• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    So im watching the tac pro classes on tv right now aka "concealed carry school."

Where in Indiana can I send a wife and mom to a school like I see on tv?

Something more than a one day crash course.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How about a daycamp with OC/CC fieldtrips to Walmart. lol

On a more serious note, I'd say Ken Campbell (Gunsite), ACT, TDI. Some places will actually do all-female classes.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    How about a daycamp with OC/CC fieldtrips to Walmart. lol

On a more serious note, I'd say Ken Campbell (Gunsite), ACT, TDI. Some places will actually do all-female classes.

Yep. I believe Gunsite may devote a full weekend. ACT will generally set up something on a private basis or if there is enough interest, they will do a whole class.

Are you looking for an all female course?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    So im watching the tac pro classes on tv right now aka "concealed carry school."

We at ACT offer a variety of classes geared toward self defense. We don't do it in 2-3 day classes, but offer different levels of classes from half day to full day courses. I recommend starting them with our IP 101 course which is a four course that gets drawstroke and the elements of shooting and marksmanship. Then the Defenseive pistol 101 and 201 courses. Which are one day stand alone courses.

We are hosting a meet and greet next Friday when we hope to answer questions for prospective students. The IP 101 and DP courses are in March.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Quite a few places actually. Besides the ones already mentioned, we do quite a few multi day classes as well as one day intro's. If you are looking for female only, John Farnams wife does a very good female only class. She brought this to Rochester last year, not sure yet if it is going to be back this year or not.

Suarez International also does a female only class with a lady teacher, however the closest she is going to be right now is Ohio.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ken Campbell does an Intro to Defensive pistol class. It's excellent. I took my wife a couple years ago, and I learned stuff too.
    What the tall guy said.

We in Indiana are very fortunate to have Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell, an associate professor of gunology at Gunsite. He puts on a fantastic O-level class over a weekend and invites traveling instructors including Louis Awerbuck who I recommend without hesitation.

This is Ken Campbell, a quality individual and a good man to have on our side.

Sheriff Ken Campbell | Gunsite Academy

Indianapolis Star article on Ken Campbell's intro class:

Students in pistol course set sights on self-defense

Last edited:

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    We at ACT offer a variety of classes geared toward self defense. We don't do it in 2-3 day classes, but offer different levels of classes from half day to full day courses. I recommend starting them with our IP 101 course which is a four course that gets drawstroke and the elements of shooting and marksmanship. Then the Defenseive pistol 101 and 201 courses. Which are one day stand alone courses.

We are hosting a meet and greet next Friday when we hope to answer questions for prospective students. The IP 101 and DP courses are in March.

I highly recommend the ACT Basic and Intermediate classes. Great atmosphere, value and instruction.

scosgrove

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Do you offer an all female course? My wife and daughter want some training but are a little self conscious.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Do you offer an all female course? My wife and daughter want some training but are a little self conscious.

ACT has offered all female courses in the past, but we have found that a mixed class has benefits. The ladies get a real boost in confidence when they OUT SHOOT THE MALES. There are several reasons for this phenomenon and it is a joy to watch.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

We could also arrange private or small group lessons. We've done the same for quite a few families with similar concerns. Feel free to contact any of us via email to discuss it, or come by our "Meet & Greet" this Friday (28JAN11) 18:00 at Union Jack in Speedway.

At some point, though, it would be good to transition to the regular classes. One of the key elements of learning this kind of stuff is being able to do it under externally applied stress. That stress can take many forms, but executing the drills in front of others is a big part of it.

If the interest is solely in learning about safety and casual plinking, that may be less important. If there is any interest at all in learning to use a firearm for defensive use, learning to execute the fundamentals under stress is absolutely essential.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

We've had very good experiences with moms and wives starting with our BP100 class, then returning for IP101 (or doing it the same day). I don't know if you'd call them "crash courses" or not, but we focus on the essentials of safety, marksmanship, and gun handling skills and in my opinion we do a good job.

Hopefully after that they'll want to continue with other classes (with us or someone else) and apply their skills to competition or self-defense or ideally both.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...or small group lessons.

Keep me in the loop on this please. The daughter is beginning to ask about self defense. We're doing mercop hand to hand stuff in the spring, but she's not ready for gun related FOF.

She knows she's coming to see Joe for the gun stuff.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Keep me in the loop on this please. The daughter is beginning to ask about self defense. We're doing mercop hand to hand stuff in the spring, but she's not ready for gun related FOF.

She knows she's coming to see Joe for the gun stuff.

I wanted to do the Mercop thing but the Manny Bragg course ran the same weekend.

I really need to start self defense classes soon.

Top Bottom