• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    The best place to buy a gun from a private party is at Gander Mountain after they have just insulted the guy with their offer. If you offer him $25 more, he will take it every time.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    ya

Went into a local shop and offered a AMD65 with Russian drum, case, and 3 mags for 450$ This thing was mint I wanted to get funds for my SGL. The owner told me they had no need for Amd's or a drum mag,,two or so weeks after, they had 3 on the wall and a few romanian drums on the shelf...oh well,

i still like the place.

They must have gotten them reaaal cheap:dunno:

I offered it to another Shop south of Indiana the owner said I had the foward grip on backwards!!!! LOLOL!!!

:twocents:INDYk

Last edited:

bothehunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    shelbyville
    i know if u go to gander mtn, they have a formula they calculate no matter what you trade in, something like 60% of the value of a gun is what u get. u might as well buy new in there as opposed to used, they are about the same prive.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    i know if u go to gander mtn, they have a formula they calculate no matter what you trade in, something like 60% of the value of a gun is what u get. u might as well buy new in there as opposed to used, they are about the same prive.

Every once in a while, you get a good deal in there. I have bought a couple of guns there I won't get hurt on if I sell them If you are looking to make money then definitely go somewhere else.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    When I had a gun shop, I would encourage guys to sell them on consignment so they could set their own price. I would make $25 per gun on the transaction and they would get what they wanted out of the guns.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    What I can't stand is when they look at you and make you think the piece they have is better than the one down the road, that's why theirs cost $25 dollars more. I've seen dealers do stuff that would make a humble man go to church.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Honestly, I get pretty good trade in values. I got $200 for a shotgun, and they got $240 on the tag to sell it. BUT, I do spend a lot of money there. I think the loyalty and money you spend helps determine what they give. Like if you were to walk in off the street never being there before (this is anywhere) I think the TIV is must less than if you frequent a place.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Dealing with the Public

I am a small part time dealer / full time collector and set up at local shows only. I love historical guns and have spent 40+ years reading, learning and collecting them. I started selling some of my collection off a few years ago and was amazed how mis informed so many people are. Every show there's at least one "know it all". And regardless of how scarce a gun may be I always, and I mean always have one person per show who tells me he inherited at least a full crate of those guns. Oddly, they never bring them into sell tome. On the flip side are the few new collectors who really want to learn about a specific firearm and are willing to let you teach them. These people make it enjoyable and makes it all worthwhile. :draw:

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    What is this talk of trading in a gun????? Selling a gun????? That is like sharing your wife!!!! Ain't doing it!!!!!!!! :):

I couldn't agree more!!

Want to hear the best story yet? I went with my brother a couple weeks ago when he bought a brand NEW ruger revolver from a dealer who shall remain nameless. My brother was fairly happy with his purchase until we got back to his place and inside the booklet for the gun was the receipt from the original sale of the gun back in 2007!!!!!

Needless to say the dealer when confronted with this receipt ( serial number and all) backed out of his "all gun sales are final" policy real quick!!!!
    In fairness the dealer was not a sponsor of this website and I think my brother will be doing business with a few that are in the future.

Last edited:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    I always tell guys to sell them outright first, we do have to make some money on what we sell. If a used Glock sells on the market to consumers for 400, as a shop I've got to get it for less than that, cause that what I am going to have to try and sell it for, and well all know that everyone wants a deal so I've got to think ahead that I might sell this for 350, so I have to take that into account as well. We're not buying gun cause we want them ( although at times, yes it's cause we want them ) we mostly buy them to resell them.

If you're trying to get the most of it, find another "consumer" who is buying a gun cause they want to use it, not a shop who's buying it to sell it.

Although I do want your used guns of course. It allows us to offer products at a substantial savings to our customers..
    some people dont realise the overhead of qwning or running a shop utilities insurance ,labor rent or payments on building but im not saying you need to "give them away" im just saying the have expences like alll other businesses

hbarnett1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Pawning a gun in Indiana

Hello,I was told that it is not legal to pawn a handgun in Indiana.I was told you are allowed to sell them to a pawnbroker,but cannot pawn a handgun in this state.Anybody know if this is true or not?Thanks for any info.......:dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    1. A dealer will make more off of a used gun then they will a new gun.
    2. A dealer has to make money.
    3. Different dealers sale more of certain guns, depending on location. Dealer A may sale more Glocks, where as Dealer B may sale more M&P's. Dealers do not want to sit on guns they will have trouble selling.
    4. If you buy a gun new for lets say $500. On average that guns sales LNIB for $375. They are not going to give you $375, again they have to make money.
    5. It's best to look around to see what a particular gun sales used for, before you decide to sell.
    6. You'll typically make more selling FTF, as the buyer does not have overhead.

It's all about buisness, but some dealers are pricks and will try to rip you off.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Hello,I was told that it is not legal to pawn a handgun in Indiana.I was told you are allowed to sell them to a pawnbroker,but cannot pawn a handgun in this state.Anybody know if this is true or not?Thanks for any info.......:dunno:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch4.html

IC 35-47-4-2
    Loans secured by handguns
    Sec. 2. A person who makes a loan secured by a:
    (1) mortgage;
    (2) deposit; or
    (3) pledge;
    of a handgun commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Top Bottom