• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are any handgun courses held at indoor ranges?

I've been wanting to take some additional handgun / defensive training, but simply haven't made the time. Winter is usually more open for me (less travel, less outdoor chores, etc...). This may be a good season to increase my skill level in a few areas.

So, are there any training opportunities indoors within a reasonable drive of Indy? Should I start looking into non-handgun training instead (self defense, CPR, that kind of stuff), and wait on the firearms stuff until spring?

Thanks in advance.... I'm also going to start rooting through this forum and our Site Supporter stuff!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Sorry--I don't know of any indoor ranges with advanced handgun training venues. Doesn't mean there aren't any, however.

It is difficult to find an indoor range with advanced shooting for two big reasons:
    1. There are few indoor ranges.
    2. Then, it is difficult to find an indoor range that either accomodates or will allow shooting multiple targets, moving and shooting, reloading, or yelling and screaming.
    There is one in Fort Wayne, the Northeast Indiana Public Safety Academy, but, unfortunately, that is open only to LEOs and certain other first responders. It is a beautiful facility but, alas, only for cops!

We are working on making Hillside Shooting Sports, in Roanoke, more accomodating to shooting in cold weather, but, the rifle and pistol ranges are, still, outdoors.

Last edited:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Not sure what kind of "training" you are looking to get, but Class 3 sales in New Carlisle does IDPA type practical pistol shooting every Thursday night in their indoor range. I have gone several times, and have learned alot from the different scenarios. Shooting from cover, moving and shooting, assessing threats, and room clearing with flashlights are a few drills that we have done.

Rhino - you may want to contact Kent at Class 3. He may just be willing to let you use the range for a class. The worst that could happen is he says 'no'.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    So are there any respectable "training courses" indoor or out around the central Indiana area?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So are there any respectable "training courses" indoor or out around the central Indiana area?
    I've heard good things about ACT's training (see Rhino's sig line above), and hope to take some of their courses this year. They are out near Terre Haute. I'm sure there are others as well (still doing my own research).

I'll have to check out the range at Class 3 Sales. That's a bit of a drive for me, but why not? :dunno:

Applied Ballistics has an indoor range as well (Lafayette, IN). Their website lists classes, but nothing until summer (or was that from last summer?).

GUNFIGHTER01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    laporte
    I have done the pratical shoot at class 3 for about 2 years now and have learned alot about myself and my gun skills. i would recommend class 3 to anybody trying to gain more skill.

Rhino- if u were to come up to teach a class i would most deffinitly take the class.

Kent the owner has try'd to have someone host a class before but it fell thru.
    Kent and i are gonna be at the Indy 1500 this month look for our table

Top Bottom