• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Guns approximately $2500 (I sold about half my collection in the last year to fund more training)

Gear approximately $1000 (I'm the guy that gets targets out out of the trash at the USPSA state match to practice with)

Training classes approximately $1250

Training books and videos approximately $1000

Training classes signed up for in 2013 $1500

I might be messing up the curve.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm just below 50:50 on guns/gear to training ratio. Ammo is a little iffy. How much of that do you consider gear and how much do you consider training? When I go to the range I use the majority of it to do drills I learned in classes. As small as my gun collection is that would sway my ratio from below to above 50:50 depending on the accounting of the ammo stash. Before selling off my WW2 guns I had a total poser/"internet expert" ratio going there.

Good thread.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Reloading equipment: 1500
    Guns 3900
    Training 2500

These numbers are approximate and I left out ammo entirely. I just don't want to add that up.

All of this was purchased in the last few years as I started to get a little more serious about things.I still don't have a proper rifle and that is on the list.
    I think the equipment purchases will go down significantly once I settle in on what I want and have a back up for it. When that happens the training expenditures will increase.
    I don't think that training costs too much and I make every effort to get to local training that fits into my schedule.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I'm just below 50:50 on guns/gear to training ratio. Ammo is a little iffy. How much of that do you consider gear and how much do you consider training? When I go to the range I use the majority of it to do drills I learned in classes. As small as my gun collection is that would sway my ratio from below to above 50:50 depending on the accounting of the ammo stash. Before selling off my WW2 guns I had a total poser/"internet expert" ratio going there.

Good thread.

Ugh... that had to hurt. I don't know if I could easily sell off that sort of memorabilia. Glad you're not a poser anymore, but I think you should keep the "Internet expert" title! ;) I wouldn't want INGO to run short of those! :D :ingo:

All joking aside, it looks like there are some well trained and well armed individuals on here! :rockwoot: I look forward to getting more training in the future. In fact, I am thinking of getting out of another hobby of mine to buy some reloading supplies so i can dedicate more time/money to shooting. Anyone wanna buy a RC airplane and some parts?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    After selling a few, and giving away a couple more - I think I am down to around $11,000-ish in firearms (including an optic, not counting family heirlooms). That sounds like quite a few, but that only comes to 9 firearms.

I have only spent $1,150-ish on classes, not counting the free classes I have lucked into attending - having a friend that teaches firearm instruction. This is also not counting 11 years of martial arts instruction, which as silly as it sounds - is probably more applicable in an everyday encounter than the rifle courses I have attended, as I usually only have a handgun on me - and have to be able to retain and deploy it.

Pretty HUGE difference still in gear vs firearm courses.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I'm guessing LEO?

Yes.

That was mostly meant as a joke as I buy a lot of my gear. The firearms I use are issued, though, and I don't even own my own handgun.

I'd pay for training if I didn't get it for free...and the training I am lucky to get is very good (at least over the last three years or so). There are quite a few classes I see posted here that are interesting to me, but I seem to just never get around to aking any of them (same with Appleseed, which I'd still like to do).

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Yes.

That was mostly meant as a joke as I buy a lot of my gear. The firearms I use are issued, though, and I don't even own my own handgun.

I'd pay for training if I didn't get it for free...and the training I am lucky to get is very good (at least over the last three years or so). There are quite a few classes I see posted here that are interesting to me, but I seem to just never get around to aking any of them (same with Appleseed, which I'd still like to do).

Thanks for responding, I was curious! I figured it was said partially in jest, but also thought there was much truth to it.

Also, thanks for you're services as a LEO!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I'll fess up-
    Prob have around 3000-3500 in guns and gear, but 0 training outside regular range time. I am scheduled to do an NRA basic handgun training next weekend, so it's a step in the right direction...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Unless you count ammo costs, all of my training has been free. The various levels of government have given me most of my training, and my private lessons have been comped or bartered for. I got some outstanding training from an expert knife fighter for the use of a couple acres of my land for grazing his sheep one year. Probably saved me money, I'd have just had to mow it and they don't bother the fruit trees.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Okay, I'll play. These are best estimates from what I can remember.

Firearms:
    I assume this is firearms only. I do not reload. I am leaving out some miscelaneous gear like range bag, a few holsters, cleaning equip, ammo cans, etc. Also not counting ammo.

Glock 19 (x3) 1350
    AA .22 Conversion 250
    AR 15 900
    Cheap AK 350
    AR Mags 300
    Glock Mags 400
    Rem 870 175

Total Firearms $3725

Firearms Training:
    This is publicly available, private sector firearms training. Tuition only. Does not include travel, lodging, ammunition, or other gear.

297 Hours $6075

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Okay, I'll play. These are best estimates from what I can remember.

Firearms:
    I assume this is firearms only. I do not reload. I am leaving out some miscelaneous gear like range bag, a few holsters, cleaning equip, ammo cans, etc. Also not counting ammo.

Glock 19 (x3) 1350
    AA .22 Conversion 250
    AR 15 900
    Cheap AK 350
    AR Mags 300
    Glock Mags 400
    Rem 870 175

Total Firearms $3725

Firearms Training:
    This is publicly available, private sector firearms training. Tuition only. Does not include travel, lodging, ammunition, or other gear.

297 Hours $6075

Well, I can be a witness for about what? 10 hours of that training.:D Good looking post.:yesway:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have taken one class this year ($95). I also do monthly training with the run and gun project. I have enough firearms, and gear as I see to be sufficient.

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Have about $10,000 in firearms and taken $2600 in training. Working on selling the Garand and K31 and others, about $4000 worth. Don't even look at them anymore. Lost my interest in just having them to have them.

If I don't come back from SouthNarc's ECQC class this weekend with broken fingers, want to take Shay's Combatives class next weekend.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Have about $10,000 in firearms and taken $2600 in training. Working on selling the Garand and K31 and others, about $4000 worth. Don't even look at them anymore. Lost my interest in just having them to have them.

If I don't come back from SouthNarc's ECQC class this weekend with broken fingers, want to take Shay's Combatives class next weekend.

Details? I must have missed this one too... :(.

As for my gear/training ratio is way off balance, but I'm trying pretty hard to get more training! I was so sad that the Defensive Pistol this past weekend was cancelled.

Now to see if the wife will let me goto the Mindset class on the 17th, I think we have a "family thing".

smccabe17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    Driving to WV for it. There was two people on my list to train with. South Narc and Paul Gomez. Life can be short. Didn't want to wait and hope he was coming closer next year.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom