• ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Inspired by bwframe in this thread;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/241187-training_is_too_expensive-8.html#post3459017

OK, here is a challenge to all who are complaining about the cost of training;
    Post up an inventory of all your firearms and related gear.

Pretty simple eh, just that. Let's do it.

I don't think this has to be limited by those who are complaining about cost of training, but more of cost invested in training vs gear.

Last edited:

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Hmmmm... I currently have 8 guns, 4 long and 4 handguns which I think comes to about $3,500! :wow: I don't think I've added that up before and didn't realize that I had that much money invested in firearms. I have taken some INGOers advice of trading some "hardware" for "software" and in lieu of buying Trijicon HD night sights for 2 of my M&P's, I've signed up for the Dec 1 Intro to FoF with Shay at Mindset Labs. The only other formal class that I have paid for was Guy's Gun Law class. Together those total $350, or 10% of the cost of my guns.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This thread could get interesting, assuming people will be honest.

In the past, I have sold guns and gear to be able to take classes.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was adding this up for insurance reason earlier this year. Guns, mags, reloading equipment I am over $24,000.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was adding this up for insurance reason earlier this year. Guns, mags, reloading equipment I am over $24,000.
    That's reasonable for an avid competition shooter AND instructor, IMO :dunno:

especially when you start talking about reloading to provide ammo for all those ventures

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hmmmm... I currently have 8 guns, 4 long and 4 handguns which I think comes to about $3,500!

I fall somewhere between these guys. My training $ spent roughly match my hardware investment.

Please note that I AM NOT complaining about the cost of training. I have a fair understanding of the costs involved for the instruction and student. I am certainly one who believes in training over tools. I have sold equipment to further my training needs.

I have also taken advantage of loaners provided by others. I didn't own a carbine when I took my first carbine class (I used the instructor's.)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    As to the money spent on training and gear...not counting the taxpayers money spent on me...TOO MUCH. Almost as much as I have spent on musical instruments and sound gear over the years. My insurance guy just laughs, until he realizes I'm serious...

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    So far it doesn't look like anyone who has complained that training is too expensive has been up for the "challenge." ;) I say that tongue in cheek of course.

Love him or hate him, I think this thread kinda goes hand in hand with the last Yeager video, "Types of Gun Owners." If one sees them self as a "martial artist," as Yeager puts it, they are more apt to getting trained. If they don't, they may not have the mindset to seek out training and will spend far more money on gear than training. So I guess you can gauge what kind of a gun owner you are by the amount you spend on training vs the amount you spend on gear. This of course leaves out the fact that many get training for free from Uncle Sam or in other ways. I think that there are also "training hobbyists" who spend a great deal of time and money on training because it is something they enjoy doing.

I would be curious to see how other INGOers spend their hard earned money. Gear or training? Of course you don't have to put a monetary value if you don't want, but what about putting it in a percentage?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I just looked at my spreadsheet. I will spend $1175 on training this year. Now this is a recent transition in my thinking.

I own probably $8000 worth of guns. I have been slowly reducing the number of guns that I own. I no longer keep safe queens. I will always keep those that were given to me as gifts from Mrs. VERT. I do keep a few extra guns to use while teaching NRA Basic courses.

I recently sold a gun to pay for a training class. Plan to take the class at the end of November.

I am really not interested in giving an inventory. Not that it is a secret, but no reason to list things. Basically I have a small but nice collection of handguns, a good carbine, couple shotguns, couple good 22s. My kids and Mrs. VERT also have a couple guns.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    This is a good question, and one that I'll have to think about. I have a number of guns, but I've paid little for most of them. I have two Nagants and a Turkish Mauser that I got for $100 each. I have one muzzleloader that I bought for $150, and two others that I got for a combined amount of $150. My CZ-75 is the most expensive piece that I have, and I got that for $400.

I am buying some more guns here soon. Sunday I'm picking up a Gen 4 G19 that a LGS is holding for me. I'm also looking at purchasing my first AR-15 before the end of the year. However, I did recently take Mindset Lab's Intro to FoF class, and in a week I'll be taking WETSU's wilderness survival class. Next year I'm planning on taking four training classes, but I will still be well ahead in the gear category with my upcoming purchases. I could sell some of the guns that I have in order to do training, however I already have training in my budget, and I'll be taking classes pretty much as soon as I have time.

One other thing that this thread has made me realize is that I need to do is figure out exactly how much money I have tied up in my guns so that I can have a list for insurance purposes. I'm thinking of doing a basic inventory of everything in my house, updating it twice a year, and keeping copies of that list with family.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My premise in the other thread, and apparently this one, is that the training price whiners typically don't have a money problem as much as a priorities problem.

It might be too tough of a job to convince them that learning how to use the tool is as important as the tool itself? Training money could be another gun or two?

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    My premise in the other thread, and apparently this one, is that the training price whiners typically don't have a money problem as much as a priorities problem.

It might be too tough of a job to convince them that learning how to use the tool is as important as the tool itself? Training money could be another gun or two?

EXACTLY !

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I will not bore you with any inventory list however. I easily have over $30,000 in gear alone. That is not Firearms, nor Training, nor Equipment. I probably have another $2,000 in Firearms.

I would hate to think how much you guys have paid for some of the Courses You have paid to send me to, By the way thanks for those opportunities!

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    I don't own as much as many of my associates. The important thing is that the more I train, the less I am interested in buying more 'toys'.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I would hate to think how much you guys have paid for some of the Courses You have paid to send me to, By the way thanks for those opportunities!

That is a grand gesture! It is a rare thing to get a thank you from any who have benefited from tax dollar funded training. :yesway:

BTW - As always, thank you for your service!

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I own fewer guns than I did 5 years ago. Several were sold to fund the startup of Mindset Laboratory. Looking back I have absolutely no regrets.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    About 20 grand on the conservative side in gear, ammo, and weapons....

Including my military training, from basic all the way to hours and hours in shoot houses, civilian training and the like. I would say at least double in training if paid for the same training by a civilian (this would include hand to hand level 2 combatives, multiple cold weather training, hot weather trading, NBC, wilderness survival, knife training, CQC &CQB shoot house training (lots of that), marksmanship training, pistol, rifle, carbine, shotgun, all machine gun, AT4, and a few others I'm forgetting off the top of my head) this was one benefit that I got from old Uncle Sam, lots-o-free-training.

Plus the @ $3,000 in civilian training I have paid for myself.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    A lot of posters on this thread, very little answers.;)

I own 3 guns at ~$2500

I have a few outlets where I get training for free, so amount actually spent on training is ~$1000

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom