• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Personally, I would always give the officer my LTCH with my DL. To me the possible minor inconvenience of having my firearm taken for officer safety trumps the possible ****e I would have to deal with if the officer saw my firearm on my hip through the window (another reason why being a lefty can be a drag).

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I was once of the mindset to politely inform. Too many stories of petty humilations in the interest of "officer safety" have made me change my mind to never inform except when required by law.

The officers who disarm and unload and in some cases disassemble can ponder how safe they are having convinced me to withhold information from them I might otherwise have provided. They can feel safer knowing there are armed people out there they'll never know about because their actions caused those people to exercise their right not to inform.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have been pulled over a total of 4 time in my life, 3 seat belt tickets, 1 for speeding

first time pulled over

me: hand officer DL
    office: takes goes back writes ticket comes back, and says
    "my computer says you have a handgun permit do you have any guns with you?"
    me: just my ak behind the seat
    him: next time you should tell the officer when you get pulled over you have a permit we just find out after we look up your licenes
    me ok
    end of stop

next 2 times

i gave me dl and ltch
    never been disarmed, number of responces from , what ya got, to one even said " dont show me yours i wont show you mine"

most recent stop i didnt say any thing about it and just handed my dl... came back with ticket away i went

moral of the story i always get the ticket no matter what i do or dont tell the officer :noway:

but what the first officer told has always kinda stuck, they will find out when they run you DL any way... just some thing to keep in mind when you are deciding you to procede :twocents:

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Just so everyone knows, after I post this I will burst into flames.

If I were stopped I would flip my interior lights on, turn the car off, turn the four ways on put my drivers side window down, and place my hands on the steering wheel until the LEO approaches. After contact is made the first thing I would say is I have a firearm in the vehicle and wait for instructions.

I'm the last one to want to cause trouble (LOL) so I hope by doing these things I can avoid being spread eagle on the wet pavement while this "misunderstanding" is resolved.

I have a short fuse and by being submissive in this instance it WILL hopefully prevent me from any additional trouble.

Evil Le Doug

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...they will find out when they run you DL any way...

Not most areas of Indiana.

A very few counties keep a local record for licenses issued from their department which will show up on a local check. That's it.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I would tell them because the only thing worse than a LEO pulling you over is a crabby Leo because he felt you should have told him.

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    Well, during the sixteen years I worked the road and enforced traffic laws, I appreciated common sense and common courtesy. I would venture a guess that 95% of officers that were informed in advance of the LTCH and the location of the weapon carried would utilize the information accordingly, and handle the situation appropriately and professionally.

Sometimes I get the feeling in reading some of these posts that some of you people "expect" the police to act or react poorly. Perhaps your attitude towards the officer reflects those expectation???

The bottom line (IMHO) is this - Most cops are not rectums. Most citizens are not rectums. 5% of cops are. 5% of citizens are. SO, don't be a rectum, don't act like a rectum, and you have a 95% chance of not being treated like a rectum next time you're stopped by the police. The other 5% - no way around it - there are rectum cops out there. They are very much in the minority, though.

Better yet - don't get stopped.

I figure, just as my rep was getting back into the green, this will probably cause me to go WAY into the red (again). Forgive me if I don't lose sleep over it..........

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I appreciated common sense and common courtesy.

If I suspected that any of my firearms might possibly pose a threat to an officer who pulled me over, I would give them the courtesy of that knowledge for their own safety. Common sense dictates that this is not the case and as such, irrelevant to the meeting.

...don't be a rectum

Rectum? Darn near killed 'em! :D

firecop9774

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Northern Hamilton County
    ATM - perhaps it is irrelevant, until you reach over into your glove box to retrieve your registration, exposing the once-concealed handgun in your waist band, and voila! You're now looking down the barrel of my .40 Glock, ordered to show me your hands, etc........... We are not issued X-ray vision or crystal balls to help us distinguish between law-abiding citizens with a valid LTCH, and thugs who would much prefer to cap our ass to prevent their 5th trip to prison.

You have that right to not tell us - I have the right to protect myself. With that, I'm going to bed. I have to get up tomorrow and catch more bad guys for an increasing unappreciative populace.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    ATM - perhaps it is irrelevant, until you reach over into your glove box to retrieve your registration, exposing the once-concealed handgun in your waist band, and voila! You're now looking down the barrel of my .40 Glock, ordered to show me your hands, etc........... We are not issued X-ray vision or crystal balls to help us distinguish between law-abiding citizens with a valid LTCH, and thugs who would much prefer to cap our ass to prevent their 5th trip to prison.

You have that right to not tell us - I have the right to protect myself. With that, I'm going to bed. I have to get up tomorrow and catch more bad guys for an increasing unappreciative populace.

There's no real need for that, you gave your opinion, he gave you his.

I for one would probably just hand over the permit and license at the same time.I am trying to get myself set on a path to LEO, and quite frankly have been scared of officers for years. It's finally turning around, but I was the guy who would be on 10th street and walk up to an officer's car (hands out a little from my body, hands open and palms down to show I'm not crazy), and just sit there and ask questions. They were always courteous, so I fell I have the responsibility to pass that along by informing them when I have something that could, though not by me, potentially hurt them.

Just my :twocents:......

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Wow. Not required to inform in this state, yet you get away with purposefully putting me at risk of negligent death if I don't choose "properly" to waive that right. :rolleyes:

I swear, if you "accidentally" shoot me in the spine while I'm retrieving the registration you just asked for, with my hands about as far away from my sidearm as humanly possible, I WILL neg rep you.

Sleep well.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    If the officer doesn't ask, I don't offer.

Exactly. That should be the main point of this thread. If they ask, tell them. If they do not, then don't worry about it. If your firearm is visible or will become visible if you reach for your glove box, then obviously you should give them your carry license. If the officer is never going to know that you have a firearm in the car (99% of us) because you are concealing correctly or your firearm is not in the glove box (center console/ under the seat) then as a law abiding citizen there is absolutely nothing to worry about. :twocents:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    As I read through these post, I think back to the MANY times I have been pulled over. I usually don't get tickets just a warning, veteran plates seem to help that. Anyway I have never told an officer I was carrying when I was and have never been asked. I have been asked if I was carrying when I wasn't, go figure. I think after reading all these post I probably still won't tell unless asked.

ShelbyCo.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Marietta
    Thanks for all the replies! I asked this question because I was curious and because I have heard the "horror stories." I have only had to deal with this situation once and was carrying long guns from huntimg trip so it was a no brainer...officer saw them as soon as he approached. Recently I shattered my right leg in a motorcycle accident and although I can drive and get around on crutches, getting in and out of the vehicle is a task and there is no way I could do it without using crutches. My point is I would inform the officer I was carrying but fear that if one of the "horror stories" was to happen I could not remove myself from the vehicle without using my hands. I know i am bringing up a situation that probably wont happen and if it did I am sure the officer will understand but I do not have a cast on my leg and with jeans on you cannot tell it is broken so I do worry about being cuffed or worse being pulled from the vehicle for "offficer safety.":twocents:

MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    ive done both. most of the time they have jus asked to see my permit and everything is fine but one time they flipped out and had me get out of the vehicle, took the gun, unloaded it, checked my LTCH, and then gave it back to me unloaded and told me not to load it until after i had pulled away

Top Bottom