• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    For whats its worth...the various LEOs I have asked, all like to know if you have a weapon. They are not real huge fans of surprises of that nature.

I am not trying to derail this thread with the whole discussion, but I want to point out that the decision to inform v. not inform is not nearly as simple as you post implies. If it were that simple, there wouldn't be huge debate about it. Do whatever you see fit, but please search a bit for the discussions so that you are making an informed decision. Members here have gotten all pissed off that they had the serial number run on their gun, or got it back completely disassembled, etc but they were the ones who offered the information to the LEO in the first place.

I am not saying you should do it one way or another, and I am not criticizing LEO (just a small minority of them), I am just trying to encourage you not to learn your lesson the hard way.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yep...look what happened to the last guy that gave that info up...

Sheriff3-1.jpg

And relax...it's a joke... :D I happen to know that is NOT what this guy was doing...he was OC'ing. :lmfao:

Whether you offer that info is up to you! ;)

Man...I like those boots!

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    All of the pro-gun cops I've known over the years told me not to volunteer. They'd rather not know... UNLESS they asked or you were told to get out, then answer honestly, usually starting with "I have a valid license to carry and I am carrying..."

+1 for Highland PD. I've had good interactions with them (never as a law breaker, but in other capacities).

Munster is also a good PD as well.

My only two traffic stops in Indiana were by a Dyer cop (illegal u-turn, got a warning but I still don't think it was illegal). Funny thing about that stop was that it was in Highland on 30 by the Meijer, go figure. and one by Munster, illegal left across calumet - I had no ID what so ever on me and 2 guns, lol. Perfect traffic stop and got a warning as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For whats its worth...the various LEOs I have asked, all like to know if you have a weapon. They are not real huge fans of surprises of that nature.

They would also like it if you would consent to searches of your house, car, and body on demand. Makes it easier to catch bad guys, you know.

Up to ya'll if you want to surrender your rights, or if you want to be an American.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Well, it was back during the winter, on a some what 50 deg day.

Coming just over the Johnson County line in Edinburg, I see a State Trooper pull out and mash the gas.

I wasn't the only one in my lane, but I was the last in line - and I wasn't speeding.

Sure enough, the lights come on and pulls me over.

I shut the truck off, put it in park, and removed my two licenses - driving and hand gun.

When he got to the door he said, "License and reg...."

Didn't even have to make the entire request.

"The reason why I stopped you is you have a license plate light out. Do you have a firearm in the vehicle Mr. Martindale?"

"Yes sir I do."

"Can you tell me where it is?"

"On my hip sir."

"Ok. Im going to open the door here, and Im going to ask you to step to the rear of the vehicle."

He then proceeded very calmly to tell me that he was going to remove my pistol from my hip due to the fact that he didn't know me - for his safety and mine.

He then went to his cruiser to run both licenses.

And then I waited....

And waited..................

And waited..................................

30 minutes rolls past.

And finally he comes back from his cruiser.

"I've got to admit something to you Mr. Martindale, thats a damn fine weapon you have there and I fondled it. But Im sorry to keep you waiting - you're one round short now. You see, when I racked the slide the round fell out - and dropped in between the seats. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to fish it out. I can't get it. I owe you a round of ammo."

We both sat there at the back of the truck with a chuckle. Turns out I know several of his state trooper friends which are close friends of mine.

"I pulled you over for the tail light being out because I was bored out of my mind. Been a slow morning."

Had about a 30 minute chat or so about how I like my Walther P99 and how he liked his Sig.

Gave me a warning for the light being out - told me he'd get me that round of ammo - and we both were on our way.

As I drove away my cell phone rang. It was my friend Trooper Thalls.

"I hear you met Trooper Harrison?"

LOL!

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    So, did you ever get your round of ammo?

Nope. Not real worried about it. The Trooper went beyond being professional - he was human to me. He respected me. It was 630 in the morning. Most people are not human at 630 in the morning. He gave up over an hour of his time - for me. He didn't have to try to retrieve the round. He could have just come out of the cruiser and tell me to go @#$@# myself.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Or the incident could have been avoided entirely, if he hadn't been bored.

Just doing his job. You'd be surprised at how much stuff is found when only being pulled over for a tail/head/license light out.

And you know what? The incident could have been avoided entirely if I didn't have a license plate light out.....

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    Better to have a little road rash on your face than 14 holes in your back. Respect and politeness can go a long way in making an interaction go one way or the other. As far as getting a gun back in parts, its a Glock what could go wrong? :)

About the searching of my car and home ect... Our civil liberties got tossed into the can a long time ago. It will be up to us to take them back. In the mean time I'll ask them to kick me in the ribs, I need my pretty face to work and pay their taxes.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    You mean he didn't pull you out of the car throw you on the hood as he disarmed you, then disassemble your weapon while he used your face to polish his Jack Boots????:D

Where is FPD??? :dunno:

I thought the above was stanard procedure!!!:laugh:

DANG IT!!!!!!! I just talked to him about that last week, now I'm gonna have call him and set him straight AGAIN....................Where did I put that phone number?!?!?!?!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nope. Not real worried about it. The Trooper went beyond being professional - he was human to me. He respected me. It was 630 in the morning. Most people are not human at 630 in the morning. He gave up over an hour of his time - for me. He didn't have to try to retrieve the round. He could have just come out of the cruiser and tell me to go @#$@# myself.
    You never got it back??? You should contact an attorney immediately. Tell them that round belonged to your great, great, great grandfather...and that you're now devistated by the loss. You're unable to sleep, unable to eat...can't work...too upset to have sex...

You can get a new house out of this... a new Escalade or two...put 12 kids through college...retire tomorrow... Call my lawyer...immediately!!! Dewey, Screwem and Howe.

:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Just doing his job. You'd be surprised at how much stuff is found when only being pulled over for a tail/head/license light out.

And you know what? The incident could have been avoided entirely if I didn't have a license plate light out.....

When I picked up a police vehicle for duty in the Air Force, we had to make sure that all headlights, taillights, light bar, siren, radio and all other vehicle equipment worked and annotated it on the AF vehicle form 1800 if there were any issues. It does not take that much time to go over your vehicle every now and then to inspect all of the equipment; this may even save some time in the long run :)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When I picked up a police vehicle for duty in the Air Force, we had to make sure that all headlights, taillights, light bar, siren, radio and all other vehicle equipment worked and annotated it on the AF vehicle form 1800 if there were any issues. It does not take that much time to go over your vehicle every now and then to inspect all of the equipment; this may even save some time in the long run :)

Whether it took much time or not depended on how new the vehicle was. A new one took forever... no one wanted to be the one who missed the first MDS LOL.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    He gave up over an hour of his time - for me. He didn't have to try to retrieve the round. He could have just come out of the cruiser and tell me to go @#$@# myself.

Or did he waste an hour of your time because he was "bored"?

What if that hour made you late for work? I hope your boss would have been sympathetic to you being late because of your interaction with the police. At the least you would have lost some pay while it didn't effect the LEO's job or income one bit.

Top Bottom