• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Apparently a car maker who is not owned by the federal government has the temerity to suggest that cars do not magically rewire themselves.

Considering that this Chicago shakedown is based on magic, there will be heck to pay for Toyota making a statement based on reason and science.

Toyota Sudden Acceleration Backlash - Popular Mechanics

I wrote here last week how improbable it was that electromagnetic interference (EMI) could fool the Hall-effect sensors that were the subject of the massive recall of 2.4 million late-model Toyota and Lexus vehicles. Specifically, I talked about how the sensors were redundant and isolated, and how it was extremely unlikely that random radio waves could induce spurious signals that trick the engine computer into commanding the engine to go full throttle.

Then professor of automotive technology Dave Gilbert, of Southern Illinois University's auto technology department, went ahead and modified a new Avalon to go to full throttle with the flip of a switch, by altering the same circuits I wrote about. Gilbert appeared on ABC news and testified before Congress that his manipulations demonstrate how easy it is for Toyotas to accelerate out of control. And there's more: He suggested that his analysis shows how all electronic throttles are inherently dangerous, because Toyota's throttle-pedal electronic architecture is similar to that used by almost every car manufacturer.

Whew. I must say the video footage that ABC aired is compelling. Gilbert demonstrates how a seemingly simple short in the throttle pedals' circuitry can make the car go to wide-open throttle (WOT) at whim. Hide the women and children.

Except he's wrong.

Let's get specific: The Toyota throttles (as well as a lot of others) use two Hall-effect sensors, which operate between 0 and 5 volts DC. The voltage increases by 2 to 2.5 volts between the pedal position representing idle and the position for WOT. There are two discrete sensors on separate circuits. The second circuit runs about 2 volts higher than the first. Both sensors have independent 5-volt supplies and independent 0-volt reference returns (meaning they don't share a ground), and they aren't grounded to the chassis. The engine control module (ECM) calibrates the sensors' idle position at every engine start. And if the two sensors don't agree fairly closely as to the percentage of engine throttle called for, the ECM goes into a low-power, limp-home mode, sets a trouble code, and turns on the "Check Engine" light. This means that a sticky pedal may cause the engine to return slowly to idle or not at all. This also means that a using a cell phone or driving under a power line isn't very likely to make you crash and burn.

Here's what Gilbert had to do to make his Avalon go rogue: He had to cut open three of the six wires that travel from the pedal assembly to the engine computer. Two of the wires send the accelerator-position signals—one for each Hall-effect sensor—and one is a 5-volt power supply. Next he had to insert a specific 200-ohm resistor between the two signal wires. Finally, he had to generate a direct short between the 5-volt supply lines and the signal leads. The new wiring essentially mimicked a size-12 mashing of the pedal to the carpet and the engine went to WOT. Also, the order of the modification is important. Apply the 5-volt power lead to the wires before inserting the resistor and the computer would instead throw a fault code and go into limp mode.

Gilbert has managed to prove that he can game the system. Let's examine what would have to happen for such a fault to occur in a real-world situation: Say that, maybe, water is getting into the pedal assembly, or the pedal's wire loom connector is shorting stuff out. First off, the only moving part in the pedal is the part you step on, which has a magnet mounted to the far end. The magnet sweeps inbetween a pair of Hall-effect sensors, which are potted in epoxy to keep them dry and safe. The wiring connector on the pedal has an 0-ring seal to keep out moisture. The individual wires that go into the mating end of the connector have individual seals on them that do the same, and the whole business has a mechanical latch to keep it nice and tight.

There's more. The two signal wires aren't adjacent inside the connector; they're separated by two other wires, one signal ground and one supply wire. So our theoretical 200-ohm, corrosion-induced electrical path would have to bypass two other conductors. That's another big hurdle. Typically, when you find corrosion inside wiring like this, the resistances are closer to 2000 or 2 million ohms, not as small a resistance as 200 ohms. And the resistance value is very specific: A 10 percent difference up or down would put the two sensors out of the acceptable voltage range and wouldn't call up WOT. Even if heavy corrosion were to bridge the connector, how likely is it to be exactly the resistance that's needed?

The next thing in the sequence is a dead short from either of the signal lines to a 5-volt power line. Again, the resistance path usually seen as a result of corrosion is customarily thousands of ohms or more, not the very low resistance needed to energize the signal lines. And, yes, it has to happen in that order. Shorting the power line to the signal line has to happen last.

One pertinent factoid: Not a single case of sudden unintended acceleration (SUA) has been attributed to bad wiring. None. Toyota has been harvesting parts from vehicles with documented SUA issues as part of the recall, and they're checking them all. None of them have shown any sign of corrosion or shorted wiring. Toyota also illustrated that Gilbert's modification works on cars from many different manufacturers. During a webcast explaining the modifications, Toyota had a half-dozen cars built by a half-dozen companies that were rewired in the same manner. All of them produced the same result as that Avalon. The question is: What would make an engineering professor stick his neck out so far?

We can't answer that, but we do know that Gilbert was paid $1800 for his engineering study by Sean Kane, a safety consultant. Kane's for-profit firm Safety Research & Strategies Inc. works with lawyers who are currently suing Toyota over the sudden acceleration issue. He blames Toyota for making the fail-safes and redundancies in the accelerator system too easy to circumvent, arguing that Toyota should have engineered the system to be more robust.

My take on it is this: You can engineer around any safety system if you try hard enough. I had a car come to my repair shop years ago with the throttle stuck open partway. The cause was easy to find—the driver had used a coat hanger to hold the carburetor throttle blades partway open, because the throttle cable had snapped and he had no way to drive the vehicle with the engine at idle. Sort of the same thing as Gilbert's demonstration.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I tried unsuccessfully to see how much Toyota spends in advertising in Popular Mechanics. It seems Toyota keeps ad data secret also. Many hits on Toyota and Popular Mechanics came up, most of those were gushing reviews of Toyota products.
    Popular Mechanics couldn't possibly be a biased publication could it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    We get it, BE - you don't like Toyota.
    But that still doesn't dismiss the fact that it still seems to be an overblown witchhunt, man... especially if they had to go to this sort of measure to deliberately try to get the electronics to fail.

I respect you. I think you're a well-reasoned, intelligent guy... but pick your battles, man. Even if PM does take a lot of ad revenue from Toyota, and like you, I'm not sure if they do - if the results are replicable and what's written is factually true... not sure what there is to dispute, myself.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    We get it, BE - you don't like Toyota.
    But that still doesn't dismiss the fact that it still seems to be an overblown witchhunt, man... especially if they had to go to this sort of measure to deliberately try to get the electronics to fail.

I respect you. I think you're a well-reasoned, intelligent guy... but pick your battles, man. Even if PM does take a lot of ad revenue from Toyota, and like you, I'm not sure if they do - if the results are replicable and what's written is factually true... not sure what there is to dispute, myself.

I'm not giving any validity to the testing done by the nutjob. I think he wants his 15 minutes of fame. The ABC news report is garbage as well. I don't think any of this exonerates Toyota.
    They have been too secretive. They have known about this problem for sometime. First they blamed the floor mats and then later the gas pedals. Do you trust that there isn't a problem?
    Are all of these cases simply stupid drivers?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you trust that there isn't a problem?

I trust one thing, that Toyota is being shaken done by a gang of Chicago thugs in the White House and their co-conspirators in the media.

This is driven by fraud and deception, see above, and ulterior motives of grabbing more market share for GM and Chrysler based on politics, not merit of the vehicles.

The federal government is attempting to drive a private business into the ground. We should all be greatly concerned.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I trust one thing, that Toyota is being shaken done by a gang of Chicago thugs in the White House and their co-conspirators in the media.

This is driven by fraud and deception, see above, and ulterior motives of grabbing more market share for GM and Chrysler based on politics, not merit of the vehicles.

The federal government is attempting to drive a private business into the ground. We should all be greatly concerned.
    Agreed. Regardless of where your loyalties lie in this instance, the HUGE conflict of interest here should frighten anyone.

Look at it from a purely objective point of view. If you work for company A and the government suddenly becomes owner of your competitor, then they become your judge, jury and executioner.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Agreed. Regardless of where your loyalties lie in this instance, the HUGE conflict of interest here should frighten anyone.

Look at it from a purely objective point of view. If you work for company A and the government suddenly becomes owner of your competitor, then they become your judge, jury and executioner.

Has that worked for the USPS against UPS, FedEX, DHL or many others?

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire

Not really a fair argument since the post office has been around in some form since 1775 and UPS was created in 1907 to cater to a different market. It is not even a remote comparison.

This is a situation where the govt purchased 2 of a dozen competing companies and then (appears to be) trying to use its power to scare people away from another brand.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    This is a good lesson in what Washington will do to private insurance companies if they manage to get their health-care bill passed.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Not really a fair argument since the post office has been around in some form since 1775 and UPS was created in 1907 to cater to a different market. It is not even a remote comparison.

This is a situation where the govt purchased 2 of a dozen competing companies and then (appears to be) trying to use its power to scare people away from another brand.

It's not working. Toyota sales for the 1st week of March are up 50.5% over last year.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, because people see what .gov are doing and are buying Toyota.

This is my protest:

0712or_26_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_trd+in_snow.jpg

:D

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Are all of these cases simply stupid drivers?

Probably not all but did you hear the 911 tape of the guy driving the
    Prius that had the presence of mind to be able to dial 911, talk to a dispatcher
    but could not shift his vehicle into neutral?
    She asked him if he tried to shift into neutral and he said he did not know,
    he was driving at 90 mph and freaking out, his breaks were "gone".
    I think people are panicking when they are not pressing on the gas
    and the car keeps going.
    Don't hit someone else - put that sucker in the ditch.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Does it not try to compete in packages?
    Yes, there is some indirect competition as far as packages are concerned, but again we are talking apples and oranges as far as industries are concerned and they don't have the leverage from a regulatory/safety standpoint to try and bludgeon those companies.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North

Actually, for me, it has. I used UPS for about a year shipping out our packages (3-10 per week) and then we got an account with USPS and it is a much cheaper, faster service. I used to pay UPS about $12-$15 per package and it took a full week to get there. I now pay USPS $5-$10 per package and it takes 2-3 days to get to where it's going. Meanwhile USPS is going broke, but they just get more money from the government. Not to mention the fact that everyone who works at my Post Office is extremely nice and professional, and the lazy women who work at the local UPS store act like they're raising a barn when they have to weigh a package.

USPS is much cheaper to ship larger packages too. Have any of you ever shipped a long gun? Who did you use?

Don't get me started on DHL. They aren't even considered a shipper in my book. I would have more luck punting my package in the middle of the night and hope it gets to where I need it. I had TWO separate instances where DHL had my package bouncing all over Germany and then I had to pay for shipping again when it got to the US. I'll never use them again.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You are all wrong! Those that want to bad I7BO for this are just "hating" the fact that our beloved CHOSEN ONE is in office.

Here is who is to blame for all of this:
    blame_bush.jpg

Top Bottom