Traffic stop, officer confiscated my firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I took someone out of their home on a warrant who was .33 and he walked himself to the cruiser telling me what he thought of my weight and also my mother. He sang to me most of the way to the hospital (I think it was Elvis he was singing). I considered it a victory that he did not pee in the car.

Well, I would have, except you cuffed my hands behind my back and I couldn't reach my zipper. By the way, it was Roy Orbison...and tell your mom I said hi, doughboy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have shown up and fought many traffic tickets before and won abut 80% of the time. I will not be intimidated out of exercising my rights.

Honestly?! Seriously?! I live on the west side and am now terrified, TERRIFIED at the prospect of you having ANY responsibility allowed to you by law. It is truely frightening that you will not own up to your RECKLESS behavior and indiscriminate endangerment of those around you and your family, period.

I read the entire thread and am shocked at your blase attitude towards drinking, underage operation of a vehicle on PUBLIC ROADWAYS (highway or not, doesn't matter) and firearms ownership.

You didn't ask for my opinion, I will give you that. However, You cannot air this foolishness to a public forum and not get burned by it.

I will say it: I was pulled over, very tired, had a few beers, by an Avon cop about 4 years ago, Saturday night, 3 AM. He let me call for a ride and I picked up my car at the spot I left it next day. I thanked my lucky stars that I was not arrested or detained or anything. There were a few times that I did drive impaired. I do not drink anymore (thankfully, 3 months sober!!!). But do I sit there and NOT take RESPONSIBILITY for my actions? NO! I took my licks, understand my actions were reckeless and wrong and LEARNED from it. The sheer fact that you are teaching your son to be reckeless and not care for other's liberties (such as a SAFE roadway, free from drunken or underage drivers) is sickening. :twocents:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    This is a rough audience of LEO's as I would expect. My son and I decided we would not try that again. He will get his learner permit at the first opportunity after the beginning of the year. With the exception of having a couple beers with a neighbor, I've not had anything to drink since that time, so I really don't consider alcohol to be one of my problems. As far as the charge/ticket/citation is concerned, that is a matter for the judge to decide. The cop did his part by sending forth the charge, now I have a right to defend myself and I do not feel there is anything immoral about that. As far as my son is concerned, after reading through all the law and the discussions we have had about what all is going on, he just might become a lawyer some day and specialize in traffic tickets. I am glad nothing bad happened that night and there was no accident or injury. I was not looking for a moral lesson here. I appreciate all that I have learned from the comments and opinions, especially from LEO's that help me understand the perspective of a LEO, the process of the stop, my rights, and be better prepared for dealing with the legal system.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is a rough audience of LEO's as I would expect. My son and I decided we would not try that again. He will get his learner permit at the first opportunity after the beginning of the year. With the exception of having a couple beers with a neighbor, I've not had anything to drink since that time, so I really don't consider alcohol to be one of my problems. As far as the charge/ticket/citation is concerned, that is a matter for the judge to decide. The cop did his part by sending forth the charge, now I have a right to defend myself and I do not feel there is anything immoral about that. As far as my son is concerned, after reading through all the law and the discussions we have had about what all is going on, he just might become a lawyer some day and specialize in traffic tickets. I am glad nothing bad happened that night and there was no accident or injury. I was not looking for a moral lesson here. I appreciate all that I have learned from the comments and opinions, especially from LEO's that help me understand the perspective of a LEO, the process of the stop, my rights, and be better prepared for dealing with the legal system.
    You do realize that MOST of the backlash is coming from members who are NOT leo's. There are only a handful of us on these boards.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

I am glad you have decided this and said this. You have my apology for my reaction. I will admit that I was a bit estatic in my response to this, but please understand that as a gun bearing community, these things look poorly upon us. I have friends with children and hope to have some myself one day. Part of me understands your devotion in the education of your son and furtherment of his growth as a man. :yesway:

Life becomes alot more clearer without that foul temptress of Lady Alcohol.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, and hope that the powers of the cosmos, which ever you choose, assist you in your journey of raising a family and continueing on the genetic line that is TTravis. :)

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am glad you have decided this and said this. You have my apology for my reaction. I will admit that I was a bit estatic in my response to this, but please understand that as a gun bearing community, these things look poorly upon us. I have friends with children and hope to have some myself one day. Part of me understands your devotion in the education of your son and furtherment of his growth as a man. :yesway:

Life becomes alot more clearer without that foul temptress of Lady Alcohol.

I wish you luck in your endeavors, and hope that the powers of the cosmos, which ever you choose, assist you in your journey of raising a family and continueing on the genetic line that is TTravis. :)

No offence taken. I wouldn't put all this out there if I could not take the heat.

I hope you do have kids someday. I hope you get to be a coach, scoutmaster, youth leader, and involved in everything they do. I hope you teach them to hunt, fish, and enjoy the great outdoors. Hopefully by the time they grow up, they will still have some constitutional rights left.

As for me, my kids will be all grown up and gone in just a couple years. I think I did a pretty good job based on the way they are turning out.

BountyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Gibson County
    TT, I get your premise.......

I believe you are on the right track, The stop was ILLEGAL to begin with, there fore everything after the fact is inadmissable.Everyone is missing that FACT, I'm with you on fighting it, go for it Brother, as it was stated by HammerHead, everyone has the right to defend themselves.
    Personally I think you will prevail, oh and I wouldnt be intimadated by the LEO's here.
    Good Luck and GodSpeed,
    BountyHunter

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010

I fully agree with you invoking your right to defend yourself in court. My entire problem with this entire thread is the lack of owning up that a mistake was made by you and that you put your son in a dangerous situation.

Do not, err, DO NOT(!!!) allow your son to become a lawyer and specialize in traffic citation defense. He will be more broke than the cops that write the things. At least defend the obviously-guilty OWI's. Sleep won't come easy but at least he will have the ability to purchase a top of the line trophy wife.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I fully agree with you invoking your right to defend yourself in court. My entire problem with this entire thread is the lack of owning up that a mistake was made by you and that you put your son in a dangerous situation.

Do not, err, DO NOT(!!!) allow your son to become a lawyer and specialize in traffic citation defense. He will be more broke than the cops that write the things. At least defend the obviously-guilty OWI's. Sleep won't come easy but at least he will have the ability to purchase a top of the line trophy wife.

^^^^ What he said... I have told Travis several times to talk to a lawyer. Don't take for granted what anyone, anyone tells him. He has his right to be heard in a court of law and the ability to have any evidence seen by a judge or a jury of his peers. DO NOT REPRESENT YOURSELF, BIG MISTAKE.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom