be the last class I take, either. It was kind of a given, for me, when I decided to get a gun that I'd have to invest in some training.

I want to join Marion County Fish and Game, and you now have to take a class before you can become a member. I know previous training that I have would suffice, but I want to take the NRA Basic Pistol class (or the Utah Non-Resident class). Gettin back to the basics is always a good idea. There are so many opportunities and venues for training in Indy. I might as well take advantage!

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I'm currently selling some firearms so I can put more funds toward training. I've taken a few intro classes with different companies and feel the quality of instructor is highly important when deciding how much money to throw at them. I'm almost through all the Mindset Laboratory classes.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Up here in Fort Wayne, my wife and I took Basic Pistol ($115) with Bob Aldridge BEFORE we got our first gun and I recently completed his Advanced Personal Protection course ($110) and I think both were an extraordinary value. For the cost of a few cases of ammo I learned quite a bit and also had quite a lot fun, it's had a very positive effect on my personal practice time. I would still feel like I got a good value (especially on the Advanced Protection) even at a good increase from what I paid. Frankly I couldn't believe it was that inexpensive.

I'm definitely not a guy who's rolling in it either, I'm working as a part time IT contractor while going to school again (and my wife doesn't work), so if I could come up with it and be happy with what I got I think most people could too. Shooting certainly isn't the least expensive activity, so paying a small percentage of the overall cost on learning how to defend yourself as effectively as possible is just plain stupid not to do.

Obviously it's going to depend a lot on what's being taught and course length, but I would be pretty comfortable paying around $200 for a group one day class and upwards of $450+ for one on one.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Training is like a life insurance policy.....it IS life insurance. The more you have the better off you are. You have to know what your are doing when the SHTF. Get as much training as you can afford. The practice, practice and practice some more.

^^^ This.

There's one in the Evansville/Newburgh area that's very good. Shoot me a PM if you'd like his contact info.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Shay;

as stated above, the question as you posed it leaves to much open as to what the "product" is.

For example a full day class like yours where the ammo and firearm are provided I would expect to cost more then a full day class where I have to provide the gun and the ammo. Another factor would be student to instructor ratio. The closer it is to one on one instruction the more I would expect it to cost.

In conclusion: I think your classes are more than reasonably priced, if not a little low, considering that you have built a complete village to train in.

Individual instruction should be 25 to 50 dollars an hour plus expenses, IE range fees, targets, etc.

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    ... The shooting courses that I would love to take are outside of my price range just to afford the required ammo count, let alone the course fee...Truth be told, I'm kind of jealous of guys who can bank the money to attend.

This is how I feel. Between the house payments and car payments and utilities and medical bills and kids expenses and child support and student loans and and and (family of four on one income) - the money is just not there.

I don't disagree with the price of courses. I understand that quality training from a good instructor is going to cost money. I just wish that there were a few less expensive options. Half day courses, or even two hour single subject offerings. I can scrape up $50-60 a lot more easily then $150.

(and that doesn't cover the cost of ammo! depending on caliber, that can get really pricey really quickly for those of us on tight budgets :faint:)

Top Bottom