• ...and so much more!
  • goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Some over zealous LEO's may see passive aggressive as confrontational. Wrong as they may be, it still may only serve to escalate the situation. It's a personal choice and you would be in the right to take either approach. You have to be the one to decide what is appropriate for you in that situation. Just something to consider I guess.

Oh, I agree, but only you can decide how you respond regardless of what Mr/Ms LEO says or does. Know your rights and be ready to defend them firmly with common courtesy and respect. By taking the high ground, you have refused to be dragged down to a level that is less than civil. When "push comes to shove" one would/could always have that higher ground to stand on.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    It would seem to me that by dodging his question in the first place you are inviting a pissing match. You are sort of daring the cop to try and show you "who's boss". Doesn't mean he's right but I think you'd be less likely to end up being "detained" if you simply answered his yes or no question with a yes or no answer. Of course, there are those that love to engage in that sort of thing so I guess it just depends on how much drama you want in your life.

I see where your coming from. I'll answer his questions, but that's about it. If he asks if I'm carrying and I am, then I'll say yes. If he asks for the weapon, I'll say no. If he asks me out of the vehicle, I'll ask why, then... See correction below.

Officer: If the officer orders you out of the vehicle, Get out and lock the doors behind you, and confiscates the firearm on his own, there is not a whole lot you can do about it. But NEVER willingly hand over your gun to anyone. Even when the officer says "I'm going to need you to hand over your firearm." Simply state that you would rather not do that but if he wanted to take it, you would not resist.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Uhhhh....no. Polite and respectful is not confrontational. Mr/Ms LEO more than likely has heard the above-mentioned response before. :twocents:

You and I both know that intentions matter not if the LEO has a burr up his ass or feels that any refusal to answer his questions dircectly and specifically is an attempt to hide something. Polite and respectful may not be confrontational, but it won't matter if LEO thinks it is. If it did, we wouldn't have stories on INGO like we do.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The officer deserves the benefit of the doubt that it was conversational and not investigative, but I'll still remain skeptical.

I would imagine that skepticism comes in handy for a whale biologist. You never know if the whale is yawning or swallowing you whole. It's probably not a chance you can take though. :)

Dad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Thanks for all the input. In some respects I know a lot of this all boils down to the LEO that pulls you over. My first reaction when he asked me the questions was "and that has what exactly to do with my window tint?" I wasn't carrying and didn't want him to rethink the warning vs ticket, so I just said no.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Can the LEO ask for your weapon and claim that is for officer safety?

He can ask for you to take your pants off and cluck like a chicken. He can ask you what color your last bowel movement was. He can ask you for pictures of your wife. I think you get the picture.

Just because he asks, does not mean you have to comply. Now, be aware that sometimes the "request" can sound like an order. Like "I'm going to need you to hand over your firearm, sir." That is a request, and you can refuse by saying "I think we would both be safer by not handling loaded firearms on the side of the road. I would like to keep it right where it is, but if you are intent on disarming me, I won't resist."

Dad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    The interesting thing about this is that I don't want to create a constitutional crisis out of a traffic stop. If I commit a traffic violation, give me a ticket and roll. Under the same circumstance if asked again, I think the real question is: "What does my handgun permit have to do with my window tint?"

It's unfortunate really that we have to discuss this. In law/court, federal law always takes precedent over state or local law. Not so for the rights guaranteed us by the Constitution.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Why is it, when stopped by the boys in blue, that your LTCH is seemingly always visible? I have mine stuffed as far back and under as possible, and it would appear that if the officer saw it as you were getting your DL out, you wanted him to see it. FAIL!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Why is it, when stopped by the boys in blue, that your LTCH is seemingly always visible? I have mine stuffed as far back and under as possible, and it would appear that if the officer saw it as you were getting your DL out, you wanted him to see it. FAIL!
    How about when the officer ran his Drivers License the fact he has a LTCH was right there on the screen? You do know that information is there now right?

Mine isn't even in the same wallet with my drivers license so as there is no chance at all it is seen. Yet I was asked the last time I was pulled over.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Then I would imagine that the next time I see a friend of mine who is a shift commander, I'll go sit in his Po Po car and tell him to run my DL and see what pops up.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    do that and come back and let us know what you've found out. ;)

Friend was out of town on Po Po work, so I text him my question along with my DL number. Just got a phone call from him and he was laughing all through the conversation. His screen gave him my name, address, and number of points if any and that's all. He was still laughing when I asked him if my LTCH showed up anywhere. I then ask him if the check he performed for me went through the State. "Through the State" was the answer. He also said that whoever believes that a LTCH shows up on the Po Po's screen doesn't know what he's talking about. He has over 20 years on the force, and does these all the time, and has never had a LTCH show up. Argue that among yourselves, but as for me, I'll take the word that came straight from the horses mouth. So if you still believe that bunk, then the Blue Boy that busted you must use a different computer network than the rest of the state.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Friend was out of town on Po Po work, so I text him my question along with my DL number. Just got a phone call from him and he was laughing all through the conversation. His screen gave him my name, address, and number of points if any and that's all. He was still laughing when I asked him if my LTCH showed up anywhere. I then ask him if the check he performed for me went through the State. "Through the State" was the answer. He also said that whoever believes that a LTCH shows up on the Po Po's screen doesn't know what he's talking about. He has over 20 years on the force, and does these all the time, and has never had a LTCH show up. Argue that among yourselves, but as for me, I'll take the word that came straight from the horses mouth. So if you still believe that bunk, then the Blue Boy that busted you must use a different computer network than the rest of the state.

I'm not sure what system your friend uses, but it should return with LTCH info. When I radio my dispatcher with 10-27 info they will tell me if they have a LTCH. Usually I'll get something along the lines of "John Doe, valid on an operator's, 2 points, holds a lifetime personal protection permit, signal 80." This change was implemented last October by the BMV, we had a copy of the fax posted on our office door advising of the new change. Apparently your friend uses a different system than we do.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    I'm not sure what system your friend uses, but it should return with LTCH info. When I radio my dispatcher with 10-27 info they will tell me if they have a LTCH. Usually I'll get something along the lines of "John Doe, valid on an operator's, 2 points, holds a lifetime personal protection permit, signal 80." This change was implemented last October by the BMV, we had a copy of the fax posted on our office door advising of the new change. Apparently your friend uses a different system than we do.

+1 for setting the record straight!

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

so this officer doesn't know what he's talking about? nice :rolleyes:

Top Bottom