Trailer shopping tips? 8-10ft utility with ramp and spare.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm looking at 2 different brands of FOLDING trailers. Red Trailer and Lifetime Trailer. Both are much better built than the cheaper folding trailers from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. These are not super heavy duty trailers, but they will haul a motorcycle, lawn tractor, golf cart, etc . . .

A regular trailer is cheaper, but I can slip one of these into the garage and keep it out of the weather.

LIFETIME = Lifetime 5 x 8 Fold-Up Utility Trailer (65008)
    10874_30010941330.jpg

RED TRAILERS = Folding Utility Trailers, Trailer Kits, Parts and Accessories - RedTrailers.com

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    I do agree with buying a little bigger than what you think you need. I myself am not a fan of dove tails because you lose a little deck use. my gate is expanded metal so i dont really notice any wind problems. A lift gate system is nice if you load/unload several times a day like I do when I go mowing Just remember, when you get one you wont believe how many buddy's will want to borrow it!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Definitely go for the biggest size you think you will need/want. But don't over think this. It's a utility trailer. We've our 6x12 since 2004. And it's still going strong despite the abuse we give it.

One thing to consider: storage. Will your HOA allow you to store one on-site?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The main goal with any trailer I pick up, unfortunately, beyond everything listed is that it fit in the garage. I'll likely store the mower on it just to save space. Where I live I can't have the trailer sitting outside unfortunately. That said - I measured and a 12x6 or 10x6 should fit in the garage with the door down.

I did look at a tubular aluminum trailer with a folding gate but I just wasn't quite sold on it. The way the gate folded down it left about a 1.5" edge at the top of the ramp that I could see causing clearance issues on loading/unloading. You could jack up the front pretty high to reduce the issue but it was still a bit more than I was comfortable with.

I'll have to look at RNRTrailers. That all aluminum one you have looks pretty nice.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If it will be garage kept I definitely would not worry about getting galvanized. My trailer is close to 20 years old, boards replaced once because previous owner kept it outside and I have repainted it once. Solid as ever.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Sent in a quote request to RNR.

Looking at the UTA series but I like the UTATP if I can get a folding ramp and a tubular frame a little above the side plating [to give me something to tie to if I need it].

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If it will be garage kept I definitely would not worry about getting galvanized. My trailer is close to 20 years old, boards replaced once because previous owner kept it outside and I have repainted it once. Solid as ever.
    Biggest issue with steel I've found is that when I go by dealers - half of the ones on the lot already have some rust on them... And I haven't even gotten it home yet!

This is, of course, the low-end budget utility trailers. The nicer higher-end ones don't have rust on them.

I'm thinking aluminum just for corrosion resistance and light weight at this point.

Top Bottom