• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I competed in an IDPA match last week and it was a great time. I notice that many competitors have mesh vests and I always wear a shirt to conceal, just like I would any other day. I'm not knocking them, but I always thought it best (for me) to train in what I would normally wear. Well, right before the match I had purchased some pants that would be suitable for work and everything else that I do. I decided to try them out and I discovered they could get me killed.

The Carhart pants have a side pocket where I figured I could drop a magazine in and retrieve it pretty quickly. However, what I discovered during the match is the pocket has an internal flap that covers my magazine after moving around a little bit. This made it impossible to retrieve the magazine and I had to holster my gun and use two hands to get my mag out. I am very glad that I discovered this during a match rather than a dangerous situation.

A826D853-30D6-4B2A-969F-19C64D930E00_zps4qapjxka.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I agree 110%. I typically use an overshirt, unbuttoned for my cover garment when I shoot IDPA. Thats what I tend to wear when I am CCing.

I do wear my mesh trap vest as an alternative on those hot summer days where its stiffling and uncomfortable, but not hot enough that the match director has ruled that its unsafe to wear cover.

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    This makes sense to me, better to learn the oddities of our everyday clothing at the range. I have also started training with my everyday carry holster more than I used to. In the past I would only bring my owb holsters for a quick draw, but seeing as I e been mostly iwb carrying for some time now, I decided to train only with my iwb holsters and like you with finding the obstructing flap in your cargo pocket, I too have learned a few good lessons about the way I carry iwb and difficulties of drawing and holstering from different positions.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good advice... I had a similar thing happen practicing my draw stroke while wearing one particular jacket with inside pockets. I ended up with with a couple of fingers inside that pocket while clearing it which could have gone badly in a self-defense situation. The moral of the story is to leave as little to chance as possible. Tip the odds in your favor as much as you can.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I wear a vest a lot because it keeps my core warm and I am somewhat cold sensitive. When someone at a class made mention of my tactical vest, I had to look it up :-)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This is how I shoot USPSA now... Exactly as I dress on a normal day. I have to shoot Limited division and score minor to do it, but that allows me to shoot my carry M&P9 from concealment in the AIWB position. I'm not winning any matches, but I wasn't winning any matches in Production with a DOH either. At least this way is realistic for me.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...

Most of the times in which I have had a potential defensive situation occurred when being suddenly awakened, so, that must mean that I need to practice/train in my undershorts.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Amazing what a match or a simple training class will teach a person about equipment. Sometimes I shoot with my regular and sometimes my gamer gear. Funny thing is my carry gear (guns) are not legal in the USPSA division that I shoot in because of competitive advantage. But it would be IDPA legal. Weird

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Let's see...

Most of the times in which I have had a potential defensive situation occurred when being suddenly awakened, so, that must mean that I need to practice/train in my undershorts.

Hmmm...hadn't considered this scenario. Rhino, how about putting together a low light naked scenario based class?

Top Bottom